Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

China unveils ambitious space projects

chinese space telescope x-ray astronomy black holes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,058 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

China unveils ambitious space projects

Xinhua said:

BEIJING, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- China will launch several space projects, including a hard X-ray telescope for black hole studies, between 2014 and 2016, according to a senior Chinese astronomer.

Su Dingqiang, an academic at the Chinese Academy of Sciences and former president of the Chinese Astronomical Society, revealed some details regarding the hard x-ray modulation telescope (HXMT), China's first space telescope, on Tuesday at the opening ceremony of the International Astronomical Union (IAU)'s 28th General Assembly.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

"The fact that we are meeting here is an indication that China has emerged in a short period of time to be competitive on the world stage in the science of astronomy."

Assuming you have the money, it's not that hard when you have the luxery of reproducing things other countries have already invented/achieved.

#3    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

This is awesome! Remember when another big player (the Russians) was in the competition? Hopefully this sparks a space race to Mars.

#4    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Im inclined to agree with the Mole, A Race to mars would be quite awesome :P

#5    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

I remember a film that had the east & west in space & all they could do was war on each other & I feel if we don't go into space united as one it will become a new battle ground.

#6    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

i wonder if there is a study on what breeds technology better team work or competition.

#7    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,721 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think all resources towards space development should go to the UN so that no single nation can dominate space. The UN Space Council should then use these resources donated by capable nations into developing offworld colonies and space exploration. Like the ISS, each offworld colony should have multiple nationalities of colonists.

Edited by Ashiene, 25 August 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#8    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

I agree with the UN thing, although I worry it might hinder space development at the rate the world is running right in this momemnt. But eventually yes, even colonizing the moon should be done in unity rather than countries competing for commercial interest.

It won't get us there the fastest, but laying the diplomatic framework would be worth the wait for our grandchildren.

Edited by TheMolePatrol, 25 August 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#9    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,845 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I dont know whats best, competition or cooperation. Both have strong sides and weakness. Like for cooperation it tends to become extremely slow and costly. Because the cooperation to work, it has to slow down so that the "weakest" space agency can be part of it. And costly because of to much burocraty. Competition, is generally faster, but im not sure if cheaper. Because to many resourches from different sides goes to the same goal.
So realistically I think there are situations where cooperation is better and others where competition beats all.

Finally got my black belt....

#10    Opinionist

Opinionist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "Man invented everything, except invention itself."

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:48 AM

I wish these big astronomy groups
to cooperate, to create an outstanding project that will "change" our understanding.

Edited by Opinionist, 12 September 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#11    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostAshiene, on 25 August 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

I think all resources towards space development should go to the UN so that no single nation can dominate space. The UN Space Council should then use these resources donated by capable nations into developing offworld colonies and space exploration. Like the ISS, each offworld colony should have multiple nationalities of colonists.

I believe the Chinese were told they weren't invited to join the ISS program, that's why they have gone their own way, they had no choice.

It's all very well saying everyone should unite to explore space, but there may come a time, and it may not be too far away, when everyone is fighting for the Helium 3 on the moon. Remember what happened at the end of the movie 'Iron Sky'.

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,058 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostOccams Razor, on 22 September 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I believe the Chinese were told they weren't invited to join the ISS program, that's why they have gone their own way, they had no choice.
You are putting the cart before the horse here. As far as I'm aware the Chinese haven't asked to join the ISS programme. It is also inaccurate to say that the Chinese are "going their own way". The Shenzhou was developed with a lot of help from Russia,

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users