Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Stephen Fry: "only humans are homophobic"

stephen fry homophobic gay out4marriage

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#61    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 14 October 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

How does one turn away from a being they do not believe exists.. What is there to turn away from exactly?

If you are in complete darkness..how would you find yourself?   lol Who said  anyone will be in darkness ?
Religion clouds everything and this world would be a better place without it,as far as i am concerned,homosexuality is as normal as being heterosexual and who cares what the church thinks as they are irrelevent in the 21st century and are bigoted and out of touch..

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#62    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 October 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

Homosexuality is not wrong. It's biological.

That is debatable.

As humans we have minds capable of determining right from wrong in ways no other species can.

You can state sex in general is biological, but as humans we know that that alone does not make it acceptable for us to cheat on our significant others.

Getting rid of bodily waste by urinating or bowel movements is biological, yet it does not mean it is proper for us as humans to do these things anywhere we please in the same manner animals do.

Many animals have sexual altercations with their family members, yet again, this is not right for us as humans to do the same.

There are many examples of this.

Never said I was talking about you, buddy.

You should have been clearer with your remark. Whether you were referring directly to me or not, you certainly seemed to lump me in with the group you were commenting on.

And I will continue to mock and turn away from your imaginary god every chance I get. And I'll love doing it, too.

That won't get you far. You should let go of your hate.

#63    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

How does one turn away from a being they do not believe exists.. What is there to turn away from exactly?

Simply because a person does not believe in God does not mean He is not real. Being that He is real, you (in the general sense) are denying and turning away from Him by not recognizing his existance.

As for what you are turning away from, the answer to that is you are turning away from God's calling. At the moment I do not have the time to go into what all of that entails.

If you are in complete darkness..how would you find yourself?   lol  Who said  anyone will be in darkness ?

Turn to God and He will lead you out of darkness.

God also tells of those who live in darnkness to answer your second question. The thing is, many of those who live in this darkness do not realize they are doing so. This is the result of turning away from God to begin with.

#64    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 15 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

That is debatable.

As humans we have minds capable of determining right from wrong in ways no other species can.

You can state sex in general is biological, but as humans we know that that alone does not make it acceptable for us to cheat on our significant others.

Getting rid of bodily waste by urinating or bowel movements is biological, yet it does not mean it is proper for us as humans to do these things anywhere we please in the same manner animals do.

Many animals have sexual altercations with their family members, yet again, this is not right for us as humans to do the same.

There are many examples of this.

Culture defines what is and is not acceptable. Biology is not debatable.
Homosexuality cannot be right or wrong anymore than heterosexuality is.

You should have been clearer with your remark. Whether you were referring directly to me or not, you certainly seemed to lump me in with the group you were commenting on.

If the shoe fits...

That won't get you far. You should let go of your hate.

I don't have any hate to let go of. In fact, I see nothing hateful in what I said.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#65    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 15 October 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Simply because a person does not believe in God does not mean He is not real.

Simply because a person believes in god does not mean he is real.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#66    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 15 October 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Simply because a person does not believe in God does not mean He is not real.

If you do not believe in any god... then you will not think you have turned away from god.. in your mind, there is nothing there to turn away from.

As for what you are turning away from, the answer to that is you are turning away from God's calling.   

If I believed and followed  a god that was not the same as your god, and  I claimed it was your god.. You will not hold belief's in my god..in your mind, my god does not exist for you.. Does it mean you have turned away from my god too?  

Turn to God and He will lead you out of darkness.   

But ......I am not in darkness..  Well accept at night, that's a given  lol

The thing is, many of those who live in this darkness do not realize they are doing so. This is the result of turning away from God to begin with.

Hang on... -  Those who do not hold belief's in the god you chose...live in darkness . but..because they turned away from a being they don't believe exists  ( which to them is nothing, and that means nothing to turn away from  ) .. they live in darkness anyway and they don't know it ?  ........... Can you explain how that makes any sense?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 October 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#67    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 15 October 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

Culture defines what is and is not acceptable. Biology is not debatable.

Culture is a product of peoples morals (among other things).

Homosexuality cannot be right or wrong anymore than heterosexuality is.

That is not true.

There is a reason God made both man and woman. If not then we would have all been made the same sex.

If the shoe fits...

Yes, if the shoe fits.

Like I said, you have no idea about my own sexuality, my own sexual desires, or any personal conflict I may have regarding the matter. You also have no idea as to who my friends are and how many of them are gay, bi, or transgenered.

I do not hate or even dislike people who fall under any of those categories based upon that alone. If I did I wouldn't be friends with some of the people I am friends with.

I don't have any hate to let go of. In fact, I see nothing hateful in what I said.

Ah, but there is most definitely hate behind some of the things you have stated. You may not see it, but that only indicates the very reason you can't let go of it to begin with.

One does not take such joy in mocking the beliefs of others - whether it concern God's existance or otherwise - without some level of hate and detest involved in doing so.

#68    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 15 October 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

Simply because a person believes in god does not mean he is real.

I already know this. I am not so sure that you realize your nonbelief in God, however, means He is not real.

#69    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 15 October 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Culture is a product of peoples morals (among other things).

Morals come from culture, not the other way around.

That is not true.

There is a reason God made both man and woman. If not then we would have all been made the same sex.

Give me empirical proof that your god created anything. A book of jewish fairy tales doesn't count.

Yes, if the shoe fits.

Like I said, you have no idea about my own sexuality, my own sexual desires, or any personal conflict I may have regarding the matter. You also have no idea as to who my friends are and how many of them are gay, bi, or transgenered.

I do not hate or even dislike people who fall under any of those categories based upon that alone. If I did I wouldn't be friends with some of the people I am friends with.

I could honestly care less about you, your friends, or your/their orientation.

Ah, but there is most definitely hate behind some of the things you have stated. You may not see it, but that only indicates the very reason you can't let go of it to begin with.

One does not take such joy in mocking the beliefs of others - whether it concern God's existance or otherwise - without some level of hate and detest involved in doing so.

Oh, so you've managed to work up a full psychological profile of me based on a few statements and know now exactly how and why I feel the way I do about things, right?
Bravo.

#70    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 15 October 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

That is not true.

Can you chose to make yourself fall in love with someone of the same sex ?   If you can.. can you tell me how easy it is ?

#71    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 15 October 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

I already know this. I am not so sure that you realize your nonbelief in God, however, means He is not real.

It's just a circular argument with no resolution, suffice it to say that the burden of proof does not rest on me to prove the fantastical.

#72    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 October 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Can you chose to make yourself fall in love with someone of the same sex ?   If you can.. can you tell me how easy it is ?

Be careful, I think you're going going to get lost in darkness! :lol: Better grab a flashlight.

#73    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 15 October 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Be careful, I think you're going going to get lost in darkness! :lol: Better grab a flashlight.

If I get lost in the darkness.. it will get me out of work for a while   lol

#74    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 October 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

If you do not believe in any god... then you will not think you have turned away from god.. in your mind, there is nothing there to turn away from.

Correct. If you don't believe in God than you won't think have turned away from Him. Not thinking you have done so, and not actually doing so are different things however.

If I believed and followed  a god that was not the same as your god, and  I claimed it was your god.. You will not hold belief's in my god..in your mind, my god does not exist for you.. Does it mean you have turned away from my god too?

Being as I know there is only one God I would not believe I have turned away from yours (unless we believe in the same God of course).

That said, you'd be well within reason to state I have turned away from your god (or gods) if you truly believe in them and do your best to live by their laws due to the level of belief you hold in him/her/them.

But ......I am not in darkness..  Well accept at night, that's a given  lol

Well, I am not sure of all your beliefs pertaining to God, but if I recall correctly you do believe in some type of god. And if I am correct in stating that (hope I am recalling correctly) I'm fairly certain you believe in a god that is just and one that expects people to behave in accordance to good morals and things of that nature.

In that sense I wouldn't say you are living in darkness. We'd have to have a far more intricate discussion about each of our beliefs however to go into more specific details about what living in darkness encompasses.

Hang on... -  Those who do not hold belief's in the god you chose...live in darkness . but..because they turned away from a being they don't believe exists  ( which to them is nothing, and that means nothing to turn away from  ) .. they live in darkness anyway and they don't know it ?  ........... Can you explain how that makes any sense?

I haven't chosen "my" god. God has chosen me. There is only one God, and as such no one gets to choose Him. They can only choose to turn towards Him or turn away from and/or deny Him.

When people turn away from, deny, or are merely unaware of His existance they are living in darkness. What level of darkness, and what "living in darkness" encompasses is something that I am not so sure can be all that well discussed through the internet as it takes somewhat of a more personal knowing of the person you are discussing the topic with in order to better understand each other.

#75    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 October 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

If I get lost in the darkness.. it will get me out of work for a while   lol

Heh. I can't come in today, I got lost in a godless darkness.

There's too much proselytizing going on in this thread for my liking....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users