Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French replace English buzz words with Gallic

Still Waters

The French are trying to erase English buzz words increasingly being used by their youngsters.

Instead they want to replace them with Gallic alternatives which are deemed ‘more appropriate’ to the language of literary giants like Gide and Moliere.

Top of the hit list is the word ‘buzz’ itself, which a panel of linguistic experts sitting in Paris see as particularly crude.

They have now announced the winners in a competition which asked university students to come up with a Gallic alternative, along with new words for ‘chat’, ‘talk’, ‘tuning’, and ‘newsletter’.

All are becoming particularly popular across the Channel as young people spend more and more time watching English and American TV programmes and films, and listening to ‘Anglo-Saxon’ pop music.

‘The French language is not loved enough by our compatriots, and especially not by our young compatriots’ said Alain Joyandet, France’s junior minister in charge of promoting his mother tongue.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amaterasu

• Black Red Devil

• ExpandMyMind

• Watchers

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm I can see that catching on! ..not!

hmm I can see that catching on! ..not!

LOL the french must get p***ed off though when they're watching american tv. i've watched a lot of it and french insults are EVERYWHERE. they must edit those bits.

i'm more interested to see the ever increasing anglo-saxon control over french media. quite worrying to be honest.

lmao fermer votre bouche garcon votre carte est marquée :w00t:

I think I'm going to start using eblabla over here in America to replace chat.

They really get paranoid about anything english infiltrating their society don't they? They must be still suffering the effects from the defeat at Waterloo.

A man askes his companion, "What's the most common French expression"?

His friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!"

:P