Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Cthulu Real ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Ok,just passing on a link .Don't shoot the messenger .

http://www.mandatory...-ocean/#photo=1

This article puts forth that Lovecraft actually predicted an animal of unimaginable size ,in our ocean .
They cite the bloop et al .
It's just kind of interesting.

Miss me?

#2    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

Giant creature? Quite probably. A sleeping Great Old One with a squid for a face and a global cult? I kind of doubt it. Quite frankly, the world's oceans could probably hide an entire civilization in their depths, with how little we know about them. We've barely scratched the surface of what lives in the deep sea, and half the species we do recognize are only known from one or two specimens.

#3    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostRavinoff, on 12 October 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

Giant creature? Quite probably. A sleeping Great Old One with a squid for a face and a global cult? I kind of doubt it. Quite frankly, the world's oceans could probably hide an entire civilization in their depths, with how little we know about them. We've barely scratched the surface of what lives in the deep sea, and half the species we do recognize are only known from one or two specimens.

An unbeliever now. when Great CTHULHU RISES FROM THE DEPTHS TO USHER IN THE NEW AGE YOU WILL ALL......wait. What? sorry about that forgot my pills.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,586 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

And the creators of South Park predicted the existence of a half man, half bear and half pig creature.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,330 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Surely the question should be "is Cthulu R'lyeh?"

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,775 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

How can something out of fiction be real?

#7    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm gonna go a head and say 'no'.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#8    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I used to think it was all just excellent weird fiction, but the more I visit coastal towns the more I'm seeing the Innsmouth Look... :unsure2:

Funnily enough there are only a couple hundred miles difference between the grid refs of the "Bloop" and Rl'yeh if I recall. However, it's all just fiction. Nobody actually cared about Lovecraft when he was alive apart form his peers, it was only after his death that August Derleth pushed to promote his work, and it kind of ran away from there- probably with some very clever, slightly suggestive, marketing strategies that made things like the cults, the Necronomicon and Cultes De Goules etc sound like they might actually be real. Then of course with the RPG in the 80s, very lifelike props in the forms of newspaper clippings were created fo ultra-real authenticity, and I suppose fact and fiction began to blur a wee bit.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#9    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'll say "yes" , just because I want there to be. :tsu:  And all kinds of other weird stuff in the depths too. :yes:

Edited by QuiteContrary, 12 October 2012 - 01:07 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#10    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,031 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nooooooooooooooope.

But to actually contribute to the thread, lol, it is an interesting idea. Makes me think of the Cloverfield monster.

Edited by Hasina, 12 October 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I hope so.  Interestingly enough, a giant eyeball washed up on the beach in South Florida this morning...

#12    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostUrisk, on 12 October 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I used to think it was all just excellent weird fiction, but the more I visit coastal towns the more I'm seeing the Innsmouth Look... :unsure2:

Funnily enough there are only a couple hundred miles difference between the grid refs of the "Bloop" and Rl'yeh if I recall. However, it's all just fiction. Nobody actually cared about Lovecraft when he was alive apart form his peers, it was only after his death that August Derleth pushed to promote his work, and it kind of ran away from there- probably with some very clever, slightly suggestive, marketing strategies that made things like the cults, the Necronomicon and Cultes De Goules etc sound like they might actually be real. Then of course with the RPG in the 80s, very lifelike props in the forms of newspaper clippings were created fo ultra-real authenticity, and I suppose fact and fiction began to blur a wee bit.

Lovecraft gave a location of 47° 9′0″ S, 126° 43′0″ W for R'lyeh, and the Bloop was figured to be around 50° 0′0″ S, 100° 0′0″ W.  I believe the straight line distance is about 1200 miles or so.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#13    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 October 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

And the creators of South Park predicted the existence of a half man, half bear and half pig creature.

Hey don't joke man/bear/pig is real and he will rip your face off. Al gore even says so and he created the internet and we all know if it is on the internet it's true. Now cthulu? No it isn't real thats just a book :)

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#14    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,649 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

View Postjackball74, on 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I hope so.  Interestingly enough, a giant eyeball washed up on the beach in South Florida this morning...
Posted Image Posted Image I believe it looks quite similar to the eye of a swordfish

#15    Mantis914

Mantis914

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

The "Julia" sound is interesting.  I've never heard of it before.  Almost sounds like something that's in pain...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users