Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Words cousins - add your own

SpiritWriter

Often I think of words and come up with other words that sound similar and when thinking about them I see how they are derived from each other.. probably having common root words in most cases. Do you guys do this too? If you do, and the words come to you and you feel like posting them please do so.

These are the ones I was thinking about today:

1. Trump and triumph

2. Console and council

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 4

Fantastic concept, "word cousins". Something I've never entered into my mind before.

But, English freely borrows (steals) words from other languages. It probably isn't that strange to have a word from the French that is so close that we also ripped off the Italians and have two slightly different definitions, which are closely related! 'Word cousins' as you say. I'm taken aback by the concept.

I'm too dumbfounded to provide you with another example. Other than, 'Quit' and 'Quiet'. :)

• Like 1

Scent and scintilla although their etymology differs.

Cattle and chattle sadly have the same origin.

I prefer using alliteration more than straight rhyming words within poetry.

read and read

Aren't you just conjugating the same word?

Guarantee and warranty.

If you try pronouncing guarantee in Spanish (think of the "gua" in Guatemala, it sounds even more like warranty.

• Like 3

Guarantee and warranty.

If you try pronouncing guarantee in Spanish (think of the "gua" in Guatemala, it sounds even more like warranty.

I like how your brain is working... ;-)

Saskatchewan and Sasquatch.

That one's too obvious. ._.

Interestingly, there have been no sightings of Sasquatch in Saskatchewan (which other Canadians call,'Saskatchebush').

However, the largest city in Saskatchewan (while not the provincial capital), is in fact 'Saskatoon'. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Guarantee and warranty.

And that is because warranty is derived from guarantee:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=warranty&searchmode=none

And that is because warranty is derived from guarantee:

http://www.etymonlin...searchmode=none

That was fairly obvious and the whole premise of this thread (I think). Had they not been related I would have stated that, "their etymology differs," or something similar.

I did learn that guard and ward are related through your link, so thank you. I've always loved that site BTW

Edited by I believe you

That was fairly obvious and the whole premise of this thread (I think). Had they not been related I would have stated that, "their etymology differs," or something similar.

I did learn that guard and ward are related through your link, so thank you. I've always loved that site BTW

Lol, yeah, I think I read the first post with my eyes closed.

Edited by Abramelin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Geek, so sleek

Hire and fire

• Like 2