Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Finding Life Beyond Earth is Within Reach

Waspie_Dwarf

Finding Life Beyond Earth is Within Reach

Many scientists believe we are not alone in the universe. It's probable, they say, that life could have arisen on at least some of the billions of planets thought to exist in our galaxy alone -- just as it did here on planet Earth. This basic question about our place in the Universe is one that may be answered by scientific investigations. What are the next steps to finding life elsewhere?

Experts from NASA and its partner institutions addressed this question today, July 14, at a public talk held at NASA Headquarters in Washington. They outlined NASA's roadmap to the search for life in the universe, an ongoing journey that involves a number of current and future telescopes.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

Space Experts Discuss the Search for Life in the Universe at NASA

NASA space-based observatories are making unprecedented new discoveries and revealing worlds never before seen. During a televised panel discussion of leading science and engineering experts at NASA Headquarters on Monday, July 14, a scientific and technological roadmap to lead to the discovery of potentially habitable worlds among the stars was addressed. The agency's next step, the James Webb Space Telescope (Webb telescope), was featured as a new tool that will continue to help scientists rewrite scientific textbooks long after its scheduled launch in 2018.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

• Like 1

Drip drip -- sigh

If you want a world in which aliens are everywhere may I suggest Star Trek.

If you want to live in the real world then I'm afraid there are inconvenient things like evidence involved.

• Like 2

I look forward to our technological advances in my coming lifetime, the amount of amazing discoveries that will be made will be vast and fruitful.

The video is very good and explains a lot of the new technology they are working on deploying.

Oh come on! SETI has been telling they'll find life within 20 years since it's beginning. Just like that ubiquitous story that people will be on Mars in 20 years...

I hope that people remember the book, "How to Serve Man".

Seriously, this is all great and I don't believe we are alone, but I wonder if we really want to go there.

What would the human race do after we discoverd life on another planet. Should they be scared of us?

They are gonna need Jodie Foster to find it.

• Like 2

2 things;

1. am I guaranteed they will find life

and

2. if they do not, will NASA buy for me 1 (one) living terrestrial pony, color to be decided at a later time

Thats wat they said two decades ago? And by then we will be over run by the ones that already live here!

They have all ready found it! I remember something a few years ago about 'Red Rain' (any one else remember?). Basically it rained red rain over some city or town somewhere, the rain was analysed and it was discovered the redness was due to an unknown bacteria which originated from a meteorite, there for 'Alien Life'!

They have all ready found it! I remember something a few years ago about 'Red Rain' (any one else remember?). Basically it rained red rain over some city or town somewhere, the rain was analysed and it was discovered the redness was due to an unknown bacteria which originated from a meteorite, there for 'Alien Life'!

Red Rain: good song by Peter Gabriel. Not, as far as I know anything of alien origin. Just because something is unknown does not make it extra-terrestrial, the discovery of unclassified bacteria probable happens on a regular basis. I would suspect that any bacteria collected from this event would have similar DNA to known organisms and could be at least placed in a genus, anything radically different from known life would have made world headlines.

They are gonna need Jodie Foster to find it.

Better her than John Hurt!

They might not have found what their looking for but they have learned vast amounts of information about our surroundings and that is in itself a leap for man kind. :)

I have absolutely no doubt that indisputable proof of extra terrestrial life exists and is being kept secret by NASA, the Vatican, and other secretive government sects. There are a few reasons why it hasn't been disclosed by NASA. Firstly, because of money. Think of all the government grants, and all of the people who have spent their entire careers and lives in the pursuit of this existential quest. Now consider the dollars that are being allocated to continue that pursuit. The one thing that could possibly put an end to the massive amount of money being granted to universities and Nasa would be a successful mission accomplished. An excommunicated catholic priest, Bruno, was burned at the stake as a heritic by the Vatican for his beliefs in a life-filled universe beyond Earth just a few centuries ago. Now, within the last year, the Vatican announces it is accepting and anticipating proof any day of Bruno's theory of a universe filled with multitudes of life beyond Earth and is ready to accept all God's creatures, regardless of their universal origin, thus completely reversing a penultimate doctorine practiced for over 1000 years. Why the sudden change? I pose this question to the most cynical of sceptics, do you have any idea what the odds are that this planet Earth was just a fluke? Just think about the changes and diversity of life that has taken place on Mother Earth over 4 Billion years. There have been multiple mass extinctions which at times, 99% of all life was extinguished, yet life thrives. Life is an innate, unstoppable force of the utilization of energy and thermodynamics of the universe. If Nasa is promising it will find life within 20 years, rest assured, they've already found proof 20 years ago.

I have absolutely no doubt that indisputable proof of extra terrestrial life exists and is being kept secret by NASA, the Vatican, and other secretive government sects. There are a few reasons why it hasn't been disclosed by NASA. Firstly, because of money. Think of all the government grants, and all of the people who have spent their entire careers and lives in the pursuit of this existential quest. Now consider the dollars that are being allocated to continue that pursuit. The one thing that could possibly put an end to the massive amount of money being granted to universities and Nasa would be a successful mission accomplished.

I know you think this makes sense but it really doesn't. First of all the only scientific program actively seeking proof of extraterrestrial life is SETI and they are privately funded. Second, if proof of life was found funding would go up, not down because people would be clamoring to know more, to possibly communicate etc. They aren't clamoring for the scientific discoveries present funding is programmed fr.

An excommunicated catholic priest, Bruno, was burned at the stake as a heritic by the Vatican for his beliefs in a life-filled universe beyond Earth just a few centuries ago. Now, within the last year, the Vatican announces it is accepting and anticipating proof any day of Bruno's theory of a universe filled with multitudes of life beyond Earth and is ready to accept all God's creatures, regardless of their universal origin, thus completely reversing a penultimate doctorine practiced for over 1000 years. Why the sudden change?

The church changes doctrine all the time and is simply coming in-line with current scientific theory. The big trigger for all this is Kepler's discovery of so many, many more earth like inhabitable planets than originally thought. Regardless, Bruno was hundreds of years ago and the church is NOT proclaiming universe filled with multitudes of life, they are simply stating that the possibility of life elsewhere is now likely. I think you are simply combining two of your CT obsessions here.

I pose this question to the most cynical of sceptics, do you have any idea what the odds are that this planet Earth was just a fluke? Just think about the changes and diversity of life that has taken place on Mother Earth over 4 Billion years. There have been multiple mass extinctions which at times, 99% of all life was extinguished, yet life thrives. Life is an innate, unstoppable force of the utilization of energy and thermodynamics of the universe. If Nasa is promising it will find life within 20 years, rest assured, they've already found proof 20 years ago.

I know of only one skeptic here that says there is no chance of life existing elsewhere. One. All the rest believe that life off-planet is likely to very-likely. You obviously don't keep up with science or you'd know all this activity is because of the discovery that earth-like planets in the inhabitable zone are common, not rare as we thought just a year ago. Kepler has changed the paradigm.

If you are truly interested in this stuff then I suggest you stop visiting CT sites and start following real science sites like those offered by NASA and all the universities you condemn.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

Alien life forms nearer to Earth could be animals and plants. The nearest intelligent life who might even look human could be at a medieval stage and not in any way able to pick up or respond to any signals.

Alien life forms nearer to Earth could be animals and plants. The nearest intelligent life who might even look human could be at a medieval stage and not in any way able to pick up or respond to any signals.

More likely bacterial and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in our solar system. At that moment of discovery the biggest debate will be about panspermia. I just hope it happens in my lifetime and I feel confident it will (sorry scowl). I can't wait for the James Webb ST.

edit: Just wanted to say I am not looking forward to the JWST to discover life, I am looking forward to it because I believe it will change much of our understanding of the universe, just as the Hubble did ..if it works. It is a helluva dangerous mission.

Edited by Merc14

If alien life is bacterial then NASA might need to invent an enormous space microscope.