Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guy Hacks into NASA and Pentagon Computers

stevemagegod

http://video.foxnews.../1904937787001/

I happened to catch this news story today. I find it very interesting that he claims that he did indeed find "Proof" of coverups. I am really hoping he leaks this to the internet. Non-Terrestial Officers Google Search should be interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2005/jul/09/weekend7.weekend2

He sat in his girlfriend Tamsin's aunt's house in Crouch End, and he began to hack. He downloaded a program that searched for computers that used the Windows operating system, scanned addresses and pinpointed administrator user names that had no passwords. Basically, what Gary was looking for - and found time and again - were network administrators within high levels of the US government and military establishments who hadn't bothered to give themselves passwords. That's how he got in.

Really Pentagon No Passwords? Thats basic Security 101

Edited by stevemagegod

http://video.foxnews.../1904937787001/

I happened to catch this news story today. I find it very interesting that he claims that he did indeed find "Proof" of coverups. I am really hoping he leaks this to the internet. Non-Terrestial Officers Google Search should be interesting.

His hacking was done a long time ago. Took them until now to stop the extradition.

There's already a thread about this:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235972&hl=

His hacking was done a long time ago. Took them until now to stop the extradition.

There's already a thread about this:

http://www.unexplain...topic=235972=

Aww well first time i heard about it

From what I understand our current cyber security is a joke. If we went to a full on war with another developed country anything with internet access is going down.

Hopefully they've taken discrete steps to upgrade it big time after this happened and the general public just hasn't been told about it...

Aww well first time i heard about it

From the link you provided:

Nothing much happened in the years since his arrest in 2002 under the Computer Misuse Act - no charges were brought against him in the UK. Then on June 8 this year, he suddenly found himself in front of Bow Street magistrates, the target of extradition proceedings. That's when the panic attacks kicked in again, the horror visions of life in an American jail. He had poked around, he says, but he hadn't broken anything, besides that one inadvertent mistake. He thought he was going to get a year, max. Now they're talking about 70 years.

He is a crook and a petty thief. This is what happens when one breaks the law.

You UFO buffs ought to hate him. He broke and entered, and then when he was caught, obviously he thought "how do I get support, the UFO nuts will fall for it, and there is heaps of them" and any geek knows this. If he really did have the sensitive information he claims to have, so would his ISP, and a dozen servers all over the world, and as the black cards roll up at your doorstep, you would hit "send" and email the information all over the world to every major media outlet with the touch of a button.

I think one has to be somewhat gullible to swallow his story. I doubt he ever was going to America, I think he is just an example to other would be hackers. It's not all that hard to be perfectly honest.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Bush was going to have him extradited to the US and sentence him to life imprisonment in some dark dungeon. Make no mistake about that.

Britain resisted this because the sentence would have been excessive, but this case was never a big priority for Obama. That was the difference that finally got the guy off the hook.

I think one has to be somewhat gullible to swallow his story. I doubt he ever was going to America, I think he is just an example to other would be hackers. It's not all that hard to be perfectly honest.

I rarely say this about you, Psyche, but you got this one really, really, REALLY wrong, about as wrong as could be.

• Like 2

I rarely say this about you, Psyche, but you got this one really, really, REALLY wrong, about as wrong as could be.

HI McGuffin

I understand why you might support him, but I do understand Information Technology rather well. I go back to the days when Windows was a twinkle in Bill Gates eye and I was using UNIX systems.

And I still do. UNIX is as good as it gets IMHO.

What he says makes no sense at all, it is more than obvious that he is making his story up on the fly. In fact I guarantee he is making it up. There is not a chance in hell that he could have got to all the information he said he would, and not have hundreds of copies ready to save his backside. He claims to be a computer admin, and as such, he also knows that his information is not only easily backed up in a dozen countries, where no US official can touch him, and backups would exist by default, He could have told the press how to get the jump on those who caught him and tell them where to look in his records for it.

Sorry MacGuff, this bloke is absolutely full of it from every angle. He broke the law and picked a soft target to cover his backside for him. I am more sure of this case than any other. Not one thing he has said rings true from an IT perspective.

• Like 2

Bush was going to have him extradited to the US and sentence him to life imprisonment in some dark dungeon. Make no mistake about that.

Britain resisted this because the sentence would have been excessive, but this case was never a big priority for Obama. That was the difference that finally got the guy off the hook.

More people than Bush did not believe him. He went to the European Court of rights in an attempt to stay the extradition, but they also did not feel his case was valid and refused him.

If there was something to his claim, Wikileaks would have exposed it. McKinnon is not a pimple on Assange's behind. Mendax is far superior to McKinnon in every way that matters.

ETA, in fact, there are many groups whom actually know what they are doing that all can do little more than chuckle at McKinnons BS. If you watch the doco "We Are Legion" it might give you an indication of McKinnon's incompetence.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

More people than Bush did not believe him. He went to the European Court of rights in an attempt to stay the extradition, but they also did not feel his case was valid and refused him.

You got this one all wrong, Psyche, I'm sorry, but you just do. I know something about this from the American side, and I promise you, the Bush administration was going to punish him big time--as an example. I know this.

Obama did not want to do so and pursued this case with no enthusiasm. This I do know.

• Like 1

HI McGuffin

Sorry MacGuff, this bloke is absolutely full of it from every angle. He broke the law and picked a soft target to cover his backside for him. I am more sure of this case than any other. Not one thing he has said rings true from an IT perspective.

They were going to ask for life imprisonment, Psyche. I know this, but I thought the sentence was extreme. So did many others over here.

From what I understand our current cyber security is a joke. If we went to a full on war with another developed country anything with internet access is going down.

Hopefully they've taken discrete steps to upgrade it big time after this happened and the general public just hasn't been told about it...

The IT "boffins" were using Windows with Terminal Services active, and did not password the admin account.

If these guys did not lose their jobs, that also would be injustice.

You got this one all wrong, Psyche, I'm sorry, but you just do. I know something about this from the American side, and I promise you, the Bush administration was going to punish him big time--as an example. I know this.

Obama did not want to do so and pursued this case with no enthusiasm. This I do know.

I do however, agree with the bolded. I feel this was the agenda all along.

They were going to ask for life imprisonment, Psyche. I know this, but I thought the sentence was extreme. So did many others over here.

I think most of the globe saw it as extreme, but I think that is just because most of the globe is not IT savvy. And I would expect such. Bill Gates took away the need for IT skill. It is akin to wandering into a police station and helping yourself to firearms. One can say "I never intended to use them" but that makes the crime no softer. A crime is a crime, and he broke into places that react to infiltration. If you break and enter, you will be charged, if you break and enter a military installation. it will go harder on you.

I think that the quiet side of how the admins he hacked were not punished also helped the McKinnon support.

I have absolutely no sympathy for criminals. And I know this one was lying about his so called data.

Yet the European Court of Rights had no time for him as well? Bush has no pull there.

He threatened to commit suicide if he went to an American Jail. That had more to do with the stay of extradition. Because he made the threat, the authorities are now responsible for keeping him alive. His mother stated that his suicide was certain, which contravenes the extradition act. If he does go to America, and he does take his life (as if) then they would be responsible, and are not allowed to take that gamble.

Edited by psyche101

Yet the European Court of Rights had no time for him as well? Bush has no pull there.

He threatened to commit suicide if he went to an American Jail. That had more to do with the stay of extradition. Because he made the threat, the authorities are now responsible for keeping him alive. His mother stated that his suicide was certain, which contravenes the extradition act. If he does go to America, and he does take his life (as if) then they would be responsible, and are not allowed to take that gamble.

There was a lot more going on then just that, the home secretary could have made this decision ages ago and ended this, the reason it was held off was to get Abu Hamza and those other odd balls sent to the US, then do what the British people and this current government have wanted for a long, and that is to enact a part of the treaty whereby Briitsh Courts now decide if a British Citizens stands trial here, not a foreign government. And this has been a no-brainer for a long time, if an International drugs smuggler, people trafficker, etc are operating from a british soil, it doesn't matter where their cargo ends up, the crime is committed from these shores, so it's tried under our law and in our courts. McKinnon case was a perfect example of this too, the offence may have ended up on US soil, but it was committed here, so our courts should deal with it. Now we have a more even playing field with extradition, which is how it should have been from day one.

Edited by The Sky Scanner
  • Like 2

There was a lot more going on then just that, the home secretary could have made this decision ages ago and ended this, the reason it was held off was to get Abu Hamza and those other odd balls sent to the US, then do what the British people and this current government have wanted for a long, and that is to enact a part of the treaty whereby Briitsh Courts now decide if a British Citizens stands trial here, not a foreign government. And this has been a no-brainer for a long time, if an International drugs smuggler, people trafficker, etc are operating from a british soil, it doesn't matter where their cargo ends up, the crime is committed from these shores, so it's tried under our law and in our courts. McKinnon case was a perfect example of this too, the offence may have ended up on US soil, but it was committed here, so our courts should deal with it. Now we have a more even playing field with extradition, which is how it should have been from day one.

Gidday Mate

Of course!

Makes good sense. I wonder how America would use this as a precedent with the Soldier fellow that shot up that innocent village a few months back? They wanted him brought back to America for trial, but the crime was committed in the middle east, and they wanted to punish him there.

Food for thought! Thanks for the comment, got me thinking about it a bit more! That would make something of an irrefutable precedent for the British Courts?

Cheers.

Gidday Mate

Of course!

Makes good sense. I wonder how America would use this as a precedent with the Soldier fellow that shot up that innocent village a few months back? They wanted him brought back to America for trial, but the crime was committed in the middle east, and they wanted to punish him there.

Food for thought! Thanks for the comment, got me thinking about it a bit more! That would make something of an irrefutable precedent for the British Courts?

In general, the US tries to prevent prosecution of its own personnel through SOFA agreements and similar treaties and legal devices, which is also why it never joined the International Criminal Court.

The US government often thinks that local standards of justice are often not exactly up to the level of Western legal norms, and having seen much of the world I know that's true. Of course, when it also rejects the ICC it lays itself open to the charge of hypocrisy and double standards, since it often fails to prosecute its own on war crimes charges--or some lower level people get a slap on the wrist.

As for Gary McKinnon, I have signed petitions on his behalf and even written to the Justice Department, as have other people I know. I never doubted that he somehow stumbled onto some real information about UFOs, but I think this should be made public in any case.

From the link you provided:

You UFO buffs ought to hate him. He broke and entered, and then when he was caught, obviously he thought "how do I get support, the UFO nuts will fall for it, and there is heaps of them" and any geek knows this. If he really did have the sensitive information he claims to have, so would his ISP, and a dozen servers all over the world, and as the black cards roll up at your doorstep, you would hit "send" and email the information all over the world to every major media outlet with the touch of a button.

I agree with the sentiment; however what has caused a lot of anger in the UK is the signing away of citizen's rights and allowing another nation to 'abduct' people here without due process.

He should be tried in the UK as a citizen of the UK, and that is what has caused the anger.

Then there is the ridiculous claims about damages running into hundreds of thousands of dollars that has never been substantiated.

It all leads to suspicion and conspiracy theories regarding the possibility that they want him because of what he saw. That is the price the US have to pay for decades of secrecy and denial.

So criminal hacker yes. Under the circumstances however and because of how the US authorities have mishandled the case, and behaved over the years regarding the ET issue they don't deserve to get Gary. Much better that the US uses it's money to correct it's appalling security problems and learn from it's mistakes. A little more truth and openness wouldn't go amiss either.

The consequences of it not doing so particularly with China training hackers by the thousands is simply terrifying.

Edited by zoser
  • Like 1

In general, the US tries to prevent prosecution of its own personnel through SOFA agreements and similar treaties and legal devices, which is also why it never joined the International Criminal Court.

The US government often thinks that local standards of justice are often not exactly up to the level of Western legal norms, and having seen much of the world I know that's true. Of course, when it also rejects the ICC it lays itself open to the charge of hypocrisy and double standards, since it often fails to prosecute its own on war crimes charges--or some lower level people get a slap on the wrist.

In the case of that soldier, they might well be right. Sharia law is just barbarism. However considering his crime, it might be justified. I would like to have seen him back in the states, purely because I think he should be closely looked at. If they can figure out what it is that snaps, we might be able to prevent such atrocities.

As for Gary McKinnon, I have signed petitions on his behalf and even written to the Justice Department, as have other people I know. I never doubted that he somehow stumbled onto some real information about UFOs, but I think this should be made public in any case.

I can say for sure he did not. It would have been too easy for a decent computer admin to recover his tracks via caches.

Not only that, but I bet rags to riches that he was not the only one. When Windows terminal services is set up how it was, it has no password. You just type Administrator and hit enter. I bet there are hundreds of businesses set up like this even now. He was the only one stupid enough to leave notes all over the computers. And I think if he was really gathering secret information, the last thing you would do is leave notes of bravado all over the palace. He thought he was a big time hacker, but he was pretty ordinary. Windows has a way of making people think they are in control of something they are not.

I agree with the sentiment; however what has caused a lot of anger in the UK is the signing away of citizen's rights and allowing another nation to 'abduct' people here without due process.

He should be tried in the UK as a citizen of the UK, and that is what has caused the anger.

Then there is the ridiculous claims about damages running into hundreds of thousands of dollars that has never been substantiated.

It all leads to suspicion and conspiracy theories regarding the possibility that they want him because of what he saw. That is the price the US have to pay for decades of secrecy and denial.

So criminal hacker yes. Under the circumstances however and because of how the US authorities have mishandled the case, and behaved over the years regarding the ET issue they don't deserve to get Gary. Much better that the US uses it's money to correct it's appalling security problems and learn from it's mistakes. A little more truth and openness wouldn't go amiss either.

The consequences of it not doing so particularly with China training hackers by the thousands is simply terrifying.

I disagree with the costs. Although the costs should be mitigated as they would have to have had to carry out works that should already be done. But when something like this happens, the bosses get together and implement a solution so it will not happen again, and IT solutions are rarely cheap. Had it not been McKinnon, it could have been a real threat, and who knows how many had a look before McKinnon did. So I think many were upset that was not mitigated as well, but I think the object was to put the fear of God into any other would be hackers.

And Guantanamo does seem harsh, but I always felt that was merely a threat, and it does seem to be.

I can say for sure he did not. It would have been too easy for a decent computer admin to recover his tracks via caches.

Not only that, but I bet rags to riches that he was not the only one. When Windows terminal services is set up how it was, it has no password. You just type Administrator and hit enter. I bet there are hundreds of businesses set up like this even now. He was the only one stupid enough to leave notes all over the computers. And I think if he was really gathering secret information, the last thing you would do is leave notes of bravado all over the palace. He thought he was a big time hacker, but he was pretty ordinary. Windows has a way of making people think they are in control of something they are not.

I never doubted that he was telling the truth, or that many people were incredibly lax about computer security--so much so that he just broke into their systems without too much trouble. Maybe he just got lucky, but it certainly upset and embarrassed a lot of people.

He was looking for UFO information and he got it. I'm not at all surprised to find that NASA alters or destroys UFO pictures because people have been saying that for decades. They have never given a straight answer on one single UFO case yet, but have been caught in lie after lie after lie.

Nor did it shock me to learn that we had a secret space program with very advanced technology since the military space missions existed even before NASA and people like Ben Rich and his colleagues said 20 years ago that such advanced technology already existed.

• Like 2

I disagree with the costs. Although the costs should be mitigated as they would have to have had to carry out works that should already be done. But when something like this happens, the bosses get together and implement a solution so it will not happen again, and IT solutions are rarely cheap. Had it not been McKinnon, it could have been a real threat, and who knows how many had a look before McKinnon did. So I think many were upset that was not mitigated as well, but I think the object was to put the fear of God into any other would be hackers.

And Guantanamo does seem harsh, but I always felt that was merely a threat, and it does seem to be.

If others have done it and gotten real UFO information, which I repeat should not be kept secret, then they have not "shared" it with the world.

If others have done it and gotten real UFO information, which I repeat should not be kept secret, then they have not "shared" it with the world.

As you already know, but for the benefit of others; the subject of ET's would be (definately is?) the most closely guarded topic involving highly compartmentalized, pyramidal layers, divided further by a spectrum of clearance levels in both government and private sector organizations. This does not prove that contact with ET's is, or has been going on. This level of security would likely exist even if no contact had ever been established at this point. For many reasons, it is in the interest of the "ones in the know" to have the global public believe that "they" may be privy to technologies far advanced from any current or potential "enemies of the state"

Keep 'em guessing. Typical cold war mentality still exists and will never change.

There's not a chance in hell that any hacker is going to find a single file with anything more than weather balloons or swamp gas.

That's my 2 cents,.

• Like 1

I thought that such people get recruted to army...

Edit : If he actualy releases any evidence than i'll back him up, otherwise plain and empty words i would have to agree with psyche...

Boons work...;)

Edited by Nuke_em