Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question

Master Oku

Hey, two people in the waiting room of the docters office were debating whether or not the dinosuars were mentiond in the bible. One says no the other says yes. Are the Dinos mentioned in the bible?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashley-Star*Child

• hyperactive

• draconic chronicler

• mako

They are. And all through Enoch and the Dead Sea Scrolls too.

No they are not, a lot of people try to make out that Levithan is a dino, but that is just wishful thinking on the part of Creationists. Just like the divinity of the Book of Job, the "Dinos in the Bible" question evaporates in the light of enquiry. yes.gif

Jumping the gun there aren't we? Who said a word about a Levithian? Uh uh, try again.

I have not now, nor ever used the Leviathian as an arguement for dinosaurs in the Bible. Dragons maybe, dinosaurs, no. Wrong person, or very bad assumption.

How about sharing some passages that specifically mention dinosaurs in the Bible instead of bickering?

I'm sure there are no cut-and-dry dinosaur passages.. "And so Moses rode the Brachiosaur into Egypt.."

I would like to see a passage from the bible mentioning dinosaurs or something leaning towards dinosaurs even. As for leviathan being a dinosaur, thats just absurd no.gif

I thought it was the triceritops? tongue.gif

I think you were right about the leviaton Mako. That may have been a dinosaur to them. But it breathed fire. yes.gif

Since 'dinosaur' is a modern word, and didn't exist in any of the ancient laguages in which the Bible was written, then obviously there is no mention of dinosaur per se.

However, some people will argue that certain other words should - or could - be translated as 'dinosaur'. But in no case is 'dinosaur' the only possible interpretation.

Isn't Leviathan an underwater creature? Like a whale (the most common understanding of Leviathan).

Anyway, I don't think dinosaurs are specifically mentioned though. In the scheme of things, they aren't really that important to the themes of the Bible.

Regards, PA

In the scheme of things, they aren't really that important to the themes of the Bible.

Regards, PA

816064[/snapback]

You mean God never spoke unto Josiah and said "Lo! Because I have caused the dinosaurs to become extinct 65 million years ago, so shall Judah rule the land that I promised unto Moses"? tongue.gif

Ah but to the Creationists, they are very important! If they leave them out of their little story, people will laugh at them, so they have to explain why there are no longer any dinosaurs. That is the only reason some Christians even mention them. Otherwise, the normal average Christian reacts to dinos in the same way as any other person. Usually with the same enthusiasm as that little boy in Jurrasic Park 1. yes.gif

Edited by mako

great link Beast. thumbsup.gif

thank ya, its a cool site for all kinda questions about Christianty grin2.gif

one of the men said and I quote "After the time of the great beasts." I thought of dinos when he said that... but then I thought it was just refering to the giant Wooly Mammoth and other beasts of that time. So could they be talking about the gaint mammals or the dinosuars?

That site was very skewed (of course it was... everyone is prone to supporting their own theory).

The Tannyin thing was a perfect example of people picking a translation that best suits their needs. Anywhere from dinosaur to just really big animal.

Here, for example, is a picture of the type of cedar tree that grew in the middle eastern area when the bible was written:

Pic of a Cedar Tree

It looks very much like "a tail like a cedar" could be implying a long thin drooping tail with a tufts on the end -- check out the branches of the tree. That sounds like an elephant.

It is interesting to think of the possibilities. I just think it odd that anyone would use a site like that for PROOF of dinosaurs walking around with man.

Forgive my ignorance here.....

But are we saying that certain people who believe in creation DONT believe in dinosaurs?

I know MANY people who believe in creation who also believe in dinosaurs. Now, WHEN they think they were around I dont know.

Truthfully, I dont know what I believe. I never really even liked dinosaurs until I had a little boy who became obsessed with them! Now I know more than I ever WANTED to know. LOL! And from what I have learned from a little boy, I have to say that I DO believe they lived. And I cant really believe that they lived while man did because I cant believe that the human race would still be around if they did. LOL!

But dinos are one of the things that I just accept that I will never know the real answers on and leave it at that. tongue.gif

Looked at the site, here is what's wrong with their findings:

It “eats grass like an ox.”

Brachiosaurus would not be able to eat grass, with his long neck, he would be like a giraffe trying to get a drink of water. He ate the leaves off of trees. An Elephant or a Mammoth, however, could and did eat grass, shrubs, small trees etc.

It “moves his tail like a cedar.” (In Hebrew, this literally reads, “he lets hang his tail like a cedar.”)

Seeing as how dinosaurs were not tail draggers as fiction portrays them. The tail was carried, not drug and like Purplos pointed out not tasseled as is an Elephant or Mammoth.

Its “bones are like beams of bronze,

That would describe any large land creature

His ribs like bars of iron.”

Again, any large land animal

“He is the first of the ways of God.”

at the time the bible was written (560 BCE) there was nothing larger than the Elephant

“He lies under the lotus trees,

Sorry, lotus’ are aquatic plants not trees

In a covert of reeds and marsh.”

Elephants are known to love mud and water, using it to keep cool.

As for levithan:

Sounds like a dragon, no reptile (which incidentally dinosaurs were not) can breathe fire. Reptiles are cold-blooded, Dinos are warm-blooded like their descendant, birds yes.gif

I'm sure there are no cut-and-dry dinosaur passages.. "And so Moses rode the Brachiosaur into Egypt.."

816004[/snapback]

laugh.gif Ha ha ha ha.... That is my new favorite UM quote.

And as for the topic--- If enormous, ferocious, often flesh-eating reptiles roamed the land amongst these people, don't you think there would be a few more references to them besides some poetically veiled descriptions in one book? As it is, all the dangerous creatures of that land are mentioned throughout the Bible.

Dinosaurs wwere extinct by the time of Moses. And they did not happily co-exist with man, they turned the Earth into a bloodbath eating and I quote 'birds, reptiles, animals, and humans'. They devoured all flesh, and were NOT an originally created animal, but the hybridization of 200 of every originally created animal.

They became extinct - in order of events - with several astroid hits into the ocean (there is evidence of this, IN THE OCEAN causing dinosaur extinction) - several tsumanis - global climatic changes - a flood and an Ice Age. They had to go. Why weren't they on the Ark? Because they were for the most part, the REASON FOR THE FLOOD. No Brachiosaurus rides there darling, people were dying en masse.

Then why isn't this mentioned anywhere else but in the book of Enoch?

As someone stated earlier, if these beasts roamed the Earth while Man did, it would have been mentioned a little bit more often, no?

good journey

It is, in Genesis, in the same passagee as the Sons of God and the daughters of men 'and there were giants in those days'. Genesis ISN'T the first book of the Bible, it came from Jubilees given to Moses. Jubilees talks of Enoch and his book, Genesis is just the parts they took out they felt like keeping. Enoch lived before Moses, so in chronological order that makes sense. I.E. Enoch predates Jubilees which is really Genesis. The account of creation given in Genesis/Jubilees is a second account given by an angel to Moses, the first was given by God directly to Enoch.

And, the dinosaurs were dead and gone by Moses time.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child