Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Canada's NEW Office of Religious Freedom

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 3,171 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Umm, I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. Because you have no idea what a religion is based on that list.
I sort of do. I just wanted to mention the range besides religion that catholics have not prosecuted since a thousand years.
And yes, there might be a tiny little bit of sarcasm in my posts. Just a bit.

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,186 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

View Postacidhead, on 20 February 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

and monitoring persecution of religious minorities.

The first thing that popped into my head was, ".... and making sure that the persecution continues."

Shouldn't the name of the department be the Office of Promoting Religious Freedom? Just the Office of Religious Freedom could easily be to repress such freedom. Just as a Office of Youth Crime would not promote youth crime, it would repress such crime.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostStellar, on 20 February 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Waste of money? Yes. Waste of 'freedom'? Wtf are you talking about?

It's a waste of money to form another GOV department.  The money is taken through the use of force to establish and run each GOV department.  I don't agree with many GOV departments which suck off the fruits of my labor.  It's, IMO, an infringement on my freedom each time the GOV creates yet another department and needs to tax myself to pay for it.  It's an infringement on my freedom.because if I refuse to pay I could go to prison.

Get it?!

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#19    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

I have yet to hear back about my application yet as well. Is there some red tape problem with this new agency. I expected first come first served service.

#20    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,891 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

If they can get funding for that, I am sure a few of us can figure out a way to be employed and get a lot of funding from the government for it.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#21    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Work it glorybebe. Its there for you. Your awsome btw. :su

My application is number  656. Got in right before the cutoff.

#22    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,891 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 21 February 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

Work it glorybebe. Its there for you. Your awsome btw. :su

My application is number  656. Got in right before the cutoff.

LOL, ok, if I can get funding, you're hired!

#23    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 February 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

The first thing that popped into my head was, ".... and making sure that the persecution continues."

Shouldn't the name of the department be the Office of Promoting Religious Freedom? Just the Office of Religious Freedom could easily be to repress such freedom. Just as a Office of Youth Crime would not promote youth crime, it would repress such crime.

I agree.  Minority groups are always being targeted for persecution by the larger majority groups.  The bully picks on the smaller guys.  Not everybody in the majority is to blame but as long as there is a group to lay blame then another victim is created simply by being accepted as being part of the larger group.  

I believe promoting individualism is the best way to promote freedom.  It leaves out nobody therefore no new victims are created.

Edited by acidhead, 21 February 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#24    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Damn you !!   :td:

#25    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postacidhead, on 21 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

It's a waste of money to form another GOV department.  The money is taken through the use of force to establish and run each GOV department.  I don't agree with many GOV departments which suck off the fruits of my labor.  It's, IMO, an infringement on my freedom each time the GOV creates yet another department and needs to tax myself to pay for it.  It's an infringement on my freedom.because if I refuse to pay I could go to prison.

Get it?!

Yeah, well you don't know what an infringement of freedom really is then if you're going to take such convoluted steps to call this an "infringement of freedom"

You pay tax. They decide to use that tax money to create a department. No infringement of freedom there when they create a department.

But gee, I guess we all should move to North Korea, considering how much "freedom" has been taken away from us. :rolleyes:

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#26    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Waste of money? Yes. Waste of freedom? No. As Stellar said you don't get to pick which departments your taxes fund. This office isn't going to have a separate tax to fund it so you don't have the option of not paying that funding, thus you can't go to jail for not paying that funding. You would go to jail for not paying any taxes at all. No freedom lost.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#27    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,704 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

Of course all taxes are pooled together and then distributed accordingly..... DUH.  I never implied they weren't.  Do try to read carefully or ask for help when you have trougle understanding what liberty means to the individual.

Allow me to try a another example.  I am totally 100% against Canada's involvement in the so-called War on Terror.  I believe Canada's participation in pre-emptive war in foreign countries creates resentment towards Canadians anywhere on the globe.  My tax dollars pay for Canada's military to carry out operations which murder sovereign people in foreign lands and it has put blood on my hands....blood which I never drew from anybody.  This is a indirect infringement on my freedom.  My private property(my body) has been violated by my GOV for the collective action they committed in my name even though I never authorized it.

And yes, I do vote.  Libertarian every time I get the chance.

#28    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,891 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

View Postacidhead, on 22 February 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

Of course all taxes are pooled together and then distributed accordingly..... DUH.  I never implied they weren't.  Do try to read carefully or ask for help when you have trougle understanding what liberty means to the individual.

Allow me to try a another example.  I am totally 100% against Canada's involvement in the so-called War on Terror.  I believe Canada's participation in pre-emptive war in foreign countries creates resentment towards Canadians anywhere on the globe.  My tax dollars pay for Canada's military to carry out operations which murder sovereign people in foreign lands and it has put blood on my hands....blood which I never drew from anybody.  This is a indirect infringement on my freedom.  My private property(my body) has been violated by my GOV for the collective action they committed in my name even though I never authorized it.

And yes, I do vote.  Libertarian every time I get the chance.
Like the whole post except the bolded part, LOL.

#29    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,704 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 22 February 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

Like the whole post except the bolded part, LOL.

You'd be surprised.  Most don't even realize how much Libertarian views they have once issues are discussed at length and logic smacks them.

#30    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

My application appears to still be in red tape...or actually the last email said black tape ? Does that mean there broke too ? I was hoping for some relocation recompense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users