Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

End of the doctors surgery?

doctors surgery skype consultations appointments nhs

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,581 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Plans to replace face-to-face doctor's surgery appointments with treatment over the phone or via computer weblink will put lives at risk, ministers and campaigners have warned.

The new system of 'virtual clinics' favoured by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt could spell the end of traditional doctor's surgeries with appointments conducted on iPads and Skype, and test results delivered by text message.

The Sunday Express reported that NHS bosses are importing the idea from India and believe the changes would cut £2.9bn almost immediately, a good chunk of the £20bn the NHS must save to fill its funding gap.

http://www.dailymail...ve-NHS-3bn.html

Posted Image

#2    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Seems that the Health Secretary's name IS rhyming slang after all. This is the worst idea ever. Save money at the cost of lives.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,050 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Ah yes, more from the techno-evangelists; "We can do everything Online these days". Can they physically examine someone through the medium of the Net, then? How do they propose doing that? Are they proposing to be able to do reliable diagnoses and decide on the correct treatment based on people telling them over the Phone? Pillocks.
And the part of the population that usually tend to see doctors most often, tend to be the elderly; how many of them are familiar with iPads and Skype, and how many would be confident entrusting pesonal details to such devices? How do the Government propose ensuring confidentiality?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,613 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Finally the universities will have to teach "distance diagnosis".

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I don't think this is a good idea at all.  I think this may be the way of the future though in health care and it won't get any cheaper either, just shoddier health care.  The death toll from medical mistakes will rise too.  One hacker, one virus and everyone gets the wrong diagnosis or prescription.

The underlying cause for this is not enough doctors for our overpopulated world.  Maybe we should concentrate on making sure there are enough physicians to go around.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think all doctors should have to do bedpan duty for about a month so they will have more respect for those that work with them.

#7    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Despite not being a 'man of faith' I nevertheless am praying fervently for a massive heart attack when it's my time to shuffle off this mortal coil. No half-interested GP's, no slow starvation/dehydration on a 3rd World hospital ward - just a second's sharp flash of pain and my relatives saying "He was dead before he hit the floor"!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 25 November 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Plans to replace face-to-face doctor's surgery appointments with treatment over the phone or via computer weblink will put lives at risk, ministers and campaigners have warned.

The new system of 'virtual clinics' favoured by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt could spell the end of traditional doctor's surgeries with appointments conducted on iPads and Skype, and test results delivered by text message.

The Sunday Express reported that NHS bosses are importing the idea from India and believe the changes would cut £2.9bn almost immediately, a good chunk of the £20bn the NHS must save to fill its funding gap.

http://www.dailymail...ve-NHS-3bn.html
Importing it from India? but thats where we get a large % our doctors from anyway.
As it stands, if you go to the doctors today, they will be typing what you say into their computer and coming up with what the computer tells them, this we could have done ourselves at home, difference is, the doctor will then give you a prescription for some anti inflammatory tablets, no matter what the computer says you have.
How do i know this? because its what has happened to me.....and my husband, he went to the doctor about the excruciating pain in his foot, she gave him anti inflammatories, this carried on for 1 year, as it turned out, eventually he went to the hospital....he had 2 fractures in his foot.

if you really do have a serious problem and know that anti inflammatory tablets are not the answer, then go to your nearest hospital instead.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

I dont bother Doctors anymore , I dont trust them ,last time I went about Arthritis in the hand (pretty painfull)  about 4 yrs ago ,the Doc gave me a prescription for Paracetamol, I binned it in disgust, you can buy a packet for 20 pence.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

I dont bother Doctors anymore , I dont trust them ,last time I went about Arthritis in the hand (pretty painfull)  about 4 yrs ago ,the Doc gave me a prescription for Paracetamol, I binned it in disgust, you can buy a packet for 20 pence.
Notice how the brand changes, depending on which one the doctors are promoting for the pharmaceutical at that time?
its only when you get to the chemist, if they are any good, they will tell you, you can buy it cheaper if you buy a brand one from behind the counter, and theres not much difference in the products.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 25 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Notice how the brand changes, depending on which one the doctors are promoting for the pharmaceutical at that time?
its only when you get to the chemist, if they are any good, they will tell you, you can buy it cheaper if you buy a brand one from behind the counter, and theres not much difference in the products.
  I was advised by a reputable Chemist that Ibruprofen (anti-imflammatory pill) is definitely not good for you,as it can have nasty side effects like causing stomach wall bleeding,liver malfunction,although it also takes away pain.Aspirin is also not recommended.so He said Paracetamol is the least harmfull to your system.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 25 November 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

I was advised by a reputable Chemist that Ibruprofen (anti-imflammatory pill) is definitely not good for you,as it can have nasty side effects like causing stomach wall bleeding,liver malfunction,although it also takes away pain.Aspirin is also not recommended.so He said Paracetamol is the least harmfull to your system.
he was right, BUT its ok, cos now the doctor will prescribe you another tablet which will help deal with the stomach problems. I had it when i was given diclofenac. no doubt in time if they realise there are side effects not yet known of, they will prescribe you something else to deal with that.
At one time, my husband was on so many tablets, you could hear him rattle while he walked.

#13    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Seems like an impersonal, sterile and almost dehumanizing (without being overly dramatic) possibility where the context is concerned. The world seems to be going that way anyhow. It makes sense with replacing cashiers with self service machines in supermarkets (even though the job losses are damaging for society) but having a screen discuss your health or concerns is a worry. The concept would be totally different if you were talking to a friend or a loved one but this isn't a welcome idea imo.The evolution of tecnology for communication is a wonderful thing for the most part and extremely useful but there is the danger that it can take the emotion/human factor out of interactions in the future - not sure if that makes sense, kinda hard to explain! You may as well be talking to a medical robot or something (And I'm sure such things will be giving injections to kids in the not too distant future!).

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,964 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Some types of telemedicine are impressive and actually can save lives while lowering  costs.  An example is that a Radiologist sitting at home and looking at a high resolution monitor can diagnose abnormal images from anywhere in the world.  So the X ray, CT or MRI can be done in a small town with no Radiologist working there and still get a top notch diagnosis.  But to try a primary diagnosis in such a way seems almost insane.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#15    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Good Thinking and then,   i can see it now though.....   these things IN  the   PHARMACY .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users