Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Makes Rain Smell So Good?

Still Waters

Step outside after the first storm after a dry spell and it invariably hits you: the sweet, fresh, powerfully evocative smell of fresh rain.

If you’ve ever noticed this mysterious scent and wondered what’s responsible for it, you’re not alone.

http://blogs.smithso...n-smell-so-good

The rain in the arid climates smells the best to me. It's cleansing the atmosphere of all that dust. Love the earthly scent.

• Like 1

then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. ;)

I've never smelt anything nice after a rain. :unsure2:

• Like 1

I love this smell! I notice it most right before it rains, or while it's raining. Yesterday was weird. At one point when I was outside the sun was shining, fresh snow was blowing around and it was all combined with that really strong spring rain smell. It was very windy so I think it was raining nearby or something, but it was a nice reminder that Spring is coming...

On an episode of Doctor Who, the Tardis (in female form) said what the smell was but I forgot the name for it. It starts with a p I remember that much.

On an episode of Doctor Who, the Tardis (in female form) said what the smell was but I forgot the name for it. It starts with a p I remember that much.

Petrichor.

Petrichor.

That was it...thank you!!!

I love the smell too. I just wish we didn't get so much rain while other countries don't get enough.

So, scientists have linked the smell of rain to that of the primal consumption of food. Not sure of the primal link, but it is interesting too, how clothes dried outside on a line, develop a nice smell.

Petrichor. What a good name for it. I love the smell of the woods after the rain, and the scent of garden dirt right afterward.

I had just assumed that rain washed all the pollen, dust and pollutants out of the air for a time leaving the fresh scent of clean, pure air in their place. You can get used to just about any smell if not too overpowering, it's like if you have a dog or cat, you may not notice the odor even clean animals can impart to your home until you have been away from home for a week. So I figured that you get used to the smells of "dirty air" and then when it rains the scent of the air changed enough to be noticed.

• Like 1

Acid rain smells good i guess. I would have loved to smell rian 300 years ago emmm

It is obvious. Rain cleans the air temporarily. There are also more negative ions in the air after a rainstorm.

It is obvious. Rain cleans the air temporarily. There are also more negative ions in the air after a rainstorm. at 27vet what you said is true but also yeah i agree that rain does make the oils of the plants come out as well.so in reality there is more than one answer.either way i used to live in Oregon it rain often and it did smell good the air fresher and cleaner and more pure.

• Like 1

I can't enjoy any aspect of rain. I get a terrible long lasting migraine headache right before it rains. Sometimes only when it has just started raining. And other times when it has just stopped raining. The smell of rain always triggers a form of a headache that makes me physically ill.

I love to watch the rain though, if I'm not double over in pain in bed!

I have been this way all of my life.

From my research, it would seem it has something to do with the ozone and that there is a small minority of people on the planet that is highly reactive to this type of ozone that penetrates the air when it rains... or something like that. I've also read that it has to do with the barometric pressure and if it's above a certain degree, this triggers these type of headaches in people that are reactive a high barometric pressure level.

I do not know how much or if any of that is true as fact, because there is a lot of scientific data involved and one would have to gather as much as they could and then compare and then make up their own mind... and I would like to spend my headache free days in other more exciting and adventurous matters;)

So, to those that can enjoy the rain, enjoy a little bit of it for me please!

Kind Regards.

Nice job, OP! :tu:

The fresh smell of rain also comes right when it starts raining at times. Very nice if you are by greenery but if you are in a parking lot and it has not rained in a while then the first scent is not pleasant at all. All the dirt, soda, and wahatever else got dropped on the lot all comes up at once...uck.