Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Marines Testing Google's robot-dog

Anomalocaris

A soldier's best friend? Marines put Google's robo-dog 'Spot' through its paces, tackling tough terrain and scouting buildings

Dogs have kept soldiers company in hellish warzones since ancient times.

Now the Marine Corps is testing Google's latest robo-dog named Spot.

The four-legged machine developed by Boston Dynamics was first unveiled in February and can run, climb stairs, jog next to its owner and even cope with being kicked.

arrow3.gifRead more

• Like 1

Marines deploy Headless Terror Robo-Mutt 3000xj7, in other news America's enemies now suing the Marines for using a horrific appearing headless dogbot that induces men to empty their bowels into their skivvies.

And now to Julia for the weekend's weather outlook.

Ha ha ha ha thanks Tom......

• Like 2

can run, climb stairs, jog next to its owner and even cope with being kicked.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3244438/A-soldier-s-best-friend-Marines-Google-s-robo-dog-Spot-paces-tackling-tough-terrain-scouting-buildings.html#ixzz3mUiPrwIm

KICKED? is this what they do to their dogs?

Good for this piece of metal, would rather they kick this instead of a real dog.

• Like 1

If they get one that can sniff out bombs, maybe they can replace using dogs on combat. A human has a choice to go into army, a dog doesn't. I am sure all the police forces will want to have one, too.

• Like 1

I'd put an ipod on mine with "Bow Wow!" on continuous loop. I can't wait to see an Atlas robot carrying an M-16. THAT will make an enemy drop a load ion their pants.

I've seen something very similar trialled years ago, i think it was by a company called Boston Dynamics! I sure hope they managed to find an alternative power source, as the 2stroke engined version i saw was like a god damn chainsaw (hardly stealthy)

*just read the link and realised it is Boston Dynamics! The heading made it sound like it was google*

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin

can run, climb stairs, jog next to its owner and even cope with being kicked.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3mUiPrwIm

KICKED? is this what they do to their dogs?

Good for this piece of metal, would rather they kick this instead of a real dog.

Please tell me you aren't being serious.

First of all they kicked it to show how good it is at balancing and how quick it recovers from an unexpected obstacle.

Second of all, real dogs don't have a big metal exoskeleton, so of course kicking them would just be really heartless and cruel.

This technology is over 10 years old, why is it just being brought to light now?

Much like the Robotic Hound in Fahrenheit 451, then. Dystopian fiction always comes true in the end.

I've seen something very similar trialled years ago, i think it was by a company called Boston Dynamics! I sure hope they managed to find an alternative power source, as the 2stroke engined version i saw was like a god damn chainsaw (hardly stealthy)

*just read the link and realised it is Boston Dynamics! The heading made it sound like it was google*

The article stated Google owns Boston Dynamics.

I also hope they do something so the operating system can't be hacked. All we 'd need was for Spot to turn on us during a situation.

The article stated Google owns Boston Dynamics.

I also hope they do something so the operating system can't be hacked. All we 'd need was for Spot to turn on us during a situation.

Im running dialup here, i often dont download the full articles due to the time involved

Please tell me you aren't being serious.

First of all they kicked it to show how good it is at balancing and how quick it recovers from an unexpected obstacle.

Second of all, real dogs don't have a big metal exoskeleton, so of course kicking them would just be really heartless and cruel.

Reread the line again, the way it has been written by the reporter sounds as if it is part of the norm with having a dog....

"can run, climb stairs, jog next to its owner and even cope with being kicked.".......of course a robot can cope with being kicked, its a robot, so why mention "even cope"?

Edited by freetoroam

Reread the line again, the way it has been written by the reporter sounds as if it is part of the norm with having a dog....

"can run, climb stairs, jog next to its owner and even cope with being kicked.".......of course a robot can cope with being kicked, its a robot, so why mention "even cope"?

We need to treat them nicely. We don't want the revolt of......

Dynomutt - Dog Wonder! heh, heh, heyyyyyyy!!!!!!

• Like 1

We need to treat them nicely. We don't want the revolt of......

Dynomutt - Dog Wonder! heh, heh, heyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Bring on the revolt, we are ready!

Dynomutt_blue_falcon.jpg

This technology is over 10 years old, why is it just being brought to light now?

The robot dog is, pun intended, off the leash now. Field trials as it were.

• Like 1

d0g@gmail.com ?

Btw they have test ground drones with guns, just not dogs....

635581478002779636-MAR-Robot-Control-Challenge.jpg

Whats next ? Stealty cats with titanium claws and a really bad attitude... :alien:

• Like 1

d0g@gmail.com ?

Btw they have test ground drones with guns, just not dogs....

635581478002779636-MAR-Robot-Control-Challenge.jpg

Whats next ? Stealty cats with titanium claws and a really bad attitude... :alien:

I really like that one!

• Like 1

Me too, it's a good thing knowing that thousands of Americans are eating Ramen noodles to make sure we have hundreds of them.