Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Swords and Weaponry

PurpleStuart

The begining of this conversation can be found here

Blood Angel - it isn't the method of sharpening, but the method of construction that made the Katana such a superior weapon. The Folding of metal was a technique that the west never developed. This was due to the place of honour that swords had in Japan which there never was in the west. This allowed the craftsman who made the sword more time to make each one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• Blood Angel

• Homer

• BuhiBuhi-Kun

grin2.gif

unfortunatly light sabres don't look so good hung up on a wall! Anyway it would look out of place in my house as it has a mediaeval theme to it grin2.gif

I've never collected swords, or any type of weapons for that matter, but I've always been interested in Japanese weapons as I have studied fuedal Japan for years

Homer, I dunno if you've been following the conversation but my particuliar interest is in western mediaeval weaponry - swords in particular. My next purchase is going to be a Flameberge

post-49-1059960625.jpg

I have a few swords i have purchased and 2 have been given to me, they are just display ones you throw on your wall or they stand on a table in its own stand, some are kinda sharp most are dull, but they are good talking pieces, I also have a japanese samurai sword that belongs to some family over there, during WW2 my grandfather took it as a war booty, along with many other items, Apprently the Japanese goverment has requested anyone who has one to return it to the family to which it belongs, as it does hold enourmous family value, Before my grandmother gave it me, she recieved a few letters from the Australian dept of Int affairs asking if she possesed such an item and if so to contact them, she threw the letter away thou lol, and told me never to return it. Its a great sword thou, apprently is over 400 years old. But yer thats my weapon story, interesting thread thou thanks for starting it PS grin2.gif

I know absolutely nothing about swords and such however I have allways wanted to see a genuine Claymore up close just to see if I could lift it . I bet I could grin2.gif

PS, I have followed the conversation, but don't know enough about swords to be involved in the conversation original.gif

They're cool though cool.gif

I collect proof coins and uncut banknotes myself. I would collect swords but i have no where to put them.

here is a good site where you can buy them (based in Australia but they deliver worldwide) Swords and Armour

i've always wanted 3 machetes to juggle with grin2.gifgrin2.gif

i know someone who has a sword, more decorative than anything else but last year she brought it to school. sooooo kool. and another girl i know owns a dagger. seeing as my knowledge is very much lacking in this department, about the most i can say is they were very pretty indeed.

lol

PS: man that flamberge looks evil lol man thats a wicked sword kinda reminds me of turkish style daggers, but it looks rather impractical for a weapon considering the variations on the blade. laugh.gif

inspekta X: ho ho war booty, my grandfather served in burma i wished i got a original disgust.gif , but hey war booty is cool which ever way you look at it w00t.gif

i kinda love all of the japanese bladed weapons also some of their pike sort of things, the most bizarre one i have seen is a kind of pike with 4 " fingers" on the end and was thorned like a rose stalk apparently used to catch in the clothing for criminals blink.gif jus think if british bobbys use them now much more effective than a baton.

i'm also a big firearms fanatic ever since i saw a WW2 bren gun for sale in a window of a shop which is sadly no longer there.

The variated blade was believed to inflict more harm on an opponent. there are two different types of this sort of blade, but this is the prettier of the two - i'll post a picture of the other type of blade later. This type of two handed sword is actually far more practical than you would think. The troops who wielded these were normally crack german/swiss mercanaries used to break lines of pikemen who were usually the militia/levies and poorly trained, but far greater in numbers. the curve and lenght of the blade made it easier to lop the business end of the pikes off, so it was little more than a long stick, the hooks in front of the ricasso were used to catch and parry the shaft of the pikes and when in very close combat the ricasso is used as a hand hold to change the grip of the sword so it can be better used in close quarters.

Ah i can see the practical uses now, mercenaries.....what country used mercs, just out of curiosity?

ph34r.gifgunsmilie.gif

All european countries used mercenary companies during the mediaeval and earlier and later periods, i should imagine. i don't know this for certain but it's a pretty safe bet.

My boyfriend has a sword collection, whereas I have about 5 knives. My knives are nothing special though. Swords aren't something I've been able to afford yet, but that flamberge PurpleStuart is talking about is one of the first ones I want to get. From the first time I saw a picture of it I knew one day I'd have to have one. original.gif

I think the katana is the best weapon to have at your side... If you can't do it with a katana, then go buy a friggin' gun or something. Also, as a fencer, I like rapiers, but besides the tranche, they really aren't as useful as a katana.

I used to have a few knives, a switchblade, a couple bowie knives, a couple knives, I don't know what they're called, but the handle was perpendicular to the blade. I also had some brass knuckles. My mom made me get rid of the switchblade and the knucks, but I still have a couple of the bowie knives.

This is the other type of Flamberge blade style:

post-49-1060117648.jpg

And this is the rapier we have here:

post-49-1060117788.jpg

once i get my photo of my katana down to a suitable file size i'll let you see it if i ever get round to it lol.

ph34r.gifgunsmilie.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My newest Sword this is a member of the samurai sword family the smallest, its called a tanto

user posted image

Blood Angel - it isn't the method of sharpening, but the method of construction that made the Katana such a superior weapon.

i have a katana...well had a katana, and it broke, from hitting a very small piece of wood at a quite low velocity, but i love swords, and hope to collect many...

When I get out of this damn house and away from my parents, I'm going to buy a sword that's used by a ninja, take sword fighting martial arts classes, and become a modern day ninja.....no, I'm serious....laugh all you want. disgust.gif