Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time Travel Question

LucidElement

Hey guys I have a quick question. Im watching the movie looper and it made me realize something. If there is an older you in real life, and a younger you in real life... how does that happen? Is it like a parellel universe that has two of you? I just dont understand, if you are ONE PERSON, (which we all are) how is it possible to grow older in life, yet be younger in life at the same time. Just so confused. Hope you all understand what im saying...

For example, im 27... so say their is a 70 year old me somewhere in the future... How did that happen?? Why am is 27 and also their would be a 70 year old version of me? How did or would that happen?

It is a MOVIE!.. and sometimes.. movie do not make sense. I have not seen the movie in question so i can't really answer. I am just trying to get another star under my name and though it would post somthing that might make someone laugh or smile at least.

Edit.. i now have two stars.. i am moving up in this world.. errr forum!

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 1

Same for me, I haven't seen the movie yet. Just remember different movies that comes out about time travel, depicts the essence of time in a different way. I'm not saying time travel is not possible, as Einstein have said, it is possible to travel to the future, all you need to be is around a big massive object and time would slow down for you. So lets say you somehow manage to get a spaceship to fly around a big black hole in the universe, time would slow down for you, and for everyone else it would remain the same. You would age at a very slow rate. So in essence you would travel to the future that way. Time is different for everyone.

May I suggest, considering it like this....

The ocean, the waves upon the ocean..... Now, as you know, the waves don't all come in at once.

Neither do you. Your 70 year old, your 2 year old or your 27 year old. They all have a place amidst the ocean still but part of the whole.

So too with you,

You are the ocean, you are the wave/waves, yet you are still part of the ocean.

increments, waves upon the ocean of you.

Or another way is this,

Consider a tree,

We know the basic blue print, form and shape of any given species of tree. How it will look, given certain previsions, upon its well being, the right amount of air, water, food, protection, the right kind of environment and climate.

We except that in part some aspects are/is, predetermined but not all.

How/if, the tree gets to maturity is the journey and unfolding of the tree. The 2 year old, the 27 year old and the 70 year old you.

Now, there is also the projection. Projections upon that life, yours, mine, the tree, or the ocean.

The blueprint envisioned if you will. Hidden but there all the same. As foundation to the life.

Now consider this, as I/you sit here/there, I can think.....Whatever, lets see.......The chair next to the fire place. I see it, I can and do envision myself in that chair, even though I am sat here. I can see myself sat in that other chair younger or older, in a moment.

This is called mental travel. We all do it. it's a natural type of time travel, dismissed and discounted but we all still do it. I can think of the hotel i stayed in 9 years ago in Los Angels, I can see myself walk through the halls. This is all mental travel, takes no time at all. yet i am sat right here, i am there also, but in that space and time.

Now, I can also do this with the instinct, emotion or astrally.

But ones perception of time is based in a linear realm of this so called reality, of the here and now. Ha!

Have I lost you are should I continue?

May be I have said too much already....Hmmmmmmm. I'll leave it there for now as I don't feel comfortable saying any more, just yet, at this point in time, Ha :innocent::whistle:

Edited by Blue Star

To me it is about current observable point. Imagine time and space as a huge web, "you" as the current you exists moves in the web between all the other 'you' that exist in the web. But you only 'feel like you' at the current observable point. All the others still exist in the web, but since you are not observing them, they don't really exist from your observable point (to you).

Hope that makes some sense.

• Like 1

[media]

[media]

Hey guys I have a quick question. Im watching the movie looper and it made me realize something. If there is an older you in real life, and a younger you in real life... how does that happen? Is it like a parellel universe that has two of you? I just dont understand, if you are ONE PERSON, (which we all are) how is it possible to grow older in life, yet be younger in life at the same time. Just so confused. Hope you all understand what im saying...

For example, im 27... so say their is a 70 year old me somewhere in the future... How did that happen?? Why am is 27 and also their would be a 70 year old version of me? How did or would that happen?

Consider the mind with the imagination to be the most powerful time travel machine ever invented. That what is real to your soul self is your imaginary adventures.

So how did or could any of this happen? My answer is with the power of your mind and your imagination.

John

To me it is about current observable point. Imagine time and space as a huge web, "you" as the current you exists moves in the web between all the other 'you' that exist in the web. But you only 'feel like you' at the current observable point. All the others still exist in the web, but since you are not observing them, they don't really exist from your observable point (to you).

I like this answer, and I'd like to add some more possibilities...

Time and space as a huge web encompassing ALL possible outcomes... already existing in an "eternal now" (if it was possible to see the whole web from the "outside"), including all possible 70 year old you's, in all their possible energy/mass configurations... and you are a point of observation within that web, making choices as to which timeline you are choosing to observe along within that web, and arriving 43 years from now at that observable point within the web...

• Like 1

There are two "web" scenarios that are possible.

Either your life is just a timeline (think FB?) where you can move in one time dimension (back and forth) and witness specific events in your life, which are then firmly determined, and nothing you can do to change timeline (or thing you do is already incorporated in future timeline).

Either your life is a growing web that starts with your birth and has on each decision junction possibility to go into two or more separate ways, so at the end of your life you have billions of different outcomes that are paralel, yet you usualy get to live only one outcome.

Rather than help to explain the confusion this movie brought you, I'd much rather share something that may or may not confuse you even more. :devil: Don't mind me.

Use this logic in the movie, "Looper." If you went back in time and murdered your grandfather, than he'd have never given birth to your father. But if your father never existed, neither would you. Now if you've never existed, who was the one who could have killed your grandfather? That's called the grandfather clause, and it ruins time-travel movies or stories for me because, it defeats the concept of changing events with time travel. Mind-blown? Mine was, but I'm an imbecile. :rofl:

think of yourself as a character in a book, you are on each page, a different age on each page. the pages turn as time progresses. If you were able to turn back some pages and see yourself at that earlier time, you wouldn't be on the older page. You couldn't be looking at more then one page at a time.

many think to travel in time and incounter yourself would distroy both of you, or make a black hole or something. But my theory is that time travel would be more of a sight seeing trip, in that you could veiw but not interact in any way.

I've seen the movie the OP mentioned.

Personally, I didn't like the movie, because it was just -too- much of an aporia for me to relate.

So, I'm not able to truly answer your thought-provoking question.

:unsure2:

It would make much more sense if you could actually travel back in time. If it was possible the past-and so history records and the present- would be crowded with time travellers; if for nothing else they came to out time in an attempt to stop us from doing something stupid. Plus, we all know time can be warped by gravity, having it move faster by comparison in one location than in another, hence you can go to a place of 'fast moving time' for a certain amount of time and then return to where you were in the 'future' while having aged less than you would if you have stayed there.

Plus, if time machines existed in any period of time, someone would have killed Hitler and there wouldn't be any world war two in history, its like terrorists and guns: they exist and they got 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I would conclude that space-time continuum eventually could be bended enough to enable travel in past. However it could only be done on observational level, that is, you couldn't change things in past, you could only observe transpired events like experiencing 3D film. That would be an awesome journey, and many riddles from our history would become answered. I wonder could one use astral projection to do exactly that? After all, is there a limit to power of mind?

It would make much more sense if you could actually travel back in time. If it was possible the past-and so history records and the present- would be crowded with time travellers; if for nothing else they came to out time in an attempt to stop us from doing something stupid. Plus, we all know time can be warped by gravity, having it move faster by comparison in one location than in another, hence you can go to a place of 'fast moving time' for a certain amount of time and then return to where you were in the 'future' while having aged less than you would if you have stayed there.

Plus, if time machines existed in any period of time, someone would have killed Hitler and there wouldn't be any world war two in history, its like terrorists and guns: they exist and they got 'em.

Actually, you are kind of right and kind of not. Exactly like everyone has been saying, time/space is like a series of frames in an eternal web, all possibilities exist as well as all moments in time. Living in the 3rd dimension means we travel through the frames progressively but never seeing all of it (look up 2D man in a 3D world video on Youtube to understand that concept).

The other thing funnily enough, is it's like Back to the Future in some ways (when Doc explains the alternate 1985 to Marty). If you go back into time, you will go to a moment that looks just like the one you knew but because you now exist in it, it's actually a parallel world. You can never enter a previous moment that happened because there were never two of you, you enter a parallel world that's ALMOST EXACTLY the same except this one has 'Past' you and 'Future' you in it.

SO.. someone did go back into time and kill Hitler but unfortunately it was in a parallel universe where that happened so our past in this one is never changed. This is how physics gets around the 'paradox' problem. There is no paradox if it's an alternative universe where that was always going to occur anyway. Remember every possibility (even seemingly paradoxical ones) exists in an infinite sea of universes. The observer creates reality for themselves.

I recommend The Wormhole series for anyone who wants to bend their mind in the realm of Quantum Physics :yes:

Edited by VvROMULUSvV

It's easy! Just ask that to the guy who made some posts in the forum, who allegedly is a time traveller. I'm sure he can point you to the right answer...

Edited by caussius