Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Hands

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'm right handed and I must prefer my right side. Coins, stuff go in my right pants pocket so I can retrieve it with my right hand or it goes in my left shirt breast pocket so I can also retrieve it with my right hand.

I'm pre ju dice! :w00t:

Edited by QuiteContrary, 29 March 2013 - 10:24 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#17    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Righty here but I try to change it up every now and them by writing and doing other right handed things with my left hand.  Read somewhere that it is good for left and right brain coordination,   some such noise.  Dunno if it works but my left hand had gotten better at writing.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#18    goodconversations

goodconversations

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

• We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. Anais Nin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 29 March 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

What hand do you prefer to use?

Oh i'm a normal person :-p. I'm a righty and it doesn't enjoy free will :-D

Posted Image
There's nothing more
erotic than a good
conversation

#19    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

View Postgoodconversations, on 29 March 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Oh i'm a normal person :-p. I'm a righty and it doesn't enjoy free will :-D
ah I see

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#20    goodconversations

goodconversations

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Why are most people right handed?

Posted Image
There's nothing more
erotic than a good
conversation

#21    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Because most people can't deal with the trials and tribulations that come with being left handed!
e.g. the smudge. (all left handers know exactly what this means!)

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#22    markprice

markprice

BANNED

• 3,718 posts

• BANNED

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 29 March 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

I'm right handed and I must prefer my right side. Coins, stuff go in my right pants pocket so I can retrieve it with my right hand or it goes in my left shirt breast pocket so I can also retrieve it with my right hand.

I'm pre ju dice! :w00t:

Wait a minute. . . you take the coins out then drop them in your left hand to count them or hold them in your right hand and count with your left hand. And what if you were holding a beer. . . if you drink with your right hand you would have to transfer the beverage to your left hand then what. . . you might have to set the beer down or drop the money on a table...

...I have too much time on my hands.

BANNED UNDERSTAND.

#23    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

View Postmarkprice, on 30 March 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Wait a minute. . . you take the coins out then drop them in your left hand to count them or hold them in your right hand and count with your left hand. And what if you were holding a beer. . . if you drink with your right hand you would have to transfer the beverage to your left hand then what. . . you might have to set the beer down or drop the money on a table...

...I have too much time on my hands.

Yes, I transfer coins to left hand to count with my right.

I don't stand around with a drink in my hands i have to fish money out for, so that's not a problem.
When I used to drink, let's see...I guess I paid while the drink sat on the bar then picked it up with my right hand. No problema.

Plus, my left hand isn't useless or anything. And I don't often count coins any more. I rarely use/carry any cash/coins anymore.
So it's even less of an "issue" for me.

#24    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Interesting topic... makes me think of my college days, there was a student in my theology class with deformities in both his arms, they were both short, one had vestigial fingers and the other had just a nub.  He used a laptop for notes and seemed pretty proficient using his nub on the right over his little fingers on the left.  Could have been due to the fact that his left arm was slightly shorter but I wonder if the dominant hand it's an indication of the side of the brain that is dominant.

I recall learning about what each side of the brain does in one of my  psych classes... something about left brain/right handed people tend to be more analytical and right brain/left handed tend to be creative...or something like that.  It's been a long time since college.

Hmm...then again, I'm a righty and am much more creative than analytical.  Maybe I have out backwards.  Anyone?

Edited by Lava_Lady, 30 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#25    goodconversations

goodconversations

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 30 March 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I recall learning about what each side of the brain does in one of my  psych classes... something about left brain/right handed people tend to be more analytical and right brain/left handed tend to be creative...or something like that.  It's been a long time since college.

Makes sense to me... i'm more analytical than creative. However, Edward De Bono has a very interesting view on creativity... turned out lateral thinking can be learned.

Posted Image
There's nothing more
erotic than a good
conversation

#26    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I knew one parent who had a problem (obviously) with left-handedness, so she forced her obviously left-handed child to use his right. He was still using his right hand as dominant as an older teen, not sure if he was ambidextrous due to that or not. Wonder what effects that has? She is obviously not the only parent to ever do that, crazy as it sounds.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 30 March 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#27    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 30 March 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

I knew one parent who had a problem (obviously) with left-handedness, so she forced her obviously left-handed child to use his right. He was still using his right hand as dominant as an older teen, not sure if he was ambidextrous due to that or not. Wonder what effects that has? She is obviously not the only parent to ever do that, crazy as it sounds.
Yeah wasnt there that whole thing with kids being taught to learn to work with the right hand because they thought If you used the left it was evil or something. I think I read about that somewhere.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#28    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 30 March 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Yeah wasnt there that whole thing with kids being taught to learn to work with the right hand because they thought If you used the left it was evil or something. I think I read about that somewhere.

She didn't think it was "evil", I never heard of that, and this was the late 1980's.

#29    markprice

markprice

BANNED

• 3,718 posts

• BANNED

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 30 March 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Yes, I transfer coins to left hand to count with my right.

Plus, my left hand isn't useless or anything. And I don't often count coins any more. I rarely use/carry any cash/coins anymore.
So it's even less of an "issue" for me.

Why not keep the money in your left pocket, then skip the transfer and count with the right.

And if your cards are in your back pocket on the left side...

I'm just saying I still use quarters and wish the coin pocket was on the left.

BANNED UNDERSTAND.

#30    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 30 March 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

She didn't think it was "evil", I never heard of that, and this was the late 1980's.
Oh ok, yeah I read somewhere that nuns would slap a ruler over a students hands that were writing with the left to stop them from doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users