Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bugs anyone?

Skeptical Moose

Not sure if anyone here is interested in these little critters but i find them facinating...plus...they kind of resemble aliens in their own little way

Any and all feel free to contribute if you have any or if you have any questions i'll be sure to answer them the best i can :D

9332798468_9475d1f5d7_z.jpg

PaperWasp23 by LenzFreak, on Flickr

9386536192_29f93212d1_z.jpg

Hover13 by LenzFreak, on Flickr

I have tons more if anyone is interested :tu:

• Like 6

I find them strangely fascinating and try to catch any documentary about insects or arachnids. Having said that, I am a little skeezed out by them in real life, but typically, I try not to kill them on sight. Once, a wasp flew into my house. I grabbed my broom and instead of exterminating with extreme prejudice, presented it to him and he climbed on and let me take him outside without stinging both of my eyeballs out. Human/Insect teamwork for the win.

Now had that have been a large spider, I probably would've just burned the house down.

• Like 5

Of all the things i'm thankful for....the fact that spiders don't have wings is really high on that list :yes:

• Like 3

I think your photos are stunning :tsu: and they've captured my favorite subjects, inverts! :tsu:

I may need to pass my point and shoot onto my daughter, who wants it anyway, and copy your set up!

Because I do scare away my subject sometimes and I love the minute details in yours.

Those details could help in my invert identification too.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Of all the things i'm thankful for....the fact that spiders don't have wings is really high on that list :yes:

You got that right!

What a great creepy cryptid that would be.

I think your photos are stunning :tsu: and they've captured my favorite subjects, inverts! :tsu:

I may need to pass my point and shoot onto my daughter, who wants it anyway, and copy your set up!

Because I do scare away my subject sometimes and I love the minute details in yours.

Those details could help in my invert identification too.

Just be prepared, it can become a pretty wild addiction :tsu:

The wasp photo is great.

Macro insect photography is always fascinating. I love the more intimate perspective it gives you.

I don't use an official macro lens, but I try to get in as close as I can.

8707559248_54a970919a.jpg

I like the snails because they don't mind sticking around while I fuss around with camera settings. :D

One more, a Woolly Bear Caterpillar.

8179011162_f72cc3ae7b.jpg

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 7

ML, do you belong to California Bug Club or SF BATS (San Francisco/ Bay Area Tarantula Society)?

I love bugs, particularly native species and have quite a few as pets.

Brown spider (Loxosceles sp., related to the brown recluse) eating an Acromyrmex mature male leaf-cutter ant.

DSCN2908_zps8d271100.jpg

Local species of tarantula, Aphonopelma species. I read what species this is but can't recall right now. Very pretty black with red hairs on the butt, at any rate. This is a mature male and probably around 5-7 years old at a bad guess.

DSCN2868_zpsc922fb91.jpg

Edited by cacoseraph
  • Like 4

Cool shots and thanks for adding :D

As far as the clubs go i was actually unaware that there were any :blush:

Not quite bugs, but I used to keep crystal red shrimp, a kind of tiny ornamental shrimp from Japan (about 3/4 of inch). A few macro shots out of my tank:

ShrimpTank115.jpg

ShrimpTank119.jpg

ShrimpTank111.jpg

• Like 4

oh man, i love jumping spiders. they're just the best. they always look so friendly, too.

i wish i could contribute some pictures of my own, but i've got no camera skills. also, no camera

• Like 2

oh man, i love jumping spiders. they're just the best. they always look so friendly, too.

i wish i could contribute some pictures of my own, but i've got no camera skills. also, no camera

Agree, jumpers are my favorite subject to shoot, such an innocence about them. Skills and camera can be acquired.. just sayin :tu:

• Like 1

Even I'm not scared of jumping spiders. They're pretty adorable as far as arachnids are concerned.

This could be a neat thread to see everyone's bug shots from around the world.

• Like 1

Even I'm not scared of jumping spiders. They're pretty adorable as far as arachnids are concerned.

This could be a neat thread to see everyone's bug shots from around the world.

This is what i'm hoping for. They say variety is the spice of life...lets prove them right. :tu:

I have to say a big 'oooops' cause I didn't realize they have to be pictures we had taken....cause mine are from the internet...I'm not a good photographer.

So....my sincere apologies... :blush:

• Like 1

I have to say a big 'oooops' cause I didn't realize they have to be pictures we had taken....cause mine are from the internet...I'm not a good photographer.

So....my sincere apologies... :blush:

No need for apologies, i had actually completely forgot to mention that in the OP. It doesn't actually bother me if pictures are posted that one finds fascinating as long as credit is given to the original photographer if the info is available...some of them are very protective of their work :yes:

Some more aliens...eerrrrr i mean bugs :P

Green Bottle fly

9453447217_eb4afd1948_z.jpg

Greenbot21 by LenzFreak, on Flickr

Honey Bee

9428692399_c734201781_z.jpg

Bee9 by LenzFreak, on Flickr

House fly

9531621705_2a03ffa968_z.jpg

Housefly2 by LenzFreak, on Flickr

That's actually very impressive for a P&S, the hoverfly in the first image is very sharp, great job :tu: