Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Camel spider bite puts soldier in hospital

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

Considering Marks_Thoughts,posted exactly what I said my friend told me,and he witnessed it himself,I dare say it's proof you just disblieve everything because you haven't had experience yourself,so everyone else is lying.
My friend has been to Egypt numerous times,and she and I both ,have better things to do than to make things up about a spider .

Miss me?

#17    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

The Sum of All Bears

• 5,545 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

From Camelspider.org, given by HerNibs.

They are not dangerous, but because of their appearance, and the many myths circulating about them, primarily by soldiers deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, Camel spider have a reputation as brutal and merciless desert animals.

Camel spiders, like Solifugids, are nocturnal animals. Soldier claims that Camel Spiders chase people in the Iraqi desert but it is, of course, also according to scientists, the shadow that the animals are seeking.

Camel spiders are neither dangerous nor venomous, and humans have nothing to fear from Camel spiders. The hoax about how dangerous Camel spider bites are is purely an anecdote. Although a bite is probably painful, only the bacteria in its mouthpart will be capable of hurting you.

Camel spiders can move at velocities of almost 10 miles per hour. They oxygen uptake capacity is high which explains why they can move that fast. A side-effect of their high metabolic activity is a short life-span.

When stretched out, Camel spiders can reach a length of five inches although the average size is somewhere between -3 inches. Their abdomens have 11 segments and there is no intermediary segment separating head from abdomen. They have two clearly visible eyes and five so called "racket organs". These organs are probably rudimentary eyes, as scorpions have five very small eyes.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#18    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

Camel spiders are not really even actual spiders. They are more scorpion than spider and are not dangerous. They might make you hurt yourself getting out of their way, but they are not dangerous to humans. As has been stated there are a million myths about these things, but none are true. They don't chase people, they don't  kill people with their bite, they don't grow to the sizes reported. I hate spiders, but this is just a load of BS. As unsanitary as that area is, any open wound can get infected if left untreated. This could lead to blood poisoning, which obviously is life threatening, but not because of some spider venom.

Mike

#19    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Spiders Creep Me Out Period. I've Red Somewhere That During Sleep People Swallow A Certain Number Of Spiders During Their Lifetime .. I Don't Know Whether This Is True Or Not ..

Moral Of The Story: Sleep With Your Mouth Shut!!

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#20    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Camel spider say what?! Camel spider say heck yeaaah!

I am an Emin of truth!

#21    Contract Killer Romeo

Contract Killer Romeo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

• "I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

had one living under our weapons conex box. I don't know if it was the same one, but one of them liked to come inside our hooch (door wouldnt close completely). I always just tightened down my sleeping bag as much as it could.

#22    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 22 March 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

From Camelspider.org, given by HerNibs.

Thank you for bringing some scientific understanding to the issue. I wouldn't expect news organizations to have access to anything like say, the internet for actual facts.

I once saw a 300 pound painter going berserk trying to kill a 6" long skink with a shovel. Fortunately for the skink, he was too terrified to have good aim. When I asked him why he was behaving like a madman he assured me that this was a dangerously  poisonous (I assume he meant venomous) animal and would bite you. I assured him I had been bitten by dozens of them as a kid because they don't like being caught and that you usually have to put them under a sink full of water to make them let go, unless you want their tiny teeth to cut you by pulling them loose. But aside from a pinch no big deal. He did not seem convinced despite the fact I was obviously not dead. I was just glad HE did not kill me with the flailing shovel!

Also have had people tell me snakes "charm" birds, craneflies are giant bloodthirsty mosquitos, bats are blind and will try to get tangled in your hair, whip scorpions and harvetmen are dangerous, the list could go on and on. Of course you must kill every snake, insect and arachnid because they are all "poisonous".

Makes one wonder about the state of our scientific "education" in America.

#23    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,995 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostSundew, on 01 April 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Thank you for bringing some scientific understanding to the issue. I wouldn't expect news organizations to have access to anything like say, the internet for actual facts.

I once saw a 300 pound painter going berserk trying to kill a 6" long skink with a shovel. Fortunately for the skink, he was too terrified to have good aim. When I asked him why he was behaving like a madman he assured me that this was a dangerously  poisonous (I assume he meant venomous) animal and would bite you. I assured him I had been bitten by dozens of them as a kid because they don't like being caught and that you usually have to put them under a sink full of water to make them let go, unless you want their tiny teeth to cut you by pulling them loose. But aside from a pinch no big deal. He did not seem convinced despite the fact I was obviously not dead. I was just glad HE did not kill me with the flailing shovel!

Also have had people tell me snakes "charm" birds, craneflies are giant bloodthirsty mosquitos, bats are blind and will try to get tangled in your hair, whip scorpions and harvetmen are dangerous, the list could go on and on. Of course you must kill every snake, insect and arachnid because they are all "poisonous".

Makes one wonder about the state of our scientific "education" in America.

:tu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#24    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Just be thankful they're not common inside houses  :no:

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users