Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vaccinations at Birth can Help

frogfish

Vaccines at birth a possibility

Agents could be added to vaccines to boost the immune response

A study has shown that vaccinating newborn babies might be possible.

Currently, most immunisations are given to babies at two months of age because they are unable to mount an immune response to the majority of vaccines.

But US scientists have found a way to stimulate an immune response in newborns, following the discovery of a type of molecule present at birth.

The team, writing in the journal Blood, say infant mortality could be reduced if babies are vaccinated at birth.

Newborn babies have an immature immune system. This, coupled with their reduced response to most vaccines, leaves very young babies vulnerable to infections.

We believe we have stumbled across the molecular holy grail of neonatal immunology

Dr Ofer Levy, lead researcher

But immunologists from the Children's Hospital, Boston, say they have found a molecule, called Toll-like receptor 8, which could be stimulated to boost immune responses and enable vaccination.

First defence

Toll-like receptors, or TLRs, are found on the surface of certain types of white blood cells, and are the first line of defence against infection.

They detect the presence of invading bacteria and viruses, and trigger the production of cytokines, a type of protein, that cause other immune cells to mount a defence against infection.

Babies, like adults, have 10 kinds of TLRs, but unlike in adults, most, when stimulated, do not trigger this kind of immune response.

This, according to the researchers, could be an evolutionary factor, whereby a baby's immune system is inactivated during pregnancy so as to prevent attacking its mother's.

However, the researchers discovered that one of the TLRs, TLR-8, was an exception and could be stimulated by several compounds to produce an immune response.

Dr Ofer Levy, lead researcher on the study and an immunologist from Harvard Medical School, said: "These are exactly the kinds of responses you need to get good vaccine responses."

New vaccines

These compounds could perhaps given to babies alongside vaccines, he said, to boost the neonatal vaccine response, thereby enabling vaccination of newborns.

"We believe we have stumbled across the molecular holy grail of neonatal immunology."

His team will now carry out further studies to test this possibility in animals and eventually in babies.

He said his findings could have real practical benefits.

"In the Western world we tend to vaccinate babies at two, four and six months - this means that we leave a window of susceptibility," said Dr Levy.

"If we could come up with a way to get the system to work at birth, then you would close that window of susceptibility."

From a global health perspective, he said, there is evidence that babies in the developing world have the highest rate of contact with the healthcare system at birth, compared to the rest of their childhoods.

"And if a vaccine could be given at birth, you will achieve better vaccine coverage rates," he said.

But Adam Finn, professor of paediatrics from Bristol University, said it was too early to say whether this research could change vaccination.

"This is an interesting observation about one aspect of a baby's immune system that appears to work quite well and which could, theoretically, be exploited to make vaccines more effective in the future," said Professor Finn.

"But it is important to remember that it is a preliminary observation."

Link

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• frogfish

• robbieb

• Idriss

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pass they don't know enough for my tastes, vaccinations tamper with the immune system...In theory its a great idea vaccinations but in reality it hasn't been studied enough the only studies are the ones form years back in england there is no long term studies or funding beyond the clinical trials that are needed to get drugs aproved of...i say after more comprehensive studies medicine is in its infancy many approved drugs end up being recalled the way studies are done is criminal i draw the lines at infants,,...its funny many of the things vaccinated for provide lifelong immunitys and are no more than a common cold.... Fear is a useful tool here scare the parent into tinkning hte kid will die otherwise yet over nad over its showing that the vaccinations aren't working. other thatn to cause a whle lot of problems......I have seen that myself the chicken pox one what a laugh and I was just speaking wiht a client of mine that is a docotor told me that there is no guarentee they work......they just don't know..........

vaccinations tamper with the immune system

By making them better :tu:

but in reality it hasn't been studied enough the only studies are the ones form years back in england there is no long term studies or funding beyond the clinical trials that are needed to get drugs aproved of

Wow, have you been living in a cave? You must be for such an ignorant statement like that. :yes: There has been a lot of funding, research and testing on vaccinations.

i say after more comprehensive studies medicine is in its infancy many approved drugs end up being recalled the way studies are done is criminal i draw the lines at infants,,

How are studines criminal? Infant vaccinations will SAVE lives like it said in the article. Ask any doctor.

its funny many of the things vaccinated for provide lifelong immunitys and are no more than a common cold

Hepatitus A B C, Mumps, Rubella, Measles, Whooping Cough, Malaria, Influenza...I think you are wrong :tu:

Fear is a useful tool here scare the parent into tinkning hte kid will die otherwise yet over nad over its showing that the vaccinations aren't working. other thatn to cause a whle lot of problems......

Why, I thought you were using fear? I won't die if I get Malaria, so I'll pass up the vaccination! Tetanus won't hurt me! No vaccination! Hepatitus? Hmph! Who needs a hepatitus vaccine?

Another ignorant comment from Sherri. Any doctor would disagree. :yes:

I have seen that myself the chicken pox one what a laugh and I was just speaking wiht a client of mine that is a docotor told me that there is no guarentee they work......

I thought it worked just dandy...Along with the Hepatitus, Malaria, Smallpox, Polio, MRM, Tetanus, etc...

they just don't know..........

Or maybe you just don't know...The whole Medical community against Sherri...Medicine wins!

By making them better :tu:

Wow, have you been living in a cave? You must be for such an ignorant statement like that. :yes: There has been a lot of funding, research and testing on vaccinations.

How are studines criminal? Infant vaccinations will SAVE lives like it said in the article. Ask any doctor.

Hepatitus A B C, Mumps, Rubella, Measles, Whooping Cough, Malaria, Influenza...I think you are wrong :tu:

Why, I thought you were using fear? I won't die if I get Malaria, so I'll pass up the vaccination! Tetanus won't hurt me! No vaccination! Hepatitus? Hmph! Who needs a hepatitus vaccine?

Another ignorant comment from Sherri. Any doctor would disagree. :yes:

I thought it worked just dandy...Along with the Hepatitus, Malaria, Smallpox, Polio, MRM, Tetanus, etc...

Or maybe you just don't know...The whole Medical community against Sherri...Medicine wins!

Geez frog if we were to have an outbreak of malaria it would be devastating, especially in the US where the population hasn't been exposed to this in generations thus having no immunity to it...If the weather continues the way it has been we are looking at the reality of this..

Edited by Sheri berri

Geez frog if we were to have an outbreak of malaria it would be devastating, especially in the US where the population hasn't been exposed to this in generations thus having no immunity to it...If the weather continues the way it has been we are looking at the reality of this..

In case you are not being sarcastic, this is where vaccines come in :tu:

In case you are not being sarcastic, this is where vaccines come in :tu:

Frog I'm not being sarcastic if we have an outbreak of malaria vaccine or no vaccine we are in trouble alot of lifes will be lost......and i the way the weather has been lately its looking like a very real possibility ...As americans we haven't been exposed to malaria in generations there is no immunity.....There is no guarentee with vaccines now thats the truth, a vaccine doens't mean you don't get it frog.......Geez if our water supply went bad diptheria here we come the vaccine ain't gonna save us....Thats what I'm tryin g to tell you .....any health care person will tell you vaccines aren't a guarentee.....Its a bandaid at best just like the rest of medicine.....

christ! you two at it again? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ravinar

christ! you two at it again? :rolleyes:

Frog and i are very passionate about our perspectives we actually do like each other really...tell em frog lol.......

Frog I'm not being sarcastic if we have an outbreak of malaria vaccine or no vaccine we are in trouble alot of lifes will be lost......

Vaccines will SAVE lives here :yes:

vaccines now thats the truth, a vaccine doens't mean you don't get it frog.......Geez if our water supply went bad diptheria here we come the vaccine ain't gonna save us....Thats what I'm tryin g to tell you .....any health care person will tell you vaccines aren't a guarentee.....Its a bandaid at best just like the rest of medicine.....

Medicine is a bandaid? i thought it was a cure :rolleyes: Oh silly me!

tell em frog lol

Yep...Just friendly discussion :yes:

Vaccines will SAVE lives here :yes:

Medicine is a bandaid? i thought it was a cure :rolleyes: Oh silly me!

Yep...Just friendly discussion :yes:

What has been a cure refresh my memory frog.....

Don't vaccinate your kids. Sherri is right - they do nothing but mess with the systems natural ability to heal itself. Pharmaceutical companies make billions by tampering with our kids.

I know of a child who has never been vaccinated in his life and when seen by doctors his parents were told he was the healthiest kid they had ever seen. He has also never been sick.

I don't have kids yet but they will not be getting injected with poisons that aren't properly tested, just to line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies execs.

:no:

Edited by RedEyeJedi

Guest Lottie

No-one is right and no-one is wrong. It is the parents choice whether or not to vaccinate their child. I have no qualms in having my child vaccinated. For me personally I see it as much more of a risk if my son wasn't.

Personally I feel that dangerous and potentially fatal diseases are prevented from spreading by vaccinations.

Edited by Lottie

Don't vaccinate your kids. Sherri is right - they do nothing but mess with the systems natural ability to heal itself. Pharmaceutical companies make billions by tampering with our kids.

I know of a child who has never been vaccinated in his life and when seen by doctors his parents were told he was the healthiest kid they had ever seen. He has also never been sick.

I don't have kids yet but they will not be getting injected with poisons that aren't properly tested, just to line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies execs.

:no:

You met my son huh Just kidding..i actually have a 8 year old boy who has never been seriously ill ever he is eight years and he just recently lost his first baby tooth he is somewhat of a example at the doctors and denist we too were told the same thing he is very healthy , We actually go to the docotrs when we are well not sick lol..Also a baby that is breast fed will get all the things the mother has an immunity too and it really is true...

I can't tell people what to do i say research for yourself look at it from all sides i too am very bothered that the long term research is non existant and that its little babies immune systems they tamper with but as parents we each have to make our own choices as Lottie says........But I also don't suport the fast food industry i think they serve garbage and I don't kill animals or support the destruction of the rain forest or child slave labor......I feel as a consumer i put my money where my mouth is..but thats me not everyone else feels as I do......lol

Edited by Sheri berri

Well I am 21 yr. and I have had all of my vaccinations. I was never sick as a child. And as an adult I very rarely get sick. I'm not against the decision not giving your children vaccines. But if I turned out o.k. then I guess they really couldn't hurt.

You met my son huh Just kidding..i actually have a 8 year old boy who has never been seriously ill ever he is eight years and he just recently lost his first baby tooth he is somewhat of a example at the doctors and denist we too were told the same thing he is very healthy , We actually go to the docotrs when we are well not sick lol..Also a baby that is breast fed will get all the things the mother has an immunity too and it really is true...

I can't tell people what to do i say research for yourself look at it from all sides i too am very bothered that the long term research is non existant and that its little babies immune systems they tamper with but as parents we each have to make our own choices as Lottie says........But I also don't suport the fast food industry i think they serve garbage and I don't kill animals or support the destruction of the rain forest or child slave labor......I feel as a consumer i put my money where my mouth is..but thats me not everyone else feels as I do......lol

didn't you say in an earlier thread that your son was home-schooled etc i think that's the reason why your son is 'healthy' :hmm:

didn't you say in an earlier thread that your son was home-schooled etc i think that's the reason why your son is 'healthy' :hmm:

Kahrie yes i home school, this is the first year my son attended public school for two years and we are very active in groups so no that is not why he is healthy he is just healthy due to eating habits and a strong immune system, If you have been to a public school it has alot of sick kids but if you are a healthy organism to begin with your chances of getting ill are slim to nil...IMO it has alot to do with the foods you eat.....

What has been a cure refresh my memory frog

Polio, smallpox, MRM

Vaccines have also saved millions of lives against diseases like Malaria, Hepatitus, influenza, etc.

Polio, smallpox, MRM

Vaccines have also saved millions of lives against diseases like Malaria, Hepatitus, influenza, etc.

Frog wasn't it you that just put at article on a recent outbreak of mumps???lol vaccines aren't a cure, the last reported case of Polio was 1999 caused by the vaccine lol.....

malaria????we have already discussed this if we get an outbreak of malaria we are in trouble frog there is no immunity for it.... hepatitis do you know how many people have hepatitis frog I think you misunderstand the nature of vaccines......Frog do you know what they use to treat cancer????? do you know what their experimental cures are?

Edited by Sheri berri

I think vaccines will always be a taboo subject.

I have no kids of my own, but I had all the childhood vaccines, diptheria, tetanus, polio, rubella etc ( and the others as I remember, it was my parents decision, not mine, being a kid and all ) and I got sick as and when I got sick.

I work in a GP surgery and there's an ongoing thing with the MMR vaccine, parents want to pay to have it done privately in separate doses. That's their decision, and I'm sure when I have my own, I'll make a decision that I think is right.

Saying that, although I never got chickenpox as a child ( there being no vaccine for it anyways ) I recently had shingles at 30 and can't say it was a nice experience!

Good debate though, and some interesting perspectives.

:tu:

I think vaccines will always be a taboo subject.

I have no kids of my own, but I had all the childhood vaccines, diptheria, tetanus, polio, rubella etc ( and the others as I remember, it was my parents decision, not mine, being a kid and all ) and I got sick as and when I got sick.

I work in a GP surgery and there's an ongoing thing with the MMR vaccine, parents want to pay to have it done privately in separate doses. That's their decision, and I'm sure when I have my own, I'll make a decision that I think is right.

Saying that, although I never got chickenpox as a child ( there being no vaccine for it anyways ) I recently had shingles at 30 and can't say it was a nice experience!

Good debate though, and some interesting perspectives.

:tu:

Thanks for the kind words on being a good debate , there is a vaccine for the chicken pox now which is funny becasue if you get chicken pox the benefits are a lifetime immunity, and the immunity passed on through breast feeding works too, i actually had that experince it seems to me genetically we not only pass on the diseases but also the benefits as organisms...lol allergies and most learning diabilities ( which are newer diseases) its alluded too that they are a result of vaccinations.....

Frog wasn't it you that just put at article on a recent outbreak of mumps???

Diseases evolve...haven't I said that? One of the most damaging strains of Meningitis has been eradicated by vaccines :tu:

lol vaccines aren't a cure, the last reported case of Polio was 1999 caused by the vaccine lol.....

lol vaccines are a cure, vaccines eradicated 99% of polio lol....

Ever hear of Jonas Salk?

malaria????we have already discussed this if we get an outbreak of malaria we are in trouble frog there is no immunity for it

yet the vaccine saves millions of lives in my home country of India every year.

hepatitis do you know how many people have hepatitis frog I think you misunderstand the nature of vaccines......

Funny that those people didn't get the vaccines...You say that I don't understand vaccines? My background says otherwise....

Frog do you know what they use to treat cancer????? do you know what their experimental cures are?

Chemotherapy, etc...point?

lol allergies and most learning diabilities ( which are newer diseases) its alluded too that they are a result of vaccinations.....

Like I said before, less than 5% of the population is allergic to vaccines and medicine. You would have a better chance of getting autism from being struck with a baseball on the head than a vaccine!

The risks are wayyyyy to small...

Diseases evolve...haven't I said that? One of the most damaging strains of Meningitis has been eradicated by vaccines

Mumps evolved with the same name how scientific of you did i not say that its never the vaccination they just rename 'the disease or it evolves' Its never the vaccination ...you are being groomed very well frog.......

meningitis has not been erradicated again we have been over this frog erradicated means gone never to be heard of or seen again...let me guess you'll say it evolved.....

malaria hasn't been cured........again for the hundredth time vaccines do not create cures.....at best they allow for a milder case of the disease thats the best case scenerio, but as i have said if our water suply is infected we are all getting diptheria.... More people have immunitys than don't frog.....We are now seeing the effects of vaccinations we have no long ternm studies and before you claim they do post a link , not another clinical study either frog.......

say that its never the vaccination

Because it never IS the vaccine!

meningitis has not been erradicated again we have been over this frog erradicated means gone never to be heard of or seen again...let me guess you'll say it evolved

Read my post again:

One of the most damaging strains of Meningitis has been eradicated by vaccines

again for the hundredth time vaccines do not create cures.....

But they play a part in it...Like Polio, smallpox, malaria...The best cure is prevention :tu:

not another clinical study either

Whats wrong with a clinical study Sherri? Oh yea, you want the biased Sherri opinion!

OMYGosh Frog are you finally cracking "But they play a part in it...Like Polio, smallpox, malaria...The best cure is prevention"

there have been no cures since polio if the truth be told, why would there be cures there is no money in cures lol.......

they find a way to allow people to live with things just enough to keep the money flowing....

Take cancer frog you can argue cancer is natural, no doubt there are some cancers that originate from some biological useful process at one time, and there are genes that may predispose some to cancers, but the majority of cancers aren't the natural course of human life...something is assualting the body damagining it from without altering its functions in a very unnatural manner.....Yttrium which is a primarly waste from nuclear weapons is being promoted as a 'cure' for cancer.

there are some companies that sell or produce toxic or cacinogenic chemicals as waste by products are able to spin or surpress news stories so good yet this chemical is sprayed on there corn every year, this chemical has been linked to breast cancer, leukemia, birth defects and reproductive tumours....

there have been no cures since polio if the truth be told, why would there be cures there is no money in cures lol.......

That is the most ridiculous idea ever...I am not talking with an educated person, but with a ignorant conspriacist. Why don't you make your way over to the Conspiracies section lol there are more of your kind lol

they find a way to allow people to live with things just enough to keep the money flowing....

Lol, you are so misinformed...

Take cancer frog you can argue cancer is natural, no doubt there are some cancers that originate from some biological useful process at one time, and there are genes that may predispose some to cancers, but the majority of cancers aren't the natural course of human life...

Actually, a close majority are of natural and natural exposure orgin.

there are some companies that sell or produce toxic or cacinogenic chemicals as waste by products are able to spin or surpress news stories so good yet this chemical is sprayed on there corn every year, this chemical has been linked to breast cancer, leukemia, birth defects and reproductive tumours....

Never heard this propaganda before...1% of the population!