Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3 Reasons Why I Don't Buy Doomsday 2012

Your Favorite Ghostwriter

Three good reasons why I don’t buy the so-called Doomsday Predictions, featuring Nostradamus and the Mayan Calendar.

1./ Nostradamus hasn't said anything about the End of the World in 2012.

2./ The Mayan Calendar is a Calendar, not a Prophecy.

3./ nbsp;The World Has Already Ended X Times Before.

What worries me the most about these Doomsday Fear Scams, is that we tend to forget the real dangers and challenges the earth is facing as a result of, for instance, global warming or nuclear proliferation…

Full story here!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• WoIverine

• TheSearcher

• dishwaterjoe

2. The Mayans were great astronomers, they predicted many universal events and even amaze scientist of today about them getting it right considering they had no technology at all... The Mayans believe that 2012 is the begin of a new era... a change in consciousness... for the good or for the worst. I don't know from who you heard about that doomsday though...

Edited by Ichigo

And here's why I agree:

1: Even if he had given a specific date; he's been wrong several times before, and several historians seem to think Nostradamus was a crackpot anyway.

2: It's both. However, their "prophecy" for 2012 is not the end of the world; but rather, the end of an age. Which obviously means that 2012 is when I'm going to take over the world and make you all work in the Cinnamon Mines for the rest of your lives. Honestly guys, keep up.

3: Yeah. Remember the Y2K? Remember all the lulz that were had then? The world was supposed to end at least a few dozen times over the course of history, and yet... it hasn't happened yet.

About that Nostradamus guy. My history teacher says that people twist up what he says because his ideas were so brawd.

What worries me the most about these Doomsday Fear Scams, is that we tend to forget the real dangers and challenges the earth is facing as a result of, for instance, global warming or nuclear proliferation…

Global warming and nuclear proliferation ?

Pfffft... mere sideshows. The REALL disaster of 2012 will be the London Olympics. :P

Meow Purr :)

2. The Mayans were great astronomers, they predicted many universal events and even amaze scientist of today about them getting it right considering they had no technology at all... The Mayans believe that 2012 is the begin of a new era... a change in consciousness... for the good or for the worst. I don't know from who you heard about that doomsday though...

Erm, no it is just when their calender ends. It is just a cycle.

Global warming and nuclear proliferation ?

Pfffft... mere sideshows. The REALL disaster of 2012 will be the London Olympics. :P

Meow Purr :)

Yes, if London ends up looking a prat infront of the entire world then Doomsday won't be such a bad thing.

The first argument you make is great. You're saying you don't believe a forseen prophecy because a famous prophet you have more faith in did not make the prophecy. How's that a reason not to believe? So if Nostrodamus predicted the end of the world in 2012 you'd buy it?

The second argument. The Mayan calendar is a marvelous piece of precise mathematics. No, there is no 'end of the world' predicted by the Mayans or any other advanced ancient civilization. What they did though, was create their incredibly precise by the stars calendar to date many many years ahead of their own predicted collapse, all the way to the winter equinox of 2012. Why did they do that? There's the question. To **** with a future race? Perhaps they knew something. And perhaps it has something to do with the galactic alignment they foresaw thousands of years prior which is happening at the same time.

From there, it's anyone's guess really.

Last point, absolutely spot on. We humans are suckers for predicting our own global demise, I think it gives people a sense of importance, believing the end is in their time. Y2K was hilarious. A small media rumor spiraled out of control. I didn't even entertain the idea. But 2012, this is the first time in a long time humans have had something to focus on that connects us to our lost past. It's exciting, people lap it up.

We spend a lot of time getting gray hairs and ulsers in dread of 'stories', when we have real problems that there are real solutions to... we should all be involved in. It is a shield from life escaping us to the safe haven that we know we can do nothing about...putting the monkey on somebody else's shoulder.

regards,

seax B)

You just summed up my opinion of religion. Escapism. It's outta the individuals hands.

It's interesting to note that 2012 in itself has manifest in many people as a new religious following. Those who find the idea that something is going to happen that is out of their control pleasant are simply afraid to take control of their own lives. "Let God(or 2012) sort it out."

The first argument you make is great. You're saying you don't believe a forseen prophecy because a famous prophet you have more faith in did not make the prophecy. How's that a reason not to believe? So if Nostrodamus predicted the end of the world in 2012 you'd buy it?

Not really, cause no single event is "predicted" by Nostradamus - after something has happened, people have always found quatrains of Nostradamus that seem to predict something like that. I don't have any faith in the prophecies of Nostradamus, remember the 1999 craze (his only quatrain with a date + a seemingly apocalyptic prophecy).

I'm only saying that all those people who are stating that Nostradamus said something about Doomsday 2012 are wrong. They never come up with a quatrain... and Nostradamus himself has written in the preface to his centuries that he has predicted events until 3797... not 2012.

It is irrelevant who predicted it but we must un :sleepy: erstand the fact that only time can tell and I think i dont buy it on two reasons

1-Nostradamus was not so credible...

2-There was theories even before which yielded no results because no scientist knew what he really meant and so they saw it in versions they liked...

Thanks

B???

Umm.. B? Nostradamus has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with 2012. That's what we're discussing. ;) Read the thread or know something about the subject before posting yeah?

I'm only saying that all those people who are stating that Nostradamus said something about Doomsday 2012 are wrong.

And you'd be quite right. Although i'm sure Nostradamus scholars have scoured over his works many times since the first mention of an 'event' that may or may not occur in 2012, they have yet to find anything at all.

I suppose if every ancient culture or civilization or soothsayer or prophet had predicted an 'end time' around 2012, most peoples outlook would be a little different. I however, don't believe that Nostradamus ever predicted anything, and the same goes for all predictions. Bull.

But the Mayans did not make a prediction. They did not make a prophecy about our time. They never claimed a great shift or end time or anything at all. What they did do was map the cosmos from Earth, using incredibly accurate measurements we still don't even understand.

I can predict that later this evening I will be standing at the far end of my city, since I have to take the 95 bus there, which only follows one direction.

The Mayans predicted a great cosmic event in 2012, which we have verfied: Galactic Alignment. They decided to end their Calendar on this date. Why? My guess is they felt that the Alignment could have an effect on our solar system, as well as marking the movement of Earth into a new 'age', the age of Aquarius. What does it really mean for us?

Probably nada.

Maybe we will see the second coming of the "doomsday bug" since his 2000 tour was such a fizzle.

Y2k was nothing more than media hype. No one who actually knew something about the technology that was supposed to crash actually thought planes were going to drop out of the sky because '2000' wasn't built into their internal clocks. How incredibly absurd.

I find it truly frightening sometimes the gullibility of the western culture.

Yes, if London ends up looking a prat infront of the entire world then Doomsday won't be such a bad thing.

Ah no, because whoever the pry minister is by then (I'm assuming Cameron) will of course assume all the credit for it, and so, consequently, if Lodnon ends up looking a prat in front of the eyes of the world, then bang'll go his credibility. And with New Labour's credibility already down the plughole, that'll be both of 'em utterly defeated and demoralised. Which can only be good news.

I don't buy the whole 2012 think either. I believe it's a beginning to a new era. I also read that there is supposed to be some sort of alignment, that will not effect us...yet, but it's "supposed" to shift our north and south poles. I got that information from a youtube video called "2012 debunked". There is a lot of useful information in that video, you all should watch it. :yes:

Yeah, I know what it was. I find it truly frightening that so many lack a sense of humor. By the way the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary.

Yeah, I know what it was. I find it truly frightening that so many lack a sense of humor. By the way the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary.

Sorry, not gonna fall for it.

Wish I had everyone's skepticism concerning this 2012 thing. I'm 30ish, and I've already lived through a few of these doomsday scenario/prophecy things. However, this time around things feel a little different to me. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but...I don't know, things just seem a little off in terms of everyday life, something just doesn't seem right. Of course I could just be imagining all of it, but I just can't seem to shake this feeling that something bad is coming and that there's not going to be much anybody can do about it. Anybody else have similar concerns?

Edited by SpiderCyde

The only plausible Doomsday 2012 theory has to do with "planet x", the giant object orbiting our sun with an extreme elliptical orbit. Following it's current orbit, it will come very close to the Earth by 2012. Based on what "planet x" turns out to be and it's position when it passes the earth/sun, will determine how much destruction we will see. It could have trailing debris or even several moons. This is the only doomsday theory supported by evidence.

The only plausible Doomsday 2012 theory has to do with "planet x", the giant object orbiting our sun with an extreme elliptical orbit. Following it's current orbit, it will come very close to the Earth by 2012. Based on what "planet x" turns out to be and it's position when it passes the earth/sun, will determine how much destruction we will see. It could have trailing debris or even several moons. This is the only doomsday theory supported by evidence.

Could we have some evidence about planet X?

As far as I know, Planet "X" was the temporary name given to the then-unknown planet beyond Neptune that disturbed the orbits of Uranus and Neptune. Percival Lowell calculated the rough location of Planet "X's" orbit, but died in 1916 before it was found. This planet was eventually found by C. Tombaugh in 1930 and named Pluto). In 2006, Pluto's status was changed to "dwarf planet."

Planet "X" is also the name given to any as-yet-undiscovered tenth planet. In 2005, a large object beyond Pluto was observedin the Kuiper-belt. The 2005 article from Nasa. Sorry but nobody mentions an excentric orbit for this object either.

The only other theory, and I stress the word theory, would be Nemesis, which is a hypothetical companion dark star to our Sun. Once every 30 million years, this dark star would pass through the Oort cloud, triggering comets that perhaps cause periodic mass extinctions on Earth.

Could we have some evidence about planet X?

You mean like actual tangible evidence? Probably not, if there was a large planet close enough to strike the Earth in 2012 we'd already be seeing its affects. Basically, a large body simply can't *sneak up* on us without causing some pretty obvious ramifications to the entire solar system.

2012 is a case of too many people assigning too much significance to what is likely to be nothing more than an arbitrary date, at least in this case we'll know for sure one way or the other once the year has come and gone.