Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Children Forced to Throw Away Lunch

america school children food

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

As many as 25 students at a Massachusetts school were denied lunch this week – with at least some forced to dump their food in the garbage – because they couldn't pay, school officials and parents said.
Outraged parents said some students at Coelho Middle School in Attleboro cried when they were told by a worker for the district's food service provider they could not eat on Tuesday because they couldn't pay or their pre-paid accounts were short on funds.

The on-site director for the company, Whitsons Culinary Group of Islandia, N.Y., was placed on administrative leave by Superintendent Pia Durkin, who has also scheduled a meeting with company officials and ordered cafeteria workers not to deny any child food.

"There is no way any child in my school district will ever go hungry," Durkin told The Sun Chronicle ( ) on Wednesday. "Children need to eat." http://bit.ly/10yXr6y

Students who cannot pay or whose accounts are empty are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and milk, but that procedure was not followed at Coelho, Durkin said.

Read More

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#2    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

ewww! Cheese sandwich?

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#3    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,050 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

POPULAR

Really, prisoners get free food but our children don't? Unreal :angry:

Jen Ingemi, parent of a fifth-grader, said the girl behind her son in line began crying when she was told to throw out her lunch. He said her son offered to share his.
Now that's a good kid right there. At least this article does have at least one shining moment. :yes:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,247 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostMentalcase, on 09 April 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

ewww! Cheese sandwich?

A grilled cheese sandwich is not a bad thing - as long as it comes with a big bowl of tomato soup..

#5    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

So wrong :no:

#6    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

All this story is missing is some kid that made a finger gun motion and held up the lunchline and getting arrested for it.

Shameful !!

#7    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 09 April 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

All this story is missing is some kid that made a finger gun motion and held up the lunchline and getting arrested for it.

I'm sure by the end of the day, that will be another story we get to post here.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Besides the obvious fact that it was done to children, the amount of food we throw away is absolutely disgusting. My housemate works as a book seller in a big name bookshop, she also works in their cafe. (half and half type thing) They throw out so much food with the sell by date of the next day. perfectly edible sandwiches and cakes. I'm talking full black bags. They don't allow anyone to take it. I know thta it's health and safety causing it, but at least get the employees who could take the food to sign something saying the company isn't liable if it they become ill etc. It's disgusting, money doesn't grow on trees, but food actually does.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,716 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 09 April 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Really, prisoners get free food but our children don't? Unreal :angry:

Now that's a good kid right there. At least this article does have at least one shining moment. :yes:

I dunno man...free food for kids may not be such a great thing. It'd probably be the equivalent to taco bell's 35% actual beef, or worse. lol

Edited by WoIverine, 09 April 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#10    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

In my town, they give kids without lunch money a peanut butter sandwhich.

#11    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostMyles, on 09 April 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Yeah she says that kids without lunch money are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and some milk, but for some reason they didn't do it. They just wouldn't let them eat anything.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#12    Taun

Taun

• 5,247 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostRockabyeBillie, on 09 April 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Yeah she says that kids without lunch money are supposed to be given a cheese sandwich and some milk, but for some reason they didn't do it. They just wouldn't let them eat anything.

It could have been an employee having a really crabby day, or just not knowing the policy and being a butt head about it...

#13    Taun

Taun

• 5,247 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostCoffey, on 09 April 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Besides the obvious fact that it was done to children, the amount of food we throw away is absolutely disgusting. My housemate works as a book seller in a big name bookshop, she also works in their cafe. (half and half type thing) They throw out so much food with the sell by date of the next day. perfectly edible sandwiches and cakes. I'm talking full black bags. They don't allow anyone to take it. I know thta it's health and safety causing it, but at least get the employees who could take the food to sign something saying the company isn't liable if it they become ill etc. It's disgusting, money doesn't grow on trees, but food actually does.

There use to be a restuarant here in town that charged slightly higher for their meals (not drastically higher than most - just a bit) and if you ate everything on the plate (i.e. no waste) you were reimbursed the difference...  Actually worked for a long time - but the original owner passed away and the new owners stopped the practice...

#14    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostMyles, on 09 April 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Until one dies from a peanut butter allergy.

Edited by Sweetpumper, 09 April 2013 - 06:21 PM.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#15    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostTaun, on 09 April 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

There use to be a restuarant here in town that charged slightly higher for their meals (not drastically higher than most - just a bit) and if you ate everything on the plate (i.e. no waste) you were reimbursed the difference...  Actually worked for a long time - but the original owner passed away and the new owners stopped the practice...

I know there are coffee shops around the US where someone can buy a coffee and then pay for another (or however many they want) to put on reserve. These paid-for reserve coffees are for homeless people that can't afford to buy their own. They just go in and ask the cashier if there are any coffees on reserve and they're given one.

View PostSweetpumper, on 09 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Until one dies from a peanut butter allergy.

You're a ray of sunshine! LOL

Posted Image

Also tagged with america, school, children, food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users