Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

is God an evil con

ask21771

I had this thought awhile back and I can't find a way to rule it out completely: what if God is evil and all good and positive things are a temporary lie if God is omnipotent he could create illusions that seem real on all levels allegedly so all the spiritual experiences relating to heaven what if their illusions and there is only hopeless eternal torment. This makes me upset please tell me why it's impossible to be true

Speaking of the biblical mentions, the best place for the deceiver to hide is plain sight, IE at the head of modern churches. Which is roughly what revelations says he would eventually do.

Sorry I can't put your mind to rest on this one.

• Like 1

The texts of the Bible does mention that God will send strong delusions to nonbelievers so they believe a lie.This was written so believers would not listen to nonbelievers, because nonbelievers are under God's delusion.

Check the links in my sig, and decide for yourself if God is even real.

I suggest starting with this first.

Btw the user Mystic Crusader will love you for your question.

Edited by davros of skaro

The texts of the Bible does mention that God will send strong delusions to nonbelievers so they believe a lie.This was written so believers would not listen to nonbelievers, because nonbelievers are under God's delusion.

Reword that please simplify it are you saying that my fear could be right

Back in 1641, René Descartes had pretty much the same idea.

Descarte's Evil Demon is still discussed by today's philosophers. IMO - no-one's been able to practically suggest a counter for it.

For all practical purposes, however - I wouldn't worry about it. Simulated or otherwise - live the reality that you find yourself in.

• Like 7

Back in 1641, René Descartes had pretty much the same idea.

Descarte's Evil Demon is still discussed by today's philosophers. IMO - no-one's been able to practically suggest a counter for it.

For all practical purposes, however - I wouldn't worry about it. Simulated or otherwise - live the reality that you find yourself in.

The reality I'm in is miserable right now I need proof that the possibility doesn't exist or I can't function

Belief in the OP's statement is just as true as belief in anything else, because belief is in the believer's mind and is not based on emperical evidence.

• Like 1

The reality I'm in is miserable right now I need proof that the possibility doesn't exist or I can't function

God is a myth, and the mind is very much capable of self delusion.

The guy on the right was a Christian for 25 hears untill he looked at the evidence.

God is a myth, and the mind is very much capable of self delusion.

The guy on the right was a Christian for 25 hears untill he looked at the evidence.

So my alternative to omnipotent evil is atheism

• Like 1

I would argue the oft quoted John 3:16 would counter the idea that God is evil: "For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." Sounds like a pretty great gift and a pretty great sacrifice on our behalf.

Also: "When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone." James 1:13

Well you can live in what you believe as of now, or step up to logic, reason, and look at the evidence I have provided.

• Like 1

Well you can live in what you believe as of now, or step up to logic, reason, and look at the evidence I have provided.

I already know something exists what I don't know is what its true moral nature is

Also: "When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone." James 1:13

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/tempted_by_god.html

• Like 1

The possibility definitely exists. It'll still exist whether you choose to function, or otherwise.

You need to stop focusing on possibilities and start focusing on likelihoods.

Sure - it's possible that the Earth is held on the back of invisible, undetectable turtles - but what's the likelihood of that?

What's the likelihood that someone would create you just to torment you with an illusion of reality?

Lots of things are possible. Not all of them are likely.

As an atheist - I'm telling you that the first time people come across this idea, it can blow their minds a little. You obviously have some religious beliefs. Hold onto them.

It's called Faith for a reason.

• Like 4

I already know something exists what I don't know is what its true moral nature is

How do you know?

Ive seen it and you obviously can't help me so leave

What did it look like?

What did it do?

Not really, there are other paths. I am a Pantheist in that I see the Universe as a living entity of which we are a component. It is neither good or evil. Since we are a part of it we are the Universe, in other words, we are God. If you want a just and loving God then be just and loving yourself. Go to the library and check out some books on other non abrahamic religions. You might find something that makes more sense to you.

• Like 4

I suggest starting with this first.

Good assumption.

I had this thought awhile back and I can't find a way to rule it out completely: what if God is evil and all good and positive things are a temporary lie if God is omnipotent he could create illusions that seem real on all levels allegedly so all the spiritual experiences relating to heaven what if their illusions and there is only hopeless eternal torment. This makes me upset please tell me why it's impossible to be true

http://youtu.be/Qt2mbGP6vFI

• Like 1

If there's a point I missed it

I think Phil is saying what I said, be the just and loving God you want to have. Think about it.

Edited by GreenmansGod

Harry Potter does not exist in another Universe.Harry is the creative writting of a Woman in this Universe.

The good and positive illusions God created seems to only apply to some of us, as in Mystic Crusader's Phil Collins' video. What about those for whom the illusion does not seem to apply?

Maybe they are too resolute to be fooled by the illusion.

Edited by StarMountainKid

You apparently believe in God, yes? And then had a thought that, what if God is evil? It seems to me that you're simply questioning your faith which is fairly normal.

Maybe God (if there is one) is neither good or evil, just simply indifferent to what goes on here on Earth?

As an aside, I describe myself as an an 'indifferent agnostic'. That is, I neither care or know of God's existence or non-existence. I find that it's a reciprocal relationship.

• Like 1