Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What religion does to your brain

andrew newberg god helmet brain

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,475 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

When neuroscientist Andrew Newberg scanned the brain of "Kevin", a staunch atheist, while he was meditating, he made a fascinating discovery. "Compared with the Buddhist monks and Franciscan nuns, whose brains I'd also scanned, Kevin's brain operated in a significantly different way," he says.

http://www.telegraph...your-brain.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,440 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Another load of useless research! Kevin`s brain could have been operating in a different way because of numerous reasons, just like someone into rap music may operate differently to someone into classical, someone into skydiving may operate differently to someone into bird watching. etc etc etc etc....

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,571 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Posted Image

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    quiXilver

quiXilver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

religion is the process of spiritually house-breaking humans...  Creighton Larson

Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain. ~ Ihab Hassan
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~R. Buckminster Fuller
Just because you thought it, or felt it deeply, doesn't make it real, true or important.  Don't believe everything you think... ~ Creighton Larson
Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  ~Creighton Larson

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

Aahhhhh yes. The old "if we can see it in the brain it's not real" argument.  Well then, I suppose nothing exists then. Not really. Our rcognition of anything is only a complex set of nural chemical and electrical interactions.  Scientists have prooven that nothing exists.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,763 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

I would submit that all brain functions are based on biological electro-chemical transactions. How does the spiritual manifest or alter these physical functions of the brain?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 22 June 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

I would submit that all brain functions are based on biological electro-chemical transactions. How does the spiritual manifest or alter these physical functions of the brain?
NDEs seem to occur when there is zero blood pressure, flat eegs, and extensive research into resuscitation techniques unfortunately using animals like dogs, confirms that complex visual, audio, and memory storage functions simply can't happen with zero blood pressure. Doctors really want to save people and in studying the process of dying they have put animals to death under many circumstances including scanning the brain. No activity with no blood pressure. ( one study with mice seems to have a new angle possibly).

As of now the body of evidence suggest that indeed you don't need electrical interactions to have and store an experience to memory, nor do you need blood flow to the brain. If NDEs were like dreams or hallucinations, then all kinds of brainwaves would light up during experiments.... They don't. People can get all kinds of creative with "debunking" but its not what the evidence shows.

As to the interface.... well. I don't thing there is one. Spirit/body is a very narrow duality.  We may exist in quite a number of different ways simultaneously. This ego consciousness much like the tip of an ice burg.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 23 June 2014 - 05:57 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#8    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,763 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Of course NDE's have become big business, there's a lot of money to be made exploiting this subject. Since there have been no intensive medical research done on humans, all the personal reports of the experience are subjective. This doesn mean NDE's are not real, as the following quote demonstrates.

To sort out the issue, Borjigin and her colleagues examined nine rats. They induced cardiac arrest while the animals were hooked up to EEG machines, and the team then measured the electrical activity in the animals' brains.
About 30 seconds after the heart had stopped, all the animals experienced waves of synchronized brain activity that were characteristic of the conscious brain. Rats that were asphyxiated with carbon monoxide showed a similar pattern of brain activity.
The rats' visual cortex, which processes visual imagery, was also highly activated. This could shed light on why NDEs are so vivid, Borjigin said.
"They all show the fingerprints of neural consciousness at near-death is at a much higher level compared to the waking state. That explains the realer-than-real human experience," Borjigin told LiveScience.
The team believes that this electrical surge may be a mechanism the brain uses to rescue itself from a sharp drop in glucose and oxygen. Though it may not work for animals in cardiac arrest, Borjigin speculates that this mechanism spurs alertness or hyperawareness in less critical situations.
http://www.huffingto..._n_3745339.html

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#9    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,720 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

"Some theologians, however, welcome the research, seeing it as proof that God equipped our bodies with the ability to believe."

LOL!!!

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#10    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

I've been told my brain is wired differently because I have Asperger Syndrome.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users