Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Defending Liberty - The 4th Amendment

Yamato

"Liberty - the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government - is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs too well as by those whose purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark."
—United States v. $124,570, 873 F.2d 1240, 1246 (9th Cir. 1989)

[media=]http://youtu.be/_4zYizaMmDo

• Like 7

I can't watch your video but all I can say is "Give a inch and they will take a yard." My grandfather said that to me many times when I was a child and there is truth to it.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 2

the second video hahahaha. im about to start carrying a camera with me lol

• Like 1

the second video hahahaha. im about to start carrying a camera with me lol

If your cell phone has a sim card ,you can buy a cell phone watch from China,on eBay .

Mine has a camera and video recorder .

It looks like a fancy watch,but you can make and get calls,and talk into it like you're Batman.

If you put your cell sim card into it ,its basically your phone.

I got it just to video tape cops messing w me ,without their knowledge .

If you try to do it w a phone right in front of them,they will try to stop you .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 4

If your cell phone has a sim card ,you can buy a cell phone watch from China,on eBay .

Mine has a camera and video recorder .

It looks like a fancy watch,but you can make and get calls,and talk into it like you're Batman.

If you put your cell sim card into it ,its basically your phone.

I got it just to video tape cops messing w me ,without their knowledge .

If you try to do it w a phone right in front of them,they will try to stop you .

Thanks for the advice! im going to look in to doing that.

I watched the second video and seems there is no right to legally search without consent based on what I saw. Its when you say yes is the problems start and don't have a camera to back you up. If they try to stop you then that's another violation as any damage they cause we be unrecorded.

No criminal activity no search. Criminal activity shouldn't be assumed. Nice job by video r.

Even though the guy in Indiana asserted his rights, they were run over by the authorities. He needs to buy a fence, but that will probably have to wait until after he hires an attorney to sue for trespass.

• Like 1

Even though the guy in Indiana asserted his rights, they were run over by the authorities. He needs to buy a fence, but that will probably have to wait until after he hires an attorney to sue for trespass.

I've seen that Indiana video before, I always wondered if he was successful with his lawsuit.

I'm curious to know if "Julie W" found anything? Either way, she and Deputy Cooper should lose their jobs. Was there a complaint filed? Did it ever go to court? What's the rest of the story here?

• Like 2

I've seen that Indiana video before, I always wondered if he was successful with his lawsuit.

No. He lost. The arguments about this case meander online about how his rights weren't violated, usually based on his lawsuit's failure in court, and in the more daring debates, some very creative interpretations on a plain reading of the 4th Amendment. Usually these seeming-experts in precedent law conveniently ignore the precedent law that has fleshed out the legal definitions of terms like "house" and "effects". The best argument I've heard to explain why his rights weren't violated is because his property met the "plain view" condition, where property in plain view outside the boundaries of one's property can be searched without warrant. Which itself, smacks against the spirit of the law, which requires probable cause just to get a warrant. Regardless, I hardly see how what Julie Wolfe wanted to search was in plain view when she needed to trespass deeply onto his property. As can be easily seen on the video, she also had to walk behind a structure in his yard to see what was behind it, and there's no way she could have seen that from the road. Babe Ruth makes a good point about erecting a fence because a fence would have erased all doubt. Having open air around our property has unfortunately become all it takes to create an equally gaping hole in our property rights.

• Like 2

The Books need to be redone. There a joke and Tyrranical. 4th Amendment is violated all the time. :gun:

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

All the circular arguments about this case aside, what is blatantly abusive is the failure of this woman to get a court order. Warrants aren't that big a deal to get. In sensitive cases where lives are believed at stake, arrest or search warrants can be issued in a matter of hours. Just like there are advocates of kooky foreign policy (like state-sanctioned torture or suspension of trial-by-jury rights) over the hypothetical "mushroom cloud" scenario, people unfortunately invent a kooky scenario custom-made for searching without a warrant too. Some people seem bound and determined to erode our liberty in this country; Osama bin Laden's toadies though they unwittingly are.

• Like 1

The Patriot Act doesn't bother me, but this stuff is BS. It p***es me to no end. His rights were violated. It's on camera. That is so blatantly obvious. I think that this Miss Wolfe should get reminders of that clip on a daily basis until she resigns. Buy ads on billboards in her neighborhood. These civil servants need to understand that there are consequences to violating the Constitution. That's the only way this is going to stop.

What would have happened if she got hurt traipsing around the guy's yard?

• Like 1

The Patriot Act doesn't bother me, but this stuff is BS. It p***es me to no end. His rights were violated. It's on camera. That is so blatantly obvious. I think that this Miss Wolfe should get reminders of that clip on a daily basis until she resigns. Buy ads on billboards in her neighborhood. These civil servants need to understand that there are consequences to violating the Constitution. That's the only way this is going to stop.

Theres more then one way :gun:

What would have happened if she got hurt traipsing around the guy's yard?

I think that sharing this story and discussing it all over the internet is far more important than whether Julie W. loses her job or not.

• Like 1

btw, "The Patriot Act" violates the Constitution. What a revolting, unpatriotic and anti-American piece of legislation.

• Like 2

He is right and they are wrong, but he needs to get a fence.

Just think, with all the drone surveillance aircraft up and coming, they can get rid of the Julie W types. :tu:

• Like 1

Nobody's mentioned anything about the scenario beginning at 10:26 of the video. What I find most disturbing is the cop looks just like Al Capone on 'Boardwalk Empire'. The man and woman defending their rights never ask the police officer whether they were being detained, or free to go. Repeatedly asking this question should free us if the cop can't verbally justify why he's detaining us. It's asking to escape the situation and will probably give the cop less opportunity to probe a citizen's defenses for weak spots.

Arresting Cooper for filming a few seconds involuntarily looked like a waste of taxpayer resources. I hope Cooper got some legal advice to consider taking civil action against the decision to haul him off. I wish I got Al Capone's name to duly give him some internet fame as well.

• Like 1

btw, "The Patriot Act" violates the Constitution. What a revolting, unpatriotic and anti-American piece of legislation.

Yeah, especially when you can't frisk a Muslim because that would be "profiling". What a load of c***. And what's wrong with profiling when it seems like about 99% of terrorist acts are committed by Muslims? Doesn't the FBI use profilers, anyway?

• Like 1

I think that sharing this story and discussing it all over the internet is far more important than whether Julie W. loses her job or not.

Words are cheap. If the government can pacify us so that we don't take action then they will let us talk all we want. Being aware is only half the battle.

• Like 1

Not really. Look, if someone is communicating with terrorists and enemies of this country, then *I* want to know what they are doing. This is that area where they are guilty until proven innocent. The thing is, if it's a random or causal contact then no big deal, that doesn't fall under the Patriot Act. Besides, if I'm talking to a terrorists, then I want that conversation recorded.

Yeah, especially when you can't frisk a Muslim because that would be "profiling". What a load of c***. And what's wrong with profiling when it seems like about 99% of terrorist acts are committed by Muslims? Doesn't the FBI use profilers, anyway?

This is not about race or ethnics.

Theres more then one way :gun:

Yes there is, but I don't want to see it come to that, but everything in me says that the last resort will be the only way and the final outcome. The Mayans were just off a couple of years. The Longer Obama stays President, just his presence as President will encourage more of the same. Do we need to heed the words of John Brown again?

In America there are only three things which you should say to a police officer. You need to provide your name, address, and date of birth but these can be found on any state issued drivers license.

1: I am going to remain silent. Do not self-incriminate yourself.

2: Am I free to go? Otherwise it is assumed you are staying of your own free will.

3: I do not consent to a search. You are protected by the constitution from illegal search and seizure.

Never open the door of your house to an officer, if they have a warrant they are coming in anyway.

Here are a few links from where I got this information.

http://pittsburghcopblock.org/945/how-to-effectively-deal-with-police-know-your-rights/

http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_data/government/law_enforcement_and_police/news.php?q=1332946487

http://www.ridelust.com/protect-your-rights-how-to-deal-with-the-police-if-you-get-pulled-over/

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/secrets.html

If anyone else could provide other links I would be grateful.

Uphold our American rights and make these words the only ones that Police hear from the public!