Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare skeleton of unknown soldier found

Still Waters

The almost complete remains of a probable British soldier have been discovered at Waterloo 200 years after the famous defeat of Napoleon in what is being hailed as one of the best ever war finds.

The bones of the young trooper, who is likely to be from one of the Duke of Wellington’s regiments, were found buried 15in below thick mud in the Belgian battlefield.

The soldier, who was discovered lying on his back with the musket ball that felled him still between his ribs, is believed to have died on June 18, 1815 and was buried on land held by the British.

http://www.dailymail...elled-ribs.html

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Ealdwita

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Napoleonic and Peninsular Wars have been a particular interest of mine for years, so I was intrigued to read the above.

By my guess, if his skeleton was found close to Mont Saint Jean, if he was British, (in that position he could equally have been Dutch), if he was an infantryman then he may have belonged to the 30th.Regiment of Foot (Cambridgeshire). If that was a rifle (more likely a musket) butt, I'm surprised he was allowed to carve great chunks out of it! Lots of 'ifs' isn't there?