Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hearing voices?

dream hearing voices confused lucid dreaming medium

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    _Only

_Only

• 6,663 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostLeah G., on 18 December 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

First rule out the physical and mental, then go to the metaphysical.... after you know you aren't sick physically or mentally. Could be nothing more than a hormone imbalance and at your age, it's very likely...

Leah.

The only problem is that nowadays he or she could very well enter a doctors office, tell what happened briefly, and walk out of the room with a prescription sheet of paper for 2 different anti-psychotics, 2 anti-depressants, and a bottle of anti-anxiety meds for good measure. It's obscene.

This all happens in the magical in-between twilight state of waking and sleep. It is normal, definitely not fodder for psychological treatment. Give me a break.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#17    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,960 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Postkwaldrop22, on 18 December 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

I'll check it out but i really don't think I'm sick. You guys are telling me to see a doctor but the thing is they aren't bothering me, i just want to know why. and i guess it may be the Hypnagogia, which i'll look at in a second, but i'm not sick-they aren't telling me to kill myself or anything of that sort.
  I can say this with experience. See a doctor you trust, immediately. Describe your symptoms and thoughts clearly, simply and logically. Check your physical and mental health, even if you are scared of what you might find out.

This could be anything from a brain tumour, to a mental illness, through to a physical result of an allergy, reaction, or environmental cause.
The thing is to ensure your health first. Once you know you are well, you can investigate the voices without concern or fear, and  take the time to experiment and use logical deduction to find their cause and purpose. You aren't a doctor and are not qualified to say if you are ill or not. Just because the experiences do not worry you, does not mean they are necessarily physically benign or harmless. High blood pressure can kill you, without you feeling the slightest physical effect before it does.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#18    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,960 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Post_Only, on 21 December 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

The only problem is that nowadays he or she could very well enter a doctors office, tell what happened briefly, and walk out of the room with a prescription sheet of paper for 2 different anti-psychotics, 2 anti-depressants, and a bottle of anti-anxiety meds for good measure. It's obscene.

This all happens in the magical in-between twilight state of waking and sleep. It is normal, definitely not fodder for psychological treatment. Give me a break.
My response above is based on the Ops comments that these are not dream events but occuring in the waking world as hallucinatory events. That seems to be confirmed by the doctors reference to a drug based cause.

While all sorts of thngs happen in the dream state without any cause for concern, any break from reality in the waking state needs prompt medical attention. This is from a bloke who,  in the waking world, has met angels, god, and a variety of other paranormal entities, but knows he is completely healthy, sane, and highly functional because he got expert medical opinion which confirms it.. Otherwise I would always be worried that there was a physical or mental cause for my experiences.  Now i know that, while unusual, they are both real/physical, and relatively  common among healthy sane human beings, according to the medical experts I consulted.
No one in 60 years has ever offered or prescribed drugs for me, other than for high blood pressure and cholesterol, and i ve never been depressed or anxious in my life, although i have been under a lot of  external, work- related stressors in the last year. Strange things happen to perfectly well and normal people, but still, it is important to check your health first.

Edited by Mr Walker, 21 December 2012 - 11:32 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#19    _Only

_Only

• 6,663 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 21 December 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

My response above is based on the Ops comments that these are not dream events but occuring in the waking world as hallucinatory events. That seems to be confirmed by the doctors reference to a drug based cause.

While all sorts of thngs happen in the dream state without any cause for concern, any break from reality in the waking state needs prompt medical attention.

'As I went to bed at night' is the most important grouping of words in his OP. I've seen many threads I have seen here with people giving their experiences of hypnagogic hallucinations 'as I went to bed at night', swearing they weren't sleeping or dreaming. The hypnagogic state is famous for fooling people in this way, as the person has 1 foot in and 1 foot out of the dream state, fogging the boundaries between the two.

I forget which famous person in history it was who did the experiment of holding a glass in front of them while they drifted off to sleep. They swore they were awake the whole time until them actually falling asleep caused the glass to fall from their hands and shatter, waking them up. They were sure they were awake and were thinking, but the glass falling actually woke them up. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Hypnagogia

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#20    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,816 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Just wanted to add this:

View Postkwaldrop22, on 18 December 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I thought about someone that i'm not particularly fond of and a guys voice said destruction, and then i thought about one of my guy friends and it was a girl screaming out saying that "I don't want him"-her talking about she doesnt want him in my life(?) or something like that.

from the wikilink posted earlier:

While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time.

#21    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,960 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

View Post_Only, on 21 December 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

'As I went to bed at night' is the most important grouping of words in his OP. I've seen many threads I have seen here with people giving their experiences of hypnagogic hallucinations 'as I went to bed at night', swearing they weren't sleeping or dreaming. The hypnagogic state is famous for fooling people in this way, as the person has 1 foot in and 1 foot out of the dream state, fogging the boundaries between the two.

I forget which famous person in history it was who did the experiment of holding a glass in front of them while they drifted off to sleep. They swore they were awake the whole time until them actually falling asleep caused the glass to fall from their hands and shatter, waking them up. They were sure they were awake and were thinking, but the glass falling actually woke them up. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Hypnagogia
Yes, if its a dream state there is less cause for concern, although the reasons why this has developed and the symbolic /psychological causation of the content matter would be interesting to work out.

Once you understand the connection that exists betwen conscious and subconscious thought, and can  control this connection, you can both understand your real waking fears, and how they translate into the dream state; but you can also use your dreams to find expression of/ release  from, and solutions to, the actual physical fears and anxieties of "real"/waking life.

Dreams are the subconscious processing the conscious, and hence  can be creatively  manipulated to benefit the conscious mind  and to solve real life problems and anxieties /worries, rather than increase them.

Edited by Mr Walker, 21 December 2012 - 11:32 PM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#22    KW_Windy

KW_Windy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 21 December 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Yes, if its a dream state there is less cause for concern, although the reasons why this has developed and the symbolic /psychological causation of the content matter would be interesting to work out.

Once you understand the connection that exists betwen conscious and subconscious thought, and can  control this connection, you can both understand your real waking fears, and how they translate into the dream state; but you can also use your dreams to find expression of/ release  from, and solutions to, the actual physical fears and anxieties of "real"/waking life.

Dreams are the subconscious processing the conscious, and hence  can be creatively  manipulated to benefit the conscious mind  and to solve real life problems and anxieties /worries, rather than increase them.

the voices have stopped for a few weeks now- i think it was because of stress and stuff like that. we had already asked a doctor about it and he had said it was because of the medicine and stress so i am good now, thank you everyone for helping me out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users