Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma Earthquake

The Unseen

Does anyone have any info about the Earthquake that hit Oklahoma,We here in Texas felt it as far as Carrolton Texas.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Unseen

• Taun

• encouraged

• Doug1029

Does anyone have any info about the Earthquake that hit Oklahoma,We here in Texas felt it as far as Carrolton Texas.

Apparently it was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake, it was pretty scary everything was shaking and it kept shaking for a good 20 seconds and then some little aftershocks. This is the second one in two days. The previous one was 4.7 the night before. I wonder whats going on. Not only do we have to deal with Tornado's but now earthquakes too..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20111106_12_0_PRAGUE230246

Edited by Aliyana

I felt it in Denton TX. I was watching a movie and it sounded like the wind picked up for a few seconds, then it felt like my couch was wobbling and I heard the walls of my townhouse creaking. I have an earthquake app on my phone, so I immediately fired it up and kept refreshing until the quake showed up about 10 minutes later. I wasn't sure it was what I thought it was until that app confirmed it. Crazy stuff.

It was pretty scary everything was shaking and it kept shaking for a good 20 seconds and then some little aftershocks. Its just weird! This is the second one in two days. The previous one was 4.7 the night before. I wonder whats going on. Not only do we have to deal with Tornado's but now earthquakes too..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20111106_12_0_PRAGUE230246

It was a loud one too... It sounded like a train rumbling through a station - which is weird... I've been through a lot of earthquakes - in California and Japan, but can't remember one that was this loud... Didn't suffer any damage ... And haven't heard of any injuries thank goodness...

We actually get a lot of tremors here in OK... but they are usually very small, seldom even noticed... This one is being called the strongest one on record...

Freaked my cat out...

Apparently it was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake, it was pretty scary everything was shaking and it kept shaking for a good 20 seconds and then some little aftershocks. This is the second one in two days. The previous one was 4.7 the night before. I wonder whats going on. Not only do we have to deal with Tornado's but now earthquakes too..

The 2nd one? oh man thats not good.I love Oklahoma and I hope no one was hurt,I live in Texas and vacation in Oklahoma.I would be very happy if you could keep me updated on any more news on this matter.Thank you

I felt it in Denton TX. I was watching a movie and it sounded like the wind picked up for a few seconds, then it felt like my couch was wobbling and I heard the walls of my townhouse creaking. I have an earthquake app on my phone, so I immediately fired it up and kept refreshing until the quake showed up about 10 minutes later. I wasn't sure it was what I thought it was until that app confirmed it. Crazy stuff.

Are you allright my friend?Hope your townhouse is ok,I had a friend say they were baking a cake and it came out flat but that was the most that went wrong with her.

It was a loud one too... It sounded like a train rumbling through a station - which is weird... I've been through a lot of earthquakes - in California and Japan, but can't remember one that was this loud... Didn't suffer any damage ... And haven't heard of any injuries thank goodness...

We actually get a lot of tremors here in OK... but they are usually very small, seldom even noticed... This one is being called the strongest one on record...

Freaked my cat out...

what were the quakes like in Cali and Japan? I myself have never been through one.First Tornadoes and now earthquakes too.I used to think we were to far away from fault lines,Now......Oh crap thats all we need. :o

what were the quakes like in Cali and Japan? I myself have never been through one.First Tornadoes and now earthquakes too.I used to think we were to far away from fault lines,Now......Oh crap thats all we need. :o

I guess all quakes feel about the same - mostly depending on how close to the epi-center and how high up in a building you might be (The higher up you are the more the building sways)..

First, you usually notice little movements of lighter things around you - my first quake I sat there for a few seconds and watched a coke can dance across my desk top, before I felt anything...

Then you feel the ground (or the floor) start to shake... it quickly grows in intensity (depending on the strength of the quake of course)...

It normally doesn't come to a quick stop, just gradually peters out...

It's like a lot of things, hard to describe but the moment you are in one - you'll know it...

I guess all quakes feel about the same - mostly depending on how close to the epi-center and how high up in a building you might be (The higher up you are the more the building sways)..

First, you usually notice little movements of lighter things around you - my first quake I sat there for a few seconds and watched a coke can dance across my desk top, before I felt anything...

Then you feel the ground (or the floor) start to shake... it quickly grows in intensity (depending on the strength of the quake of course)...

It normally doesn't come to a quick stop, just gradually peters out...

It's like a lot of things, hard to describe but the moment you are in one - you'll know it...

Well the way things are going it looks like I will know what one feels like soon enough,YIKES.

Well the way things are going it looks like I will know what one feels like soon enough,YIKES.

I'm thinking the same thing. Just great, what's wrong with you, tectonic plates! <_<

No, all earthquakes are not the same, I live in California and have been through many!!! I've seen them with a rolling motion that made the ground look like a wave in the water and the I beam quake that shakes up and down, has no sound before or after and stops as suddenly as it starts. I heard earthquakes and haven't felt them, thought it was a truck driving by when I suddenly realized there wasn't a road close enough. The only thing they share in common is the tummy flip you feel when you realize it's the ground moving. The ones that are noisy are the most scary, those are deep and can be volcanic, hopefully, your earthquake is not...... Remember to pack an earthquake kit, 3 days of food and water. 1gal. of water per day, per person. Canned meat, beans or peanut butter, some sort of veggie and pasta. Don't forget toilet tissue and soap. Turn off your gas before anything else. Don't run outside, there are power lines out there... Don't stand in a doorway, it's a myth, stand in the middle of the room and watch for what's falling, if it's the roof, lay next to the couch/sofa or bed. Most kitchen or dinning room tables aren't as strong as they are.

Are you allright my friend?Hope your townhouse is ok,I had a friend say they were baking a cake and it came out flat but that was the most that went wrong with her.

Oh yeah no problem here. No damage as far as I know. It was just an odd sensation. There was sort of a dizzy feeling that went along with it. Like I said, I wasn't positive it was a quake until the app confirmed it.

No, all earthquakes are not the same, I live in California and have been through many!!! I've seen them with a rolling motion that made the ground look like a wave in the water and the I beam quake that shakes up and down, has no sound before or after and stops as suddenly as it starts. I heard earthquakes and haven't felt them, thought it was a truck driving by when I suddenly realized there wasn't a road close enough. The only thing they share in common is the tummy flip you feel when you realize it's the ground moving. The ones that are noisy are the most scary, those are deep and can be volcanic, hopefully, your earthquake is not...... Remember to pack an earthquake kit, 3 days of food and water. 1gal. of water per day, per person. Canned meat, beans or peanut butter, some sort of veggie and pasta. Don't forget toilet tissue and soap. Turn off your gas before anything else. Don't run outside, there are power lines out there... Don't stand in a doorway, it's a myth, stand in the middle of the room and watch for what's falling, if it's the roof, lay next to the couch/sofa or bed. Most kitchen or dinning room tables aren't as strong as they are.

Do you mean like a brick dropped in a swimming pool wave only bigger ? man I have been through a few tornadoes with me seeing a few roofs torn off in front of me and more than a few cars flying in close by front and landing in front of me but that is what is to be expected ,now with earth quakes I dont know how to deal to much from that,I've had bombs go off close to me in the Middle east and have felt the ground shake but that only last a second or two,But as far as supplies for emergencies I'll take your advice.

Oh yeah no problem here. No damage as far as I know. It was just an odd sensation. There was sort of a dizzy feeling that went along with it. Like I said, I wasn't positive it was a quake until the app confirmed it.

I'm kinda courious to know what one feels like but also not ready for such.Now I will probably have trouble sleeping and will jump up scared every time my son slams the front door.LOL

Do you mean like a brick dropped in a swimming pool wave only bigger ? man I have been through a few tornadoes with me seeing a few roofs torn off in front of me and more than a few cars flying in close by front and landing in front of me but that is what is to be expected ,now with earth quakes I dont know how to deal to much from that,I've had bombs go off close to me in the Middle east and have felt the ground shake but that only last a second or two,But as far as supplies for emergencies I'll take your advice.

I've actually been through both a few tornadoes and a quite a few earthquakes and honestly, tornadoes are much more scary because it lasts longer.... I really meant like a wave in the ocean but if you haven't seen it, the pool is a good, only bigger. Never been through a bombing, thankfully. Yea, in a tornado, there isn't much use in emergency supplies that have left the county and are traveling to a different state. I went threw some sizable earthquakes like the bay bridge quake, I was actually 5 minutes off that when it collapsed. The foundation of my house fractured in that but we didn't lose a dish but the houses on both sides of us actually separated from their foundations. It's weird the way it happens. One house is fine and the next is destroyed. I guess it's like a tornado in that respect.

Take care.

Usually, the earth-moving events on an autumn weekend in Oklahoma are at the college football stadiums in Norman and Stillwater. But on this Saturday and Sunday, the earth moved — at least 23 times — and football was not involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/us/oklahoma-earthquake-sets-a-record.html

Has there been more earthquakes than usual in the area you live in?

Usually, the earth-moving events on an autumn weekend in Oklahoma are at the college football stadiums in Norman and Stillwater. But on this Saturday and Sunday, the earth moved — at least 23 times — and football was not involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/us/oklahoma-earthquake-sets-a-record.html

Has there been more earthquakes than usual in the area you live in?

5.6 The epicenter was almost under my favorite winery.

And we just had a tornado, just to round out the list of local disasters.

We have had three that noticeably shook my house in the last year.

Doug

And we just had a tornado, just to round out the list of local disasters.

We have had three that noticeably shook my house in the last year.

Doug

It's all global warmings fault, I tell you. My pine trees told me so...

Tongue in check aside, I didn't know Oklahoma had many earthquakes

That's pretty tragic. When the local beer distributors get hit, that's when the wailing and gnashing of teeth would really start, in my case. 😜

It's all global warmings fault, I tell you. My pine trees told me so...

Tongue in check aside, I didn't know Oklahoma had many earthquakes

We had another one last night - about a quarter to 10... Not sure how strong on the scale but it shook the building and the ground rumbled for close to a full minute...

Not much on the local news about it this morning so it probably wasn't a big one - but it was noticable...

3 quakes in as many days... :wacko:

I guess we're going to have to modify our calendars to add "Earthquake Season" along with Tornado, drought, and Ice Storm seasons...

We have earthquakes around the New Madrid fault and sometimes I feel them. One time I heard it coming through the big hill in front of my house before I felt it. We had one near here a few weeks ago, Missouri Ozarks, the epicenter wasn't anywhere near New Madrid. It happened in a place where there shouldn't be a fault line.