Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Are we closing in on Bigfoot?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#166    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 January 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I completely agree, however unless you are at point blank range then buckshot may not give you the penetrating power you'll need to get to the vital organs and I can't tell you what the muscle density of a Bigfoot is or how it's internal organs are arranged. If you're more than fifteen yards from this creature I don't have a great deal of faith in buckshot. That's just me. Past twenty yards I don't have a great deal of faith in it on humans to be honest with you due to loss of energy and pattern spread. Of course, that's going to depend on things like barrel length and choke configuration

You're right, but I am thinking of an emergency scenario, on a trail or in the dense woods. In other words relatively close range. I would startle the bigfoot away with a harmless shot in the air my "boomstick" first depending on position of the bigfoot in relation to my own.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#167    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 January 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Grizzly Bear with a Bow....

Posted Image

Lion with a bow...

Posted Image

Any questions?

Is that you Sakari? Very impressive. The only thing ive ever killed is a spider about an inch in diameter.

I have however killed a musk ox, a bison and numerous foxes on Cabelas alaskan adventures for the xbox.
I highly doubt that counts though.

What does it feel like to kill a beast like that?

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#168    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

It's sort of understood that you have to be your own judge of your own "experience", however, it's a trade off you can carry a Barrett M107, but it's heavy and will take you a while to get ready. Just saying, there's a limit to protection versus your ability to carry.

#169    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 January 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

It's sort of understood that you have to be your own judge of your own "experience", however, it's a trade off you can carry a Barrett M107, but it's heavy and will take you a while to get ready. Just saying, there's a limit to protection versus your ability to carry.

Barrett M107 is overkill. But a nice bolt-action or leveraction rifle can be readied relatively fast. Or a shotgun. With the use of a sling.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#170    Vance665

Vance665

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

In my opinion the best rifle for hunting Bigfoot is an AR15 chambered in .458 socom. It has the same size and weight as any other AR and hits just as hard as a 12guage 1oz slug.

#171    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 10 January 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Barrett M107 is overkill. But a nice bolt-action or leveraction rifle can be readied relatively fast. Or a shotgun. With the use of a sling.

My point exactly, but then any not worth over doing isn't really worth doing at all. :whistle:

#172    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 January 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

My point exactly, but then any not worth over doing isn't really worth doing at all. :whistle:

Not if the boar or bear is seconds from goring or mauling, then it is absolutely necessary. One has to compensate for possible margins of error with the highest one shot kill probability. One wants to put that animal down and down QUICK!

But a Barrett M107, who would sling or carry this monster for a hike in the woods? That's .50 caliber?!

#173    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostVance665, on 10 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

In my opinion the best rifle for hunting Bigfoot is an AR15 chambered in .458 socom. It has the same size and weight as any other AR and hits just as hard as a 12guage 1oz slug.

Holy Crap! Nice weapon, however there are a couple reasons I'd pass on it. First reason is raw cost, the rifle alone is around $1500.00 when you can find them, the rounds are expensive as all get out. And......this is actually the biggest issue I'd have with it and that's that I'd be tempted to take a longer shot and possibly shoot a guy in a Ghillie suit. The further away you are then the less likely you are to be able to confirm your target. As far as self protection goes, that's a single issue. However, I would also be hunting for a Bigfoot. The Mossberg configured as I described is light weight, durable, accurate and compact and with the ammo I described, will give me kill power out to a maximum of 50 meters. Yeah, I know I can shoot further than that but 50 meters is my own self imposed maximum range for making sure I'm not shooting some idiot in a bloody monkey suit or another hunter in a Ghillie suit who's changing positions.

The base Mossberg will run me a bout $500 - $600.
Modifications (folding stock and flip up sights, installed) will run about $300
Ammo: Brenneke 12 Ga 3" 1 3/8 ounce lead sabot slug $11.95 per box. I'd most likely opt for the 40 round case.

Now, while the rifle you mention is a true jewel and a pleasure for any gun enthusiast to own, it's a little too rich for my pocket book and I can be completely ready to go for under the base price of the rifle.....including ammo and a MOLIIE carrying case. I'm just saying.

#174    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 10 January 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

Not if the boar or bear is seconds from goring or mauling, then it is absolutely necessary. One has to compensate for possible margins of error with the highest one shot kill probability. One wants to put that animal down and down QUICK!

But a Barrett M107, who would sling or carry this monster for a hike in the woods? That's .50 caliber?!

Yes, .50 BMG.

God Bless John Moses Browning. May he rest forever in peace. Crossing myself and I'm not even Catholic.

#175    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Yes, .50 BMG.

God Bless John Moses Browning. May he rest forever in peace. Crossing myself and I'm not even Catholic.

Um... I still dont get it, excuse me keninsc. So somebody can plug bigfoot from over a mile away from from their back deck? :w00t:

#176    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

It's ok Dude, I know you don't get it and it's ok. :tu:

#177    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 January 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

It's ok Dude, I know you don't get it and it's ok. :tu:

No, I get it. But the Barrett M107 is a terrible choice of a weapon for the woods. It is maximum range sniper rifle. Fit for open country not a practical choice for the woods.

But if this is to illustrate that magnum revolvers and hunting rifles are too much gun for bears, boars, and bigfoots.. you are mistaken. Especially, in the woods where an encounter will likely happen too close for comfort. And these animals could survive a fatal shot for many many yards running off on adrenalin and bloodrage, and if their coming in the shooter's direction with some serious recompense in mind, well that individual could be up the creek.

#178    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

You do not need all these high speed expensive weapons to kill bigfoot.

I killed bigfoot years ago with nothing but the power of my mind. All I had to do was accept the fact that they are not real, and boom they went extinct.

The mind can be a very powerful weapon.

#179    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

View Postevancj, on 11 January 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

You do not need all these high speed expensive weapons to kill bigfoot.

I killed bigfoot years ago with nothing but the power of my mind. All I had to do was accept the fact that they are not real, and boom they went extinct.

The mind can be a very powerful weapon.

Well, see? That just takes all the fun out of it.

Besides, I require justification for carrying too much equipment in the woods with me.

Edited by keninsc, 11 January 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#180    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 10 January 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

No, I get it. But the Barrett M107 is a terrible choice of a weapon for the woods. It is maximum range sniper rifle. Fit for open country not a practical choice for the woods.

But if this is to illustrate that magnum revolvers and hunting rifles are too much gun for bears, boars, and bigfoots.. you are mistaken. Especially, in the woods where an encounter will likely happen too close for comfort. And these animals could survive a fatal shot for many many yards running off on adrenalin and bloodrage, and if their coming in the shooter's direction with some serious recompense in mind, well that individual could be up the creek.

Right, but what I'm saying it you can take an Abrams tank in with you, it's impractical as heck, over powered, expensive and all that but you can go to that extreme if you'd like. For me, I'd only need my .45 and then for the actual kill of a Bigfoot, or for those cases when my .45 might not be enough I have my pump action shotgun. One is a rapid deployment weapon, my sidearm, and the second will take just a moment to get out. Now, if I should discover that with all this I'm in a situation this amount of equipment can't get me out of then I was a real dumba$$ for getting myself into this situation to begin with. At some point we all have to recognize that we have to take responsibility for what we do, good or bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users