Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

2012 Begining of new age

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    stereologist

stereologist

Poltergeist

• 2,665 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

You're right tinieblas, calendars are important devices for measuring time and making culturally important predictions like when to plant, when to harvest, and when to celebrate. There is no evidence that any predictions are associated with the Mayan calendar.

If people wanted to make weird claims with the Gregorian calendar they should have made claims of the end of time associated with the missing leap day in 2000.

the modern Mayans i work with here say different; in their culture, as it remains today (do some  more  research and find out about the modern Maya in Guatemala and Honduras for example

I enjoyed reading this quote since I've spent a bit of time in Guatemala. An important observation is that the locals do not use the Mayan calendar, don't speak or write Mayan. If they did it would  be much easier to decipher Mayan texts when they are found.

#17    I_Am_Avatar_Korra

I_Am_Avatar_Korra

❝ ♔ Beauty

• 8,149 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:31 AM

View Posttinieblas, on 26 October 2009 - 12:21 AM, said:

*sigh*  I hate to lecture on the obvious but it has always been my understanding that calendars mark the passage of a period of time AND mark the locations of key events of significance; or am I just wierd for thinking that?  To ask a question, who does NOT mark birthdays, important dates and things to remember on THEIR calendar? Why could the Maya have not done the same eh?

I think the point of representing time in any concrete form is to be able to mark and indicate the positions of events within that passage of time?

Perhaps a semantic point but a valid one to my mind

Like several people here though, I do hope that some things will change because our society today is a not really worth preserving in it's current state; humanity has forgotten what it means to be human after having pretty much wiped out any peoples who still knew how to do it....pathetic

I agree with you.

It better be a "good" age. Sick of the world how it is.

Av: contemporiste @ petitechoses.

#18    tinieblas

tinieblas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

• just because a million people believe in a stupid thing, doesn't stop it being a stupid thing

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:54 AM

View Poststereologist, on 26 October 2009 - 01:00 AM, said:

You're right tinieblas, calendars are important devices for measuring time and making culturally important predictions like when to plant, when to harvest, and when to celebrate. There is no evidence that any predictions are associated with the Mayan calendar.

If people wanted to make weird claims with the Gregorian calendar they should have made claims of the end of time associated with the missing leap day in 2000.

I enjoyed reading this quote since I've spent a bit of time in Guatemala. An important observation is that the locals do not use the Mayan calendar, don't speak or write Mayan. If they did it would  be much easier to decipher Mayan texts when they are found.

you do know that there are different kinds of Guatemalans though yes? The paler-skinned "europeos" (Europeans) and the smaller, darker-skinned "indios" yes?  The Indios are the ones who speak and preserve the old languages, where as the more European-looking 'Guates' speak Spanish only.  The Indios are the ones you want to speak to but they tend to keep themselves to themselves and not be high up in society.  I assure you that the Indios do indeed speak Maya dialects or dialects at least inspired by or related to the Mayan tongues.

www.caske2000.org/countries/guatemala/guatemalatravel.htm

for more information :)

Open Minded Seeker of the Possible
"there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio" - Hamlet
"science is a tool with which to measure, not a rule[r] with which to strike the supposedly ignorant" - source unknown
"the fact that a million people beleive in a stupid thing does not stop it from being a stupid thing" - Anon

#19    stereologist

stereologist

Poltergeist

• 2,665 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:12 AM

you do know that there are different kinds of Guatemalans though yes? The paler-skinned "europeos" (Europeans) and the smaller, darker-skinned "indios" yes? The Indios are the ones who speak and preserve the old languages, where as the more European-looking 'Guates' speak Spanish only. The Indios are the ones you want to speak to but they tend to keep themselves to themselves and not be high up in society. I assure you that the Indios do indeed speak Maya dialects or dialects at least inspired by or related to the Mayan tongues.

My daughter is an Indio as you call it. And although the people may speak Mayan derived languages they do not speak the Mayan of the calendar makers. And they certainly do not read or write the language of the calendar makers.

Glad you brought the point to light. There are many people who read these forums who are unaware of the peoples of Guatemala. My wife and I used to joke that you can tell the Spanish speakers by their Madonna tee shirts.

It's a beautiful place with very nice people. I hope you are enjoying being there.

#20    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

View Posttinieblas, on 26 October 2009 - 12:33 AM, said:

A: no the mayans did not they put no more significance to the end of this calender (thats what it is like the one u got on your wall only bigger) than any other, In other words they may have been planning a celebration but thats about it. It just a calendar like all the other calendars they used. but i guess this is just what respected historians archaeologist and modern mayans think so I guess it doesnt count

the modern Mayans i work with here say different; in their culture, as it remains today (do some more research and find out about the modern Maya in Guatemala and Honduras for example

well what makes that set of mayans correct over another  also this http://www.telegraph...er-insists.html 1 Guatemalan chief quote as saying its not going to end

B: Merlin? like the wizard? like the wizard who first appears in Geoffrey of Monmouth fictional arthurian tales while Arther may have been based on celtic and welsh legend the exact roots are lost

hahaha do some research silly! There was more than one Myrddyn ; we only remember the Geoff and Mallory King Arthur version but there were a number of people named Merlin or Myrddyn hence the mythology about him being immortal

you said merlin, merlin is a fictional construct based on celtic and welsh mythology Myrddyn may have existed (there are certainly references to Myrddyn in folklore) but as far as I know (and as far as I can find on any non 2012 based site) no of the Myrddyn ever made any form of 2012 based prophecy its like mother shipton no 2012 prophecy but people like to throw that in there just to make it sound more legitimate

lets see Myrddin Ambrosius (aka Aurelius Ambrosius) prophesied the defeat of the saxons........ nope no 2012 there, also Aurelius Ambrosius never existed he's a highly fictionalized version of Ambrosius Aurelianus who merely won battles not prophesied about them

Myrddin Wylt prophesied many things including his own death but again no 2012, problem here being he's first mentioned in 13th century nearly 700 years after he supposedly died so could easily be a fictional construct, also there is a near identical story called where he's called Lailoken

Myrddin Emrys is another name for Myrddin Ambrosius (aka Aurelius Ambrosius) who i've discussed above

C: Mother shipton is never mention 2012 specifically in any prediction and is likely a fictional construct

be that as it may, she got several things right before and her books are terribly interesting

well why include her then the only prophecy she apparently made about then end of the world was the 1881 one and even that was a fake (see Harrison, W. H.: Mother Shipton Investigated, 1881)  

D: Nostradamus ahhh at least u can rely on him, so what the 1982 book contains 3 completely different styles of handwriting or that it is a copy of an original so damaged most of it could not be deciphered it 1992-2012 prediction fits in nicely and your sort of right it only indicated the world will end it doesn't specifically say it will

[that's why I sought out the older copies which you can find in the old bookstores popular in England, the ones with the Latin quatrain followed by English translations [/b]
fancy giving this book a name? The only one I know of that says anything even vaguely 2012 related in the lost manuscript but I would happily be proved wrong

to follow on also, here's some info on Myrddyn for you; there are at least 3 merlin characters in Celtic folklore; two of which Geoffory of Monmout combined;  Myrddin Wylt, Myddyn Emrys & Myddyn Ambrosius; all of whom existed in descrete periods of time.

The others are up to you to research ;)

I'm still looking up other names for prophets named Myddyn

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#21    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

View PostSpend, on 26 October 2009 - 11:13 AM, said:

Myrddin Wylt prophesied many things including his own death but again no 2012, problem here being he's first mentioned in 13th century nearly 700 years after he supposedly died so could easily be a fictional construct, also there is a near identical story called where he's called Lailoken

woops bit of a typo there I meant he was first mentioned in the 10th century and 500 years not the 13th century

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#22    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,012 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

View Postdigitalartist, on 20 October 2009 - 07:09 PM, said:

It's the end of an age marked by the end of a calendar, in much the same way the end of the year is marked by December 31st.  Nothing more or less.  No ending of the world and no uniting with relatives from another planet, just the end of one day and the beginning of another.

Very true. It is more ignorant to think that the Mayan calander running out is the end times LOL  Damn when my calander expires I throw it out and get another one LOL Simple as that. Same will happen 12/22/12 and the following week bang Mayan calander expires with no Myans around to make another.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#23    tinieblas

tinieblas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

• just because a million people believe in a stupid thing, doesn't stop it being a stupid thing

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:19 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 26 October 2009 - 03:06 PM, said:

Very true. It is more ignorant to think that the Mayan calander running out is the end times LOL  Damn when my calander expires I throw it out and get another one LOL Simple as that. Same will happen 12/22/12 and the following week bang Mayan calander expires with no Myans around to make another.

or possibly a new age will begin and the new calendar-makers will come along; that the time of the Mayan influence will be over and the age of prophets complete....time for a new philosophy and a new way of living?

It's possible that something could happen.  Just that most people are afraid to say anything in case nothing does and they end up looking stupid.  The difference between the ones who dare not speak and those who do is that the latter group don't actually care what other people think of them (at least I don't) :)

"there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio" - Hamlet
"science is a tool with which to measure, not a rule[r] with which to strike the supposedly ignorant" - source unknown
"the fact that a million people beleive in a stupid thing does not stop it from being a stupid thing" - Anon

#24    stereologist

stereologist

Poltergeist

• 2,665 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:49 AM

So now this thread has disintegrated into speculations about nothing. I recommend that this thread be locked unless something substantial is posted.

#25    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Location:~in your head,lol.....seriously though............."the driest continate on earth".......which is also comparable to a land mass on another planet!!!...........

• BLACK ADDER!!!.."let's get them when and where they are most vulnerable"...*WHACK*....."just my luck to get the one that was hard".... :D

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

View Postjel0sh, on 20 October 2009 - 05:59 PM, said:

I haven't really heard too much about this from anywhere else but I've been thinking. I personally think its a lot more likely that if anything happens in 2012 it will probably not be the end of the world but perhaps the end of our current age & beginning of a new age. Just looking at how thinks have been developing the past few years leading up to 2012 it seems like something big might be coming, like maybe we are being prepared for something. With India & China & other countries working hard to get their men to the moon & the U.S. wanting to go back to the moon now. & it seems like our new discoveries of other planets & facts about the moon & mars might be ramping up. & you have governments in the UK finally releasing their UFO files. I personally think that things might be heading toward a major discovery or major reveal that we aren't alone in this universe & that alien life has & does visit us & this will lead us to come together in peace as a planet & venture out into space with the help of some alien technology...if they feel we are ready to get it. You know kinda like in star trek lol. What do you all think? I mean besides thinking I'm crazy.lol

just my opinion here....but the world has enough people committing suicide and joining cults that end up freaked out over the supposed end of the world and aliens being *out there*......the world is no where near....nor do i think will ever be...ready to be faced with the knowledge there are other life forms out there. :alien:

Believes all people have to admit to some level of neurosis!!!
will never let my mother cut my hair again!!!!
The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!
it is hard to sore high with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys!!!!

#26    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,870 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

View Poststereologist, on 27 October 2009 - 04:49 AM, said:

So now this thread has disintegrated into speculations about nothing. I recommend that this thread be locked unless something substantial is posted.

Uh no. The thread is doing quite fine.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#27    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,677 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Just a thought here: Perhaps there is nothing "substantial" about all this 2012 stuff?

Y2K anyone?  :D

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#28    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

View Postmaximaldecimal, on 21 October 2009 - 02:30 AM, said:

Not to sound too contradictory but I have a great hope that science and religion will stop trying to trounce each other and accept that they cover different aspects of what is.
Science is not trying to trounce religion in the slightest, it is indifferent to religion. The only issue is that some religious people don't like the fact that science occasionally contradicts religious ideals.

Science should not take religion into account when researching doing that leads to what was known as the dark ages. Science stagnates and can go backwards.

Edited by Mattshark, 27 October 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#29    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

View PostLilly, on 27 October 2009 - 10:23 AM, said:

Just a thought here: Perhaps there is nothing "substantial" about all this 2012 stuff?

Y2K anyone?  :D

That was a pretty "substantial" post, I happen to agree with. I find 2012 to be quite ephemeral even.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#30    tinieblas

tinieblas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

View PostMattshark, on 27 October 2009 - 01:58 PM, said:

Science is not trying to trounce religion in the slightest, it is indifferent to religion. The only issue is that some religious people don't like the fact that science occasionally contradicts religious ideals.

Science should not take religion into account when researching doing that leads to what was known as the dark ages. Science stagnates and can go backwards.

Matty-boy!  You know as well as I do that it is the spiritual which is indifferent to science fella :)  You don't get a load of spiritual folks going onto science blogs and trying to assert how impotent and nebulous some scientific theory is do you?  So who is trying to convince who mate?  I don't think "we" are trying to convince "you".....take a look at who is simply hitting ideas out there on this thread and who is trying to convince people.  Why is that?  Try looking at some of these ideas on here from the viewpoint of quantum physics maybe.....?

Anyway folks, keep on hitting those ideas out there and see if we can come up with anything hey?  Science has forgotten the old Symposia of the Great Minds of Ancient Greece....people would sit around, throw ideas out there and discuss them until they came up with something...today we have internet forums instead of Symposia :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users