Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

cryptozoology polls

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

1. 0 (9 votes [31.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

2. 1-5 (12 votes [41.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

3. 6-20 (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. 21-50 (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

5. 50 or more (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

6. All of them (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,296 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

does the question refer to actual NUMBERS of cryptids, or TYPES of cryptids?
i'm confused!!

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#17    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 June 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

I suppose that is the question... The number of Cryptids that are discovered will be a function of what is considered a cryptid. At the widest level some rumored creature, like a giant rat, or new kind of monitor lizard, could count as a cryptid, and as such I think there is quite a few that might still be found. Some count currently extinct animals as cryptids, and so perhaps there are couple of those (like the species of whales that were recently rediscovered) that might still be found. If we are only talking about Fantastic and Mystical creatures, then I'd have to vote zero till I see one actually turn up.

Depends on how you define Fantastic and Mystical. I'd put Bigfoot, Nessie and a whole host of other cryptids in that group. Cryptids like the Thylacine* however, not so much.

In short...I agree. :tu:

*If one were so inclined to define the Thylacine as a cryptid, the jury is still out on that one I think.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#18    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,054 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

Nah, Fantastical creatures are the ones removed from reality by their extraordinary nature or purpose, for instance, the unicorn, or the centaur.

Mystical (or more commonly, Mythological) creatures are those who serve to enhance the hero of a particular set of stories (or myths), usually resulting in giving that hero a larger-than-life status.  These creatures aren't really reported as having "habitats", like ordinary animals (or even Fantastical creatures); they tend to exist as a chapter in the story of their hero, and little else about them is to be found.

At least, from a Lit. major's perspective.  :blush:

Cryptids...cryptids aren't really considered mystical or fantastical because they don't have any particular purpose or nature.  Basically, we just think of them as really neat animals.

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

Well, if the description of the beast includes the word "virgin," then we may be assured it is mythical.

#20    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,296 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 17 June 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

Cryptids like the Thylacine*

*If one were so inclined to define the Thylacine as a cryptid,
i'd have to put the thylacine in the same group of cryptids that the dodo went into S2F.....
;-)

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#21    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,054 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 June 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Well, if the description of the beast includes the word "virgin," then we may be assured it is mythical.

Additionally, if the creature's most salient feature can be described as "long, hard, and coloured a curious pink", and its nature involved putting said salient feature onto (or into) the virgin's lap, we can be assured that, at that point, the writers of yore had given up any and all attempts at pretense.

#22    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 17 June 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

Nah, Fantastical creatures are the ones removed from reality by their extraordinary nature or purpose, for instance, the unicorn, or the centaur.

Mystical (or more commonly, Mythological) creatures are those who serve to enhance the hero of a particular set of stories (or myths), usually resulting in giving that hero a larger-than-life status.  

And if the cryptid is the 'hero' of the story? I think such has become the case with cryptids like Bigfoot and Nessie.

ETA: Humans and their technology being the Scylla and Charybdis to Bigfoot's Odysseus.

ETA2: I find it fascinating how fluid thoughts can become after a few beers. :lol: :tu:

Edited by Slave2Fate, 17 June 2013 - 05:23 AM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#23    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,887 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

I need to change my vote to 2.

Glowing flying lizard,

and,

The Giant Hyrax.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#24    soulcaliber

soulcaliber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

View Postevancj, on 16 June 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

I voted 0 because there is no real definition  of what exactly a cryptid is.
Actually their is a definition for Cryptid, "a plant or animal, whose existance has been suggested by not yet recognised by scientific consensus", through my experience in life, i know people just don't talk of  things just for having a talk, they talk of cryptids and years after some other groups of people claim to see in same geographical region, its just not hallucination and some cryptids like yeti are depicted in monasteries wall along with other images, where every images of gods figurine is a symbolic gesture meaning something,

i havn't seen a yeti drawings on any monasteries till now, so don't take my word for it, i think i saw it in on TV, may be movie.
so i choose to believe yes those entities exist's and are rarely seen.
Take an example of this creature:

The Screamin’ Demon of Mexico: Monkey Business
Attached File  macacomexico.jpg   61.99K   5 downloads

“Sometime around May 11, 2007, a wealthy Mexican rancher named Marao Lopez found this creature, less than one foot tall, in a steel trap. The property was in Metepec, … Mexico. … The creature was alive, shrieking and scared. … the ranchers decided to kill and preserve it the morning of the third day … They dunked it in water … for many hours, and it finally drowned. It’s ability to survive so long underwater has made many feel it was amphibious.
Within days, word about the strange creature had gotten to Jaime [Maussán]. … Jaime considered Marao Lopez an honorable man. Since Lopez was wealthy, and money was never mentioned as a variable in this situation, Jaime sees no motivation for a hoax. Jaime requested access to the body, now mummified, for tests at various universities. Around this period of time, Marao Lopez died mysteriously.”

Edited by soulcaliber, 17 June 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#25    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,887 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

View Postsoulcaliber, on 17 June 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

Actually their is a definition for Cryptid, "a plant or animal, whose existance has been suggested by not yet recognised by scientific consensus", through my experience in life, i know people just don't talk of  things just for having a talk, they talk of cryptids and years after some other groups of people claim to see in same geographical region, its just not hallucination and some cryptids like yeti are depicted in monasteries wall along with other images, where every images of gods figurine is a symbolic gesture meaning something, so i choose to believe yes those entities exist's and are rarely seen.
Take an example of this creature:

The Screamin’ Demon of Mexico: Monkey Business
Attachment macacomexico.jpg

“Sometime around May 11, 2007, a wealthy Mexican rancher named Marao Lopez found this creature, less than one foot tall, in a steel trap. The property was in Metepec, … Mexico. … The creature was alive, shrieking and scared. … the ranchers decided to kill and preserve it the morning of the third day … They dunked it in water … for many hours, and it finally drowned. It’s ability to survive so long underwater has made many feel it was amphibious.
Within days, word about the strange creature had gotten to Jaime [Maussán]. … Jaime considered Marao Lopez an honorable man. Since Lopez was wealthy, and money was never mentioned as a variable in this situation, Jaime sees no motivation for a hoax. Jaime requested access to the body, now mummified, for tests at various universities. Around this period of time, Marao Lopez died mysteriously.”

Both of your examples have pretty much been debunked....

The Mexican thing has been debunked 100%

As for the word " Cryptid " I have not seen a true definition myself. I have for " cryptozology ", but bot cryptid.

Anyway, search these forums for that Mexican hoax......

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#26    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,054 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 17 June 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

And if the cryptid is the 'hero' of the story? I think such has become the case with cryptids like Bigfoot and Nessie.

ETA: Humans and their technology being the Scylla and Charybdis to Bigfoot's Odysseus.

ETA2: I find it fascinating how fluid thoughts can become after a few beers. :lol: :tu:

I absolutely refuse to classify modern day cryptid drabble with the mythos of the ancient worlds.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Oh dear heavens, a crossover...

Posted Image

Edited by aquatus1, 17 June 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#27    soulcaliber

soulcaliber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostSakari, on 17 June 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

Both of your examples have pretty much been debunked....
The Mexican thing has been debunked 100%
As for the word " Cryptid " I have not seen a true definition myself. I have for " cryptozology ", but bot cryptid.
Anyway, search these forums for that Mexican hoax......
Thanks for clearifying that, i was about to delve in more deeper on that Mexican creature, i take back my comment on yeti being depicted in monasteries, as i had seen it one of the movies, maybe on one of the Discovery channel. I havn't seen it myself, so sorry for trying to bias my opinion on the existance of yeti or any other creatures.

#28    soulcaliber

soulcaliber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 17 June 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

I absolutely refuse to classify modern day cryptid drabble with the mythos of the ancient worlds.
Oh dear heavens, a crossover...

Posted Image

If the gorilla or the ape is removed, how convincing would it look like the lochness monster, but together they look more funny  lol :lol:

Edited by soulcaliber, 17 June 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#29    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

i voted "1-5", just for statistical reasons......millions of whacky folks claim to have seen the archetypical poster boys of cryptozoology, like bigfoot/ yeti/ nessie (and all their lesser-known rip-offs), and this all happens in regions that are more or less well explored/populated. one can tend to blame this to an overimaginative phantasy, misidentification or watching too much SyFy, but there are so many remote regions on this planet that are not properly explored yet (including the vastness of the oceans) that there is at least a small possibility some of the claims of encountering something odd are "based on true events"....

#30    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

I put 1-5 although I've always thought there are probably crypids out there but they might not be quite what people think they are.

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

Also tagged with cryptozoology, polls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users