Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 19 votes

Slender Man is upon us

• Please log in to reply
1205 replies to this topic

#1051    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Oooh goody! I have a day off (hooray); now I have something fun to do...catching up on Marble Hornets. Thanks!

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#1052    BeastieRunner

BeastieRunner

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostMurder 101, on 01 July 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

#60 is out

He got away! What!?

Right in your face!
Posted Image

He's here ...
Posted Image

Edited by BeastieRunner, 02 July 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image

#1053    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Slender Man isn't upon us.

#1054    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

thought you fans of the slender man may find this interesting a new video-game called Slender

http://uk.ign.com/ar...-is-pure-horror

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#1055    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

nah, i cant read that much in one, can somebody summarize?! LOL

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#1056    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostVaise, on 10 July 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

thought you fans of the slender man may find this interesting a new video-game called Slender

http://uk.ign.com/ar...-is-pure-horror

The people who made Marble Hornets have actually played this game and it scared them, so I'm very interested in trying it out.

Edited by Cryptid_Control, 10 July 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#1057    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostSuper-Fly, on 10 July 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

nah, i cant read that much in one, can somebody summarize?! LOL
It's 2 paragraphs you lazy bugger.

But anyways:
- Wake up in a dark forest, with no map, phone, or anything; other than a flash light.
- Your covinced to collect 8 pages pinned up throughout the map.
- When Slenderman is near you, the screen begins to glitch and go grainy slowly over time. Well, it's not you going near him, I guess when he gets in your path, he stops moving.
Then when you look around and your flashlight shows Slenderman, you get game over.

Oh! And theres also dark abandoned buildings, one significantly being a mens toilet and a womens toilet with half working lights and mirrors. >:-)

Edited by Skeptic Chicken, 11 July 2012 - 02:23 AM.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#1058    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

whilst trawling t'internet for new ufo sightings i came upon a ufo site that had supposed sightings of the slenderman, apparently they had taken it as real and were speculating that he was an ET!! i thought everyone knew it was made up

TCB

#1059    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

View Postcenobite, on 11 July 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

whilst trawling t'internet for new ufo sightings i came upon a ufo site that had supposed sightings of the slenderman, apparently they had taken it as real and were speculating that he was an ET!! i thought everyone knew it was made up

http://ufosearchonli...-man-sightings/ ?

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#1060    BeastieRunner

BeastieRunner

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

View Postcenobite, on 11 July 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 11 July 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I know we've talked about it before but there's been the tulpa theory thrown out (that he became real) and also if you think the fake sitings are funny ...

you really should search the thread for the Coast to Coast call-in. GOLD.

Posted Image

#1061    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 11 July 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

no thats not the site i found, it was ages ago i really cant remember it, but it was similar to the stuff on that sight, there was only one picture (the one in the woods) and supposed testimonies from people who claimed to have encountered him after ufo's were seen!!

TCB

#1062    harpinche

harpinche

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

So...can anybody maybe make a summary or something? I don't think it should be that hard to give a simple explanation than having us read a series of long stories.

Playing the brain game.

#1063    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

If you're interested, read them (or watch the videos). If not, find some other form of entertainment.

Edited by lizzieboo, 11 July 2012 - 10:14 PM.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#1064    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,457 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

View Postharpinche, on 11 July 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

So...can anybody maybe make a summary or something? I don't think it should be that hard to give a simple explanation than having us read a series of long stories.

It's not as good unless you read the stories.

Also, for fans of Slender Man, check out 'The Rake' if you haven't yet. That's a pretty good one, too. It's probably been mentioned in this thread, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 11 July 2012 - 10:09 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#1065    BeastieRunner

BeastieRunner

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

View Postharpinche, on 11 July 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

Here you go:

The Slender Man is a constructed myth created at the Something Awful Forums in a thread entitled "Create Paranormal Images" in 2009. It has since transcended into a meme of sorts.

View PostTokemus, on 04 July 2009 - 06:15 PM, said:

Slender Man just recently appeared on the net. For those of you that haven't heard of it, the whole thing started on somethingawful forums (http://forums.someth...3#post361861415 Slender Man starts on Victor Surge's post and continues on to the last page) and has grabbed the attention of numerous people. Just last month this man (http://www.youtube.c...r/MarbleHornets) posted a mini-series of Slender Man. Even though they're made by an amateur, they catch that creepy feeling that Slender Man offers. The whole thing seems to prey on your primordial fears. The very embodiment of what terrified you as a child, yet seemingly so normal it almost seems like it could be real. Read the entire thread in the somethingawful link, watch the videos by MH, and discuss. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we've found the next big thing in horror.

From http://marblehornets...om/slender-man:

'The Slender Man was the nickname given to a mysterious character seen in the background of several pictures in a SomethingAwful thread. The posts themselves were centered around children, and a certain man with a slender figure in the background of several pictures, sometimes appearing to have long, spindly, tentacle-like extraneous appendages.

The Slender Man was discovered at the Something Awful Forums in a thread centered around photos from a singular fire which killed many children in the 1980s. He is described as wearing a black suit and black hat and as the name suggests, appears very thin and able to stretch his limbs and torso to inhuman lengths in order to induce fear and ensnare his prey. Once his arms are outstretched, his victims are put into something of a hypnotized state, where they are utterly helpless to stop themselves from walking into them.

Whether he absorbs, kills, or mearly takes his victims to an undiclosed location or dimension is also unknown as there are never any bodys or evidence left behind in his wake to deduce a definite conclusion. Not much is known at this time, but his objective and habitat are fairly clearly agreed-upon. He has the need to kidnap children, and is seen right before the disappearance of a child or multiple children. He seems to prefer fog enshrouded streets and wooded areas as a way to conceal himself from being noticed. It should also be noted that children have been able to see him when no other adults in the vicinity could, though adults have also been known to see him at times. Children also have dreams or nightmares concerning The Slender Man before their disappearance. A disputed concept regarding the Slender Man is whether or not he can be seen by those other than his victims—many believe that if you see Slender Man then you are a target or prey, though there is no certain proof of this.

Even though The Slender Man is fairly new in the media, people have already claimed sightings. He appears mostly at night, and most always peering out of wooded areas or near rivers. He has also been reported to peek inside left open windows and to walk out in front of lone motorists on long uninhabited roads. The Slender Man or men, have appeared everywhere from Japan, Norway, and America to name a growing few. He's even made it on Coast to Coast.

There has also been talk that Slender Man is a tulpa. A tulpa is a thoughtform, or being created from the collective thoughts of separate individuals. This comes from the belief in Tibetan Buddhism and Bon that a "being" may be created by a 'psychospiritual' complex of mind, energy or consciousness manifested either consciously or unconsciously, by a sentient being or in concert (wikipedia). Basically, the belief is that Slender Man is a manifestation of mental energy according this theory.

Another theory states that Slender Man is a physical being, not a thoughtform, whose existence and powers are in part reliant on physics and understood science. Since this explanation seeks a physical explanation and not a pseudo-scientific explanation, advocates of this "Quantum Theory" often believe that The Slender Man is a trans-dimensional or perhaps even a fourth dimensional being, capable of moving freely through space-time. Other versions suggest that the Slender Man is a Schrodinger's Cat of sorts, capable of both existing and not existing anywhere in space-time, and choosing to exist where needed.

A third theory asserts that the game creators (which I'll be touching on later) created the tulpa to exist in-game. This is called "Core Theory" and is constantly being tweaked over at Slender Nation. You can read more about it here.

Marble Hornets is an Alternate Reality Game (ARG) based upon the Slender Man mythos. It was the first Slender Man ARG to be created, and set the trend for those that followed, as well as bringing Slender Man to a wider audience. From Slender Man wiki:

MH gains its name from Alex's film project, Marble Hornets. The early entries in the series are clips from the filming tapes used in creating the Marble Hornets film. Alex ended the project due to seeing Slenderman (known in MH as The Operator) frequently, and handed the tapes over to his friend and MH narrator Jay. Alex told Jay to burn the tapes, but, being a good friend, Jay did not and instead posted them on Youtube. Alex disappeared afterwards.

Early entries consisted of tapes from the Marble Hornets film and of those taken by Alex who obsessively recorded himself in order to capture Slenderman stalking him. Eventually, the entries turn to videos taken by Jay, catalouging his efforts to discover Alex's whereabouts and unravel the mystery surrounding The Operator.  Over time, Jay follows leads to old buildings, former homes, etc, but generally finds little to nothing.

He begins to encounter two figures- Masky, the video series' Proxy, and The Operator itself, who seemingly work together to antagonize Jay and separate him from Alex. Jay continues into the mystery willingly placing himself in danger to find the problem.  Some videos recieve cryptic responses from a separate Youtube channel called totheark, which makes threats, predictions, and statements concerning the ongoings of the entries as they progress.

Link to get you started watching:
https://www.youtube....UI&feature=plcp

Twitter feed for when you catch up:
https://twitter.com/marblehornets

There are also other ARGs out there, here is a partial list of Vlogs:
EverymanHYBRID
TribeTwelve
The Andersen Journals

There are numerous blogs and tumblr's as well.

More links and information:
http://knowyourmeme....mes/slender-man (the best overview IMHO)
http://theslenderman...iki/Slender_Man
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/

Hope that helps!

Edited by BeastieRunner, 13 July 2012 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users