Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for Advice

lowester

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice.. We recently put a new home on a property that used to just be farm land.. there is no record of any other homes on the location.. There is me, my wife and my three girls 7, 4, and 1

We have been in the house now a little over a year and have had some really odd things happening.. My 7 year old has night terrors and has had them for a while so we are used to them.. but now they are a little different than at the old house.. Twice now she has pointed to the corner of her room saying "I don't like that, I don't like that".. She never remembers them in the morning.. but now she is.. She told me there was a young girl in a blue dress in her room.. So I asked her "what did her race look like".. she said her face was very blurry...

Ok, so I kind of wrote this off assuming its just a dream she is having.. Fast forward a few weeks later.. my 4 year old wakes up and comes and gets me.. I go over and lay with her trying to get her back to sleep.. she suddenly sits up and says "Where is Jossie (7 year old) going?".. I was upset thinking now I have get another kid back to sleep now.. I search the living room and kitchen and she is no where to be found.. I goto our 7 years olds bedroom and she is fast asleep.. again I kind of wrote this off too..

A month later.. its a Saturday morning.. I wake up and see what I thought was my 2 little girls coming out of their hallway and heading for the living room.. I get up and go check on them only to find just my one daughter is up.. I could have sworn I seen two kids walk by... I wrote this off too...

To save this from being a book, I'll skip a few other incidents and tell you about the 2 most recent.. My wife takes my 2 oldest to dance class and my mom watches our 1 year old til I get home at her house.. I came home and went straight over their house and stayed for about 2 hours.. brought our baby home and decided to give her a bath.. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the tub.. left and came back about five minutes later.. I was making her a bunch of bubbles and then turned off the tub.. Soon as I did that I could hear water blasting.. I turned just in time to see the sink was on full blast and the drain was pushed down.. I watched the water crest the bowl and spill all over the floor.. Immediately I shut it off and cleaned up everything..... I'm starting to worry a little because somehow the faucet got turned on full blast and the drain pushed in while I was in the bathroom.. My 1 year old can in no way shape or form reach it or get up on the sink..

The most recent is last night.. about 2 in the morning.. we have a tv outside of our bedroom.. It turned itself on and also raised the volume 100% in the middle of the night by itself.. I check the clicker and it was sitting on top the computer desk.. I'm sure these could all be coincidences but I thought I would purchase a spirit box.. which will be in Monday....

The advice I'm looking for is, Should I even attempt to use it.. I sense there is something in the house but I'm afraid more for my kids if I do attempt communication then things could get worse.. of is better to go on as usual and pretend these things are not occurring..

Appreciate the help and sorry for the length.. I could honestly write a short book on what's been going on

Interesting post. You obviously have something there, too many things have happened to pretend they are not occuring. You say your house was just farm land but something could easily have happened on that land in the past. Maybe a child died there or in the vicinity as a result of an accident, or by foul play. That should be fairly easy to find out. I feel cameras, with sound recording capability, would be a better solution if you want to pursue the matter and you coud position them in the areas you feel are the most affected. It would appear that this "ghost girl" wants to have some kind of contact with your daughters, maybe they are of a similar age.

From personal experience, the TV switching itself on and the tap turning on are a sign that the the spirit wants you to know she is there. Maybe if you acknowledge her presence she will be satisfied and leave you alone. I found that accepting what I had seemed to have the desired effect and things quietened down considerably.

I appreciate the response.... We do live close to a busy road.. I will have to do some investigating to see of any accidents that might have occurred... The cameras are another good advice and one I will be looking into.. I probably will give the spirit box a try.. Honestly the reason I purchased it was because my mom just passed at her home which we live next too.. it was sudden and unexpected and me, my brothers and dad are still trying to cope with it.. Thought maybe I would try it in the room she passed just to see if there is anything that might comfort us a little bit.. about 7 years ago my wife and I rented a very old house after college.. it was supposed to haunted by woman.. we had many incidents with tvs and footsteps in that house.. We then bought our first home after 3 years there.. we lived in the new home for 7 years and did not have a single thing happen.. Now in the new house we just built last year we are having all these strange things again.... Life is strange..

First talk to the kids doctor about the nightmares.

Second call the plumber, washers may need to be replaced.

Third someone could have been playing with the remote and set a wake up alarm. What kind of tv is it? I just checked my Samsung and you can set an alarm to come on at a desired time (if don't change the time it'll come on at 12 am.) at a desired volume.

And lastly, don't waste your money on a spirit box.

• Like 2

I'd agree about the spirit box. It may seen awesome on TV, but they are (IMO) trying to make something out of nothing for ratings/excitement. I'd try a straight digital recorder with no noise contamination instead

I just wanted to add this...

You could have dreamt that you saw both girls. One night when my daughter was little she was sleeping with me. I woke up at about 5 in the morning and remember talking to her. Later that morning I mentioned our conversation and she said she never woke up. So it was a dream.

Same goes for your little girl asking where her sister was going, she could have been in that weird state between fully awake and asleep.

• Like 2

Instead of a spirit box, invest in a CCTV system.

As for kids seeing things, my 4 year old saw a pink pig in his bed at 1am this morning.

• Like 2

I'd agree about the spirit box. It may seen awesome on TV, but they are (IMO) trying to make something out of nothing for ratings/excitement. I'd try a straight digital recorder with no noise contamination instead

I cant say I disagree with you at all.. I'm skeptical about it.. I don't think its a plumbing issue though.. its the only time its happened in the year we have been there.. The TV is a Vizio 46"... We only have the direct TV remote.. lost the actual TV remote years ago... I don't believe you can access the TV settings with the Directv remote.. you have to do that directly from the side of the TV with the controls.. who knows.. my girls are bright.. I guess I cant rule it out unless I goto the settings and see whats there.. will do that tonight

any you would recommend? seems like there are tons of these

As for kids seeing things, my 4 year old saw a pink pig in his bed at 1am this morning.

that's creepy! :cry:

Gathering all the strange and odd things you mentioned that happened, there maybe is a spirit in your home. I wouldn't bother with ghost boxes, as another member advised they do add a lot of noise. I recommend either a digital or analogue recorder, with a good quality external microphone. I would advice not to directly communicate with the spirit, and please don't think the spirit is actually of a girl, as entities can manifest to imitate any human being for acceptance.

Far as recorders, I use an Olympus, but that's not to say other brands are better or worse. I would advise getting one that has a connector to upload sound files to your PC. There you can edit and tweak the sound file (ALWAYS keep a file of the original!) There are many free programs out there to tweak the sound...noise reduction (use sparingly if at all), pitch, speed, volume on certain section etc. I use Audacity myself

Edited by Vlawde

A spirit box for what? Sorry there is nothing in your story which can not be explained in the real world. The whole project of building your own home, in a remote area and the moving into a new home, can all be reasons why your family are experiencing odd dreams....yes, dreams.

Sorry but I can not see where any kind of spirit or ghost would fit into your experiences.

Drop the spirit box idea, this will only take you in the wrong direction,

A new house will take time to settle, this is why it has taken a year. If you have wood in your house this will also be changing and can creating some wired noises, if you have not had them yet you will do (if there is lots of wood)

• Like 2

that's creepy! :cry:

It's not creepy, it's a child being a child, which you should understand being you have three. And your response makes me think that you don't want any rational answers, only answers that confirm what you really want to believe.

Seriously, get yourself some GoPro's and set them up... there will be no more "activity" in your home.

• Like 4

Seriously, if you truly feel something is amiss don't egg it on with ouija boards,ghost boxes etc. Because if something is there you want it gone. Cameras and maybe a digital voice recorder I would use at most,but be prepared because you may not like what you see/hear.

Without elaborating, my old house was definitely haunted. I used only a voice recorder and captured sounds/whispers I'd rather forget.Any pics I took had green/white streaks across every pic (35mm),but all my outside pics of the house came out clear on the same roll.

Get yourself a medium or two to check the place out. Good luck!

I would like to say set up a camera....but for what? It will show nothing as there are no ghosts or spirits, just a new house settling down. If anything, check the plumbing again and reassure your children there is nothing to worry about...they will grow out of it, like all other children do.

• Like 2

It's not creepy, it's a child being a child, which you should understand being you have three.

There were a few other things that he mentioned, in case you missed, or maybe forgot?, he didn't just went along with a child's possible imagination.

And your response makes me think that you don't want any rational answers, only answers that confirm what you really want to believe.

He told us that he is considering to buy a ghost box, and asked if we have any other suggestions. I assume to confirm in some way, if there is a spirit in his home.

Seriously, get yourself some GoPro's and set them up... there will be no more "activity" in your home.

So, once he will set up GoPro it will be GoGhost? in no time! :D

Here's the thing with kids...they have vivid imaginations. Sometimes the more questions you ask the more they embellish.

Your Direct TV remote probably is programmed to control the TV. Even if you don't know how to set a timer it doesn't mean a 2 year old didn't accidentally do it while pressing random buttons.

And if you search the net you'll see stories of faucets turning themselves on. Heck, it happened on the show Ghost Hunters once. They're plumbers and figured out it was a problem with the faucet.

You really need to rule out the naturally explainable first before you tack on a paranormal answer. I'd start logging the events along with time to see if there is a pattern. I'd refrain from recording anything immediately. There are kids involved and communication can be deemed just by recording by some. I've performed many investigations and frequently kids that are young have imaginary friends as a common denominator. It's part of child development and often manufactured when they are lonely. Electronics can be triggered by other unseen electronics. If you don't try to rule out the normality first you're just administering unnecessary stress.

• Like 1

It often shows in quotes, that some don't actually read OP's properly. And also comments are in such a manner, as in way one could consider they are just in general, so to speak.

There is a difference in direct, and indirect communication.

The differences are, If a person suspects his home to be inhabited with a spirit, and running a EVP session, without direct communication is perfectly acceptable, as it could be beneficial to find out if there is an actual spirit around. Those who invite spirits into their homes with either a Ouija board or rituals, would still be considered to be communicating with a spirit regardless of direct or indirect communication.

It is very true that young children often do create imaginary friends or people, especially when they are lonely a lot and don't have any brothers or sisters.

I don't think this is the case with here, because of two reasons. Lowester has three children, and they are all girls, there is no lonely child. And a young girl to create a kind of imaginary friend, and that imaginary friend is another girl. That child has two sisters already, there is no reason to create an imaginary girl!. Which doesn't make sense.

Whatever it ultimately is, or whatever your opinion on the paranormal, I'll second the warning AGAINST using Ouija boards. Mine is from the standpoint that people that RESORT to boards (not just use them for fun) almost always make things worse or cause anxiety and tension in their situation. Religious and spiritually minded people are more inclined to warn against them because of the whole "opens a doorway" thing, but I think the fact that people on both the believer and skeptic sides oppose bringing Ouija boards into the mix in situations like this, should speak volumes. I don't have any massively strong thoughts otherwise, besides don't jump to conclusions or make dramatic assumptions, but I urge you to drop the idea of using boards related to your goings-on.

It often shows in quotes, that some don't actually read OP's properly. And also comments are in such a manner, as in way one could consider they are just in general, so to speak.

The differences are, If a person suspects his home to be inhabited with a spirit, and running a EVP session, without direct communication is perfectly acceptable, as it could be beneficial to find out if there is an actual spirit around. Those who invite spirits into their homes with either a Ouija board or rituals, would still be considered to be communicating with a spirit regardless of direct or indirect communication.

It is very true that young children often do create imaginary friends or people, especially when they are lonely a lot and don't have any brothers or sisters.

I don't think this is the case with here, because of two reasons. Lowester has three children, and they are all girls, there is no lonely child. And a young girl to create a kind of imaginary friend, and that imaginary friend is another girl. That child has two sisters already, there is no reason to create an imaginary girl!. Which doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's an imaginary friend, I think it was a bad dream. Had my child had a dream like that I wouldn't ask her to describe what they looked like. I would calm her and tell her not to worry. The child has a history of night terrors so I think talking to her doctor would be wise. The nightmares could lead to sleepwalking which could be harmful to the child.

Calling the plumber is a smart thing to do because if there is a problem with the faucet they could come home to an unplanned indoor swimming pool.

Once you rule these things out and stuff continues to happen then they could go the paranormal route.

• Like 1

I would give some advice ( some already have, cctv cameras, plumbers, Doctor, etc. )...

Would I be wrong in saying you want a " ghost " to be there? ( spirit box )......If you already have it in your head you might have a " Ghost ", your seed is planted. It is up to you if you are going to let it grow, or dig it out.

Do some research on " ghosts " and such, but not on paranormal sites, or from TV shows. You will find that no one, especially any credible person or place, has, or can even come close to produce evidence these things even exist.

Look at all of the " Ghost " shows on TV, and all of the other " teams " out there looking. Not one piece of credible evidence at all. A couple Universities ( Duke and UCLA ) had put money into researching the " paranormal ", and after years of nothing to show for it, the funds were distinguished.

I am just trying to say, look at the reality of these things. The reality is, it is just in peoples heads, and imaginations. As for your child, talk to any counselor. Others here have posted this. Children have even more imagination then we do.

Hudds lets face it, that's speculation and not fact. Many people would argue with YOUR conclusion. There are plenty of recorded cases where activity has blossomed once EVP sessions have started. I once had a chance to talk to Sarah Estep on the phone who started AAEVP and she recorded frequently in her own house. A privilege I obtained working over at HV. She told me that her house was less than benign shortly after making contact. She captured over 20,000 EVP. Read her books, I have both of them. Everyone's mileage varies.

BTW- I've investigated 2 cases with multiple children that had been diagnosed as lonely by practioners. They lived in very large houses and both parents worked. How large? How about a $4,000 heating bill monthly during the winter. Again mileage varies maybe your case files are different to mine. All I know is, in this field there isn't one case that doesn't vary from the next. The only consistency in the field are the inconsistencies.

Edited by evp

Nope, sorry Hudds, but research contradicts what you are saying. Please click on the links below:

https://www.psycholo...aginary-friends

https://www.psycholo...y-in-your-house

Boys typically create imaginary boy friends (doesn't that blow your mind) and girls will create either. Girls and boys who are of many family sizes create imaginary friends... just because she has two other sisters doesn't mean she won't create an imaginary girl friend. And recent research has concluded that being lonely has nothing to do with this at all.

Edit to correct typo.

Edited by Aftermath

Nope, sorry Hudds, but research contradicts what you are saying. Please click on the links below:

https://www.psycholo...aginary-friends

https://www.psycholo...y-in-your-house

Boys typically create imaginary boy friends (doesn't that blow your mind) and girls will create either. Girls and boys who are of many family sizes create imaginary friends... just because she has two other sisters doesn't mean she won't create an imaginary girl friend. And recent research has concluded that being lonely has nothing to do with this at all.

I appreciate the links, and some of the information you provided. I didn't realise it was the opposite to what I originally thought.

There are other occurrences that lowester also mentioned, which do need to be taken into consideration. Otherwise if it was just about a child and a imaginary girl/friend, I would had completely put it down to a child's imagination only, as I usually would with such claims.

Edited by Hudds