Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Masons & Geometry - their secrets unveiled ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 24 January 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

I say go and judge for yourself regardless of what people here or elsewhere tell you.

The origins of masons is very much like an original union, just as AsteroidX said. They were a guild (union) for masons/builders just as there were guilds for every other group of labourers. Each guild of masons kept things secret so that other masons couldn't steal their ideas. Ever hear of trade secrets? Ever sign a non-disclosure agreement for an employer? They want to make sure that you don't go running off and telling people how your employer does certain things within the framework of their business. The masons and every other guild did way back then. They were protecting their trade secrets.

And can someone please tell me how to teach my bosses to be more nefarious? After all, that's what an architect is, right? A chief builder or carpenter or mason.

True, in part, but the Masons had some strange rituals for a trade union! and these rituals seem to have carried forward to the present day when the organisation is apparently not acting as a union for builders? Secret societies must surely be treated with suspicion by their very nature of being secret not open?

#17    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,948 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

How do you know there were any rituals when they served as a real guild????

No, never mind. You're going to believe whatever you want about them no matter how much logic I, or anyone, brings into this conversation.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#18    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 24 January 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

How do you know there were any rituals when they served as a real guild????

No, never mind. You're going to believe whatever you want about them no matter how much logic I, or anyone, brings into this conversation.

Were did the rituals come from then?
I am not anti-mason just wary of secret societies in general and was brought up with...'Your father is at his lodge... but we don't talk about that..' Why all the secrecy if he was just having a beer and bite with some mates ?

#19    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

View Postpacosarae, on 25 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yes there are very powerfull people on this planet but i think they don't want a secret clubPosted ImagePosted Image

Really?

#20    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostVerloc, on 24 January 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

So now I put the question to you guys/gals, should I be open minded and attend the function to see for myself, or should I distance myself from it?
As it stands now, I have decided to go to the function and keep an open mind, I'm a sceptic at heart and can't just accept their opinions at face value, but I would like to hear your inputs in the matter.

If you're interested then you should go check it out. The claims of Satanic cults and what not are nothing other than rumours and conspiracies. "I'm not allowed to just walk in and be told everything so they must be evil!" We actually have a few members who are Masons or are family members of Masons and they appear no different from any other UM member.

So go and if it sounds like something you might be interested in then check it out. If not then just walk away.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#21    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostCorp, on 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

If you're interested then you should go check it out. The claims of Satanic cults and what not are nothing other than rumours and conspiracies. "I'm not allowed to just walk in and be told everything so they must be evil!" We actually have a few members who are Masons or are family members of Masons and they appear no different from any other UM member.

So go and if it sounds like something you might be interested in then check it out. If not then just walk away.

Good advice maybe

#22    AlnilamPhiSiriusly

AlnilamPhiSiriusly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostCorp, on 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

#23    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View Postlaver, on 16 January 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

The mathematical science of Geometry is a founding part of Masonry and the letter  G which is so important to the craft in many lodges is said to stand for God and / or Geometry and this link comes together in the idea of a supreme deity which is often referred to by Masons as the Great Architect of the Universe or Great Artificer of the Universe.
It is understandable that the science of Geometry should originally have been of major importance to working masons in the past and was then carried forward into the craft of Masonry today with its symbols including  the Compass and the Square, important tools to working masons.

It has been proposed that the very ancient origins of Freemasonry lie in the sages of Druidic and Ancient Egyptian religions but why if this is the case should Geometry have been such an important part of the craft and linked to the supreme deity as creator?

We now know that many ancient locations on our planet have geometric links whether by coincidence or design. Is this because the ancients knew that these locations were sacred and had been set out by their deities - the work of the Great Architect / Artificer of masonic tradition?
If so why was this design created in very ancient times?
Was it done in order that at some time it would be found?
When would that be?
1.618  PHI  ,  the beautiful code is  found in all of nature.

#24    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,392 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postlaver, on 16 January 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Geometry is a key part of Masonry, whether any Mason today knows the reason why is another matter. King Solomons Temple may be a myth or a metaphor for something else as there is no archaeological evidence that has yet come to light that it ever existed.

Geometry is a key part of everything my friend.  No big surprise that a society founded by builders, architects, and engineers would elevate it in their beliefs.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#25    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postlaver, on 16 January 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

1. The mathematical science of Geometry is a founding part of Masonry and the letter  G which is so important to the craft in many lodges is said to stand for God and / or Geometry and this link comes together in the idea of a supreme deity which is often referred to by Masons as the Great Architect of the Universe or Great Artificer of the Universe.

It is understandable that the science of Geometry should originally have been of major importance to working masons in the past and was then carried forward into the craft of Masonry today with its symbols including  the Compass and the Square, important tools to working masons.

It has been proposed that the very ancient origins of Freemasonry lie in the sages of Druidic and Ancient Egyptian religions but why if this is the case should Geometry have been such an important part of the craft and linked to the supreme deity as creator?

We now know that many ancient locations on our planet have geometric links whether by coincidence or design. Is this because the ancients knew that these locations were sacred and had been set out by their deities - the work of the Great Architect / Artificer of masonic tradition?
If so why was this design created in very ancient times?
Was it done in order that at some time it would be found?
When would that be?

You dont need to be a freemason to learn about sacred geometry, platonic solids and choas theory. Its all out there!

#26    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

erm.. just watch this cartoon.. it should explain everything.

1959 - Donald Duck - Donald in Mathmagic Land - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD4gb0p5RM - View by Ixquick Proxy - Highlight
19 Jun 2011 ... Donald wanders into a magical land where the beauty of the laws of mathematics unfold before him.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#27    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,251 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

"At the secret roots of Masonry there is Geometry why should this be?"

A stone worker that doesn't understand geometry isn't a good stone worker. The same can be said of carpenters.

Geometry is not, and never was a secret.

#28    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 26 April 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

A stone worker that doesn't understand geometry isn't a good stone worker. The same can be said of carpenters.

But aspects of Geometry clearly were... Geometry comes from measurement of the Earth and this was known about from ancient times which was considered a threat to established religions but was obviously an important part of early spiritual beliefs with how our planet related to the cosmos

#29    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

watch that donald duck cartoon and this conversation will go in a whole new direction. :)

well, this response clearly shows the guy is on the right track.. let's think about this for a moment... you've mentioned stone-masonry and carpentry...
what do they both have in common?
building materials.
big chunky clunky matter.

now.. what if we were to enquire about this geometric understanding in different fields?
smaller fields.
maybe something like genetics.

how about we go even smaller, into the realms of thought perhaps?
(and maybe these stories of mandalas and meditating monks suddenly make a little more sense..?)

and we are not even touching the surface yet
watch the cartoon and we'll probably have much more to say to eachother? :)

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#30    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostVerloc, on 24 January 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, if not I apologize.

Yesterday I was invited to attend a function for new recruits at the local Masonic Lodge.So I did some research,talked to a few people at work about it, and suffice it to say I received mixed emotions about the subject.

Most of them immediately told me not to get involved with Freemasonry, as it's a satanic cult and once you go in you may never leave the order.Bear in mind that most people here are Christians and do not really know waht the masons are about.

It was an ignorant response from them in my opinion, as their knowledge about the order stretch only as far as they have read the conspiracy theories and been told in their churces that it was the devils work.

So now I put the question to you guys/gals, should I be open minded and attend the function to see for myself, or should I distance myself from it?
As it stands now, I have decided to go to the function and keep an open mind, I'm a sceptic at heart and can't just accept their opinions at face value, but I would like to hear your inputs in the matter.
I agree about the ignorant response from the Christians you know. Many of the founding fathers were masons, including Washington, and many masonic symbols are on the dollar bill. There was a lot of anti-masonic fears in those times, too, and even an anti-masonic political party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users