Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

3 Reasons Why I Don't Buy Doomsday 2012

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,283 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

View PostRhungobains, on 10 October 2009 - 08:17 PM, said:

Yes, if London ends up looking a prat infront of the entire world then Doomsday won't be such a bad thing.
Ah no, because whoever the pry minister is by then (I'm assuming Cameron) will of course assume all the credit for it, and so, consequently, if Lodnon ends up looking a prat in front of the eyes of the world, then bang'll go his credibility. And with New Labour's credibility already down the plughole, that'll be both of 'em utterly defeated and demoralised. Which can only be good news.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#17    Battlestar Scralatchtica

Battlestar Scralatchtica

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• So Epic

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

I don't buy the whole 2012 think either.  I believe it's a beginning to a new era.  I also read that there is supposed to be some sort of alignment, that will not effect us...yet, but it's "supposed" to shift our north and south poles.  I got that information from a youtube video called "2012 debunked".  There is a lot of useful information in that video, you all should watch it.  :yes:

FACT: Twilight is for preteens and fat goth chicks that shop at Hot Topic

#18    dishwaterjoe

dishwaterjoe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• The profundity of some ideas is negated by the ideology of the profound.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, I know what it was. I find it truly frightening that so many lack a sense of humor. By the way the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary.

As long as it is funny, it's OK.

#19    drpaxton

drpaxton

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

View Postdishwaterjoe, on 11 October 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

Yeah, I know what it was. I find it truly frightening that so many lack a sense of humor. By the way the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary.

Sorry, not gonna fall for it.

#20    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,710 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:09 AM

Wish I had everyone's skepticism concerning this 2012 thing. I'm 30ish, and I've already lived through a few of these doomsday scenario/prophecy things. However, this time around things feel a little different to me. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but...I don't know, things just seem a little off in terms of everyday life, something just doesn't seem right. Of course I could just be imagining all of it, but I just can't seem to shake this feeling that something bad is coming and that there's not going to be much anybody can do about it. Anybody else have similar concerns?

Edited by SpiderCyde, 12 October 2009 - 03:15 AM.

#21    SirRedeye

SirRedeye

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Play Wolfenstein E.T. now!

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:15 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn...cience-science/

:P

#22    sub_x0ne

sub_x0ne

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

• Forced fed society.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:25 AM

The only plausible Doomsday 2012 theory has to do with "planet x", the giant object orbiting our sun with an extreme elliptical orbit.  Following it's current orbit, it will come very close to the Earth by 2012.  Based on what "planet x" turns out to be and it's position when it passes the earth/sun, will determine how much destruction we will see.  It could have trailing debris or even several moons.  This is the only doomsday theory supported by evidence.

#23    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

View Postsub_x0ne, on 12 October 2009 - 03:25 AM, said:

The only plausible Doomsday 2012 theory has to do with "planet x", the giant object orbiting our sun with an extreme elliptical orbit.  Following it's current orbit, it will come very close to the Earth by 2012.  Based on what "planet x" turns out to be and it's position when it passes the earth/sun, will determine how much destruction we will see.  It could have trailing debris or even several moons.  This is the only doomsday theory supported by evidence.

Could we have some evidence about planet X?

As far as I know, Planet "X" was the temporary name given to the then-unknown planet beyond Neptune that disturbed the orbits of Uranus and Neptune. Percival Lowell calculated the rough location of Planet "X's" orbit, but died in 1916 before it was found. This planet was eventually found by C. Tombaugh in 1930 and named Pluto). In 2006, Pluto's status was changed to "dwarf planet."

Planet "X" is also the name given to any as-yet-undiscovered tenth planet. In 2005, a large object beyond Pluto was observedin the Kuiper-belt. The 2005 article from Nasa. Sorry but nobody mentions an excentric orbit for this object either.

The only other theory, and I stress the word theory, would be Nemesis, which is a hypothetical companion dark star to our Sun. Once every 30 million years, this dark star would pass through the Oort cloud, triggering comets that perhaps cause periodic mass extinctions on Earth.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#24    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,230 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 12 October 2009 - 11:07 AM, said:

Could we have some evidence about planet X?

You mean like actual tangible evidence? Probably not, if there was a large planet close enough to strike the Earth in 2012 we'd already be seeing its affects. Basically, a large body simply can't *sneak up* on us without causing some pretty obvious ramifications to the entire solar system.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#25    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,818 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

2012 is a case of too many people assigning too much significance to what is likely to be nothing more than an arbitrary date, at least in this case we'll know for sure one way or the other once the year has come and gone.

#26    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,283 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

I think Zacharia Sitchin and L. Ron Hubbard could be taught in Media Studies classes as object lessons in how you can never over-estimate the gullibility of the public.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#27    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,710 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about it, s'all. Any of you ever get that feeling, like something bad is about to happen (in different situations, not the 2012 thing) right before it does? Kind of like a cop's gut instincts, etc. Thats kind of what I've got going on when I think about it.

Edited by SpiderCyde, 12 October 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#28    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

View PostLilly, on 12 October 2009 - 11:55 AM, said:

You mean like actual tangible evidence? Probably not, if there was a large planet close enough to strike the Earth in 2012 we'd already be seeing its affects. Basically, a large body simply can't *sneak up* on us without causing some pretty obvious ramifications to the entire solar system.

See, I know this and I prove so as well, by link and reference. But for once I would like to have any of the 2012 posse, present some kind of evidence to the matter, just once.

View PostSaru, on 12 October 2009 - 03:39 PM, said:

2012 is a case of too many people assigning too much significance to what is likely to be nothing more than an arbitrary date, at least in this case we'll know for sure one way or the other once the year has come and gone.

Well said and what most of us think.

View PostSpiderCyde, on 12 October 2009 - 07:19 PM, said:

I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about it, s'all. Any of you ever get that feeling, like something bad is about to happen (in different situations, not the 2012 thing) right before it does? Kind of like a cop's gut instincts, etc. Thats kind of what I've got going on when I think about it.

So there is nothing tangible whatsoever? Don't get me wrong, I tend to listen to my gut feelings as well, saved my butt from being kicked a few times, this said, when it comes to 2012, sorry, but no, a gut feeling just aint good enough.

Edited by TheSearcher, 13 October 2009 - 06:54 AM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#29    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,710 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 13 October 2009 - 06:54 AM, said:

So there is nothing tangible whatsoever? Don't get me wrong, I tend to listen to my gut feelings as well, saved my butt from being kicked a few times, this said, when it comes to 2012, sorry, but no, a gut feeling just aint good enough.

For everyone's sakes, I hope you are right.

#30    Triplecena1

Triplecena1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

View PostSpiderCyde, on 13 October 2009 - 03:34 PM, said:

For everyone's sakes, I hope you are right.
I know im new here and all, but GIVE ME A BREAK WITH 2012!!! look ok i've done extensive research on 2012 and the only PLOSIBLE theroes are nuclear warfare (cause almost half of us are retarded killers), meteors, and polar shifting. Now i know i sound really cruel, but COME ON even these are disintergrated. 1. (nuclear warfare) someone has to be alive to throw the last nuke so someone will survive. 2. (meteors) Im pretty sure NASA would tell us meteors are comin' (either that or they wouldn't want us to panic.) 3.(polar shifting) This wouldn't nessecaraly destroy earth, just damage it, and we are overdue. and just because the aztec calender ends on 12/21/12 doesnt mean its the end of EVERYTHING! it only means that its the beginning of a new era. So really what im getting at is that The earth might get destroyed, and it might not. Dont panic over it, im pretty sure we'll live to see hover cars and robotic human and all that jazz. And like they have said There have been MANY apocolypse theroes AND NONE OF THEM HAPPENED!!! So in the end we either embrace the end or get drpressed and say "im to young to die" cause NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users