Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Camping food...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,331 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

In the Boy  Scouts  we put a hunk of hamburger, some cut up carrots and potato and onion , salted and peppered, in a hunk of tinfoil and cooked them IN the fire ..  it was a good meal  to a bunch of hungry scouts in the fresh air!

Another scout favorite was pancakes , with brown sugar,  rolled around a breakfast sausage  ...  :tu:

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#32    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,548 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postlightly, on 25 September 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

In the Boy  Scouts  we put a hunk of hamburger, some cut up carrots and potato and onion , salted and peppered, in a hunk of tinfoil and cooked them IN the fire ..  it was a good meal  to a bunch of hungry scouts in the fresh air!

Another scout favorite was pancakes , with brown sugar,  rolled around a breakfast sausage  ...  :tu:

Mmmm, hobo packets. I've done veggie ones and chicken ones as well as burger ones. Doing apples in the fire is yummy too. Heh, I've even done those here at home a couple times when I've been doing fall burning- Kind of nice to make dinner and clean up the yard at the same time :)

#33    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,900 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

Beans , Beans, Beans, Beans Beans, ok so I like Beans so what.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#34    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,548 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 25 September 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Beans , Beans, Beans, Beans Beans, ok so I like Beans so what.

I love beans too. You can barely crack a can and leave it in embers to heat up- I would say don't crack but sometimes that can have explosive consequences when the fire is too hot. Fill a pot with dried beans and liquid and leave them in the ember ashes overnight and burble all day to yummy. Bring cold beans with you in a cooler in many forms. Use dehydrated beans for instant food- I mean cooked or canned and dried beans, not just dried beans. I dehydrate my own beans for future cooking use :) I've made my own instant 13 bean soup, refried beans, bean dip, and cheesy oniony bean goo filling for tortillas from dehydrated beans.

Nice part about eating beans while camping... You are outdoors so if you toot stinky, don't matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users