Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran Making Missiles That Could Hit Europe

DC09

LONDON (Reuters) - Iran is working on long-range missiles capable of hitting European capitals, as well as nuclear and chemical warheads, an exile group said on Thursday.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), which has in the past given accurate information on some of Iran's nuclear facilities, said Tehran was working on missiles with a range of 1,600 to 1,900 miles, capable of hitting cities such as Berlin.

Iran denies any intention of making long-range ballistic missiles and says its existing medium-range missiles are purely for deterrence.

The NCRI told reporters Iran was carrying out research, testing and making the Ghadr 101 and Ghadr 110 missiles, comparable to advanced Scud E missiles, at the Hemmat Missile Industries Complex.

Ghadr means value or merit in Farsi and Shab-e Ghadr refers to the night the Koran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad.

The NCRI is a coalition of exiled opposition groups fiercely opposed to Iran's clerical rulers. The State Department lists the NCRI and its armed wing, the People's Mujahideen, as a terrorist organization.

The exiles also said Tehran had in August tested a Shahab-4 missile with a range of 1,200 to 1,900 miles, depending on the weight of the warhead. Shahab means meteor in Farsi.

Iran has acknowledged it can make large numbers of medium-range Shahab-3 ballistic missiles, capable of hitting Israel or U.S. bases in the Gulf, but has repeatedly denied Israeli accusations it is developing Shahab-4.

"Militarily speaking, by obtaining long-range and medium-range missiles, the clerics are trying to put many regions of the world, including all of Europe, within their range," NCRI's Ali Safavi told reporters.

The NCRI acknowledged that the missile programs did not contravene international law. It provided site maps and detailed explanations but had no blueprints of the work.

Safavi also said Iran's Shahid Karimi Industrial Group was pursuing nuclear and chemical warheads, but he gave few details.

Full Article

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zephyr

• Asterix

• Erikl

• twpdyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess the Europeans will have to worry about that. If they want to do something about it that is up to them.

I agree, as we can see the rest of the world doesn't want us playing "bully" as they say, so Iran should be shouldered upon the Europeans

Its not in Irans interests to try and attack Europe so I am very doubtful this would happen just a poor attempt by these people to scare monger.

Edited by Lottie

As much as Iran having nukes is a bad thing, if they were to even use them once, they would be nuked 10-fold worldwide and they know it. No nuke-owning country would be willing to take their side on the issue either (except maybe North Korea).

Yeah anno makes me laff to

Irans one or two pretty basic nukes (if they actually exist)that would probably be shot out of the sky against hundreds of british , american and french tactical nukes.

makes me laugh as well.

Kellalor

Seriously tho where do u dredge this utter sh*** up from , you crack me up ya really do.

Yes, cuz, you know... fear of retalliation is what kept Al Qaida from striking the US, and kept Afghanistan from supporting Al Qaida.

Edit:

Not to mention... fear of death is what keeps certain individuals from going and blowing themselves up in the name of god...

Edited by Stellar

cat.gif somehow i can't see north korea and iran being allied--

i can see north korea selling the technology though--

As much as Iran having nukes is a bad thing, if they were to even use them once, they would be nuked 10-fold worldwide and they know it. No nuke-owning country would be willing to take their side on the issue either (except maybe North Korea).

Oh really?

Gonna nuke your only sources of oil? Ha........Iran will use them because they hate you...........there is nothing logical to it........

.........THEY HATE YOU........... what part of that don't you people get?

The Islamic Extremists don't care what happens after they nuke you....just as long as they get to nuke you.............. blink.gifwacko.gif

Yes, cuz, you know... fear of retalliation is what kept Al Qaida from striking the US, and kept Afghanistan from supporting Al Qaida.

Edit:

Not to mention... fear of death is what keeps certain individuals from going and blowing themselves up in the name of god...

383897[/snapback]

Ho Ho Ho_ he he he... so right, Stellar! thumbsup.gif

People do that when they have no hope and have nothing left to lose. In the case of the Palestinian people they have been pushed to that point.

The Islamic Extremists don't care what happens after they nuke you....just as long as they get to nuke you.............. blink.gif wacko.gif

We know they have them. Why haven't they used them? Maybe it is the cost. If you only have one you don't want to wast it.

I want my own personal nuke. Shoulder launched nuke for Yule in case anyone is wondering what to get Darkwind. gunsmilie.gif

We know they have them. Why haven't they used them? Maybe it is the cost. If you only have one you don't want to wast it.

They don't have them yet...but they are working on it feverishly........don't worry though...they willNOT have a nuke...........it won't happen.... cool.gif

People do that when they have no hope and have nothing left to lose.

Nothing left to lose? Their life perhaps? Especially the foreign fighters that come into Iraq and drive truck bombs into the red cross... its not like they have nothing to lose out of it. THey do it because they believe they'll have a special place in heaven and god knows what else.

People do that when they have no hope and have nothing left to lose. In the case of the Palestinian people they have been pushed to that point.

the problem is, that doesn't describe the average bomber.

Edit:

383897[/snapback]

Ho Ho Ho_ he he he... so right, Stellar! thumbsup.gif

384155[/snapback]

Ho Ho Ho_ he he he... so wrong, Stellar! thumbsup.gif

Al Qaida did strike the US! Afghanistan never supported Al Qaida! Al Qaida was created and imposed on Afghanistan and its people by the Pakistanis, Saudis and the Americans! Only problem was that they got bored with the original task assigned to them by their masters and decided to do somethimg spectacular and gain the importance that they thought they deserved! rolleyes.gif

Al Qaida was created and imposed on Afghanistan and its people by the Pakistanis, Saudis and the Americans!

384974[/snapback]

Not exactly. Al Qaida was not created by Pakistanis, Saudis and Americans. Talibans were recognized as rulers by Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and United Arab Emirates, but even Talibans were not created by them. It's true of course that large part of Talibans were originated from Pakistan and islamic schools there, and Islamic parties in Pakistan, as much as Pakistani secret services did endorse them, but deep down Talibans were a movement of islamic students that apparently materialized out of nowhere and took control of Kandahar, from there to spread northwards. And at some point, even Talibans weren't very pleased with Al-Qaeda being in Afghanistani soil.

Al-Qaeda was not created by Pakistanis, let alone Saudis and Americans. All the rumours spreading around are just products of journalists' imagination. The only connection between Al-Qaeda and Americans is that in the 80's CIA funded indirectly many Afghanistan-based warlords (to use them against the Soviets) only those warlords were in fact transformed into terrorists, thus providing base for Al-Qaeda's future fighters.

but deep down Talibans were a movement of islamic students that apparently materialized out of nowhere and took control of Kandahar, from there to spread northwards. And at some point, even Talibans weren't very pleased with Al-Qaeda being in Afghanistani soil

That doesnt make much sense that the Talibans "materialized out of nowhere'!

There were billions of Dollares spent to creat and organise them and the Pakistani secret services along with the CIA played active roles in creating and installing the Taliban and their Arab off shoots, Al Qaida! One their original goal ( which was of course never achieved) was to by-pass Iran with an oil pipe-line that the Americans and their Pakistani friends thought could route through Afghanistan with the help of their puppets there! I'm afraid I cant agree with much of this post because it has big factual flaws in it original.gif

Funny how all this info is coming to light right when the US is turning it's sights on Iran.

Oh how conviiiiiiiiienient.

Funny how all this info is coming to light right when the US is turning it's sights on Iran.

Oh how conviiiiiiiiienient.

385069[/snapback]

Thats the Media for you, hyping it up as usual, a bunch of comedians. Whoever decided to wirte something as absurd as Iran making these missiles to target Europe has got to be nominated for the British Comedy Awards.

That doesnt make much sense that the Talibans "materialized out of nowhere'!

"Materialized out of nowhere" has the meaning that they didn't belong to any specific race, ethnicity or other background, and they were consisted of primarly Pakistani students but Tajiks and Uzbeks as well.

Pakistani secret services along with the CIA played active roles in creating and installing the Taliban and their Arab off shoots, Al Qaida!

Pakistani secret services did play active role in "facilitating" the Talibans, like I explained already, but Americans had nothing to do with them. American involvment in Afghanistan ended in 1989. As for Al-Qaeda, it had nothing to do with Taliban. When Bin Laden was sent away from Sudan, he found refuge in his well-known Afghanistan. Talibans accepted him, end of story.

One their original goal ( which was of course never achieved) was to by-pass Iran with an oil pipe-line that the Americans and their Pakistani friends thought could route through Afghanistan with the help of their puppets there!

Not entirely true..

It was not the American goverment that had the plan for the pipe-line; it was a company named Unocal, an american energy firm, in which the former ambassador to Pakistan, Robert Oakley, played a key part. American administration did see this of course as a good thing, since like you mentioned it would bypass Iran. But there's a difference between "accepting as preferable" a situation and installing the Taliban regime there.

I'm afraid I cant agree with much of this post because it has big factual flaws in it

Nobody forces you to agree with anything. Also, nobody can force the truth to be something different than what it is. Although, you could explain yourself as to what you consider "big factual flaws"

"Materialized out of nowhere" has the meaning that they didn't belong to any specific race, ethnicity or other background

Wrong! they were all Sunni fanatic extremists who considered the Shi'as as 'infidels' who had to be dealt with, and this sounded very pleasing to the American policy makers! You have made a new definition for "materializing out of nowhere" huh.gif

Pakistani secret services did play active role in "facilitating" the Talibans, like I explained already, but Americans had nothing to do with them. American involvment in Afghanistan ended in 1989. As for Al-Qaeda, it had nothing to do with Taliban. When Bin Laden was sent away from Sudan, he found refuge in his well-known Afghanistan. Talibans accepted him, end of story.

I like the way you play with words such as "facilitating" grin2.gif Are you serious or are you joking when you claim that Al qaida had nothing to with the Taliban? It's a bit too early to revise history since the events are too recent and still in living memory original.gif And that was not the end of story but as the events proved later, only the beginning of it whistling2.gif

It was not the American goverment that had the plan for the pipe-line; it was a company named Unocal, an american energy firm, in which the former ambassador to Pakistan, Robert Oakley, played a key part. American administration did see this of course as a good thing, since like you mentioned it would bypass Iran. But there's a difference between "accepting as preferable" a situation and installing the Taliban regime there.

Any child knows that American foreign policy is directly linked to ( if not dictated by), big business and their interests around the world! The policy of 'containment of Iran' was high on the agenda of American foreign policy makers, and the Taliban in the east and Saddam in the west were essential parts of this short sighted policy for many years! Only problem was that they didnt know what kind of monsters they were creating and supporting to achieve what is now known to be a failed policy! "Accepting as preferable" sounds like politicians trying to put cosmetics on an embarrassing situation that they have created! cool.gif

Nobody forces you to agree with anything. Also, nobody can force the truth to be something different than what it is. Although, you could explain yourself as to what you consider "big factual flaws

This is not about what I believe or what you believe! The truth is that wrong policies lead to many disasters such as the horrible events on 9/11 and the actual war in Iraq! The only way to avoid such disasters in the future is to accept the past mistakes and learn our lessons from them! trying to re-write history and playing with words in order to save a few politicians from embarrassment can only lead to more disasters! I think I have already answered your question about the flaws in what you consider as facts; which are closer to fiction! rolleyes.gif

I can't help but feeling that I have touched some sensitive nerve there zephyr. I wonder why grin2.gif

Anyway, it is obvious that you have pre-decided that my word is fiction for you, so I can't do much more to convince you otherwise.

Edited by Asterix

Hey Folks

The how they got them or the politics involved is at this time not that important. What is important is what is Iran's intentions with these weapons and can they be trusted to handle the responsibility of having the power of nuclear explosives? We can figure out the how and why later.