Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can't spell

The Silver Thong

I had some computer issues the other day and a few things on UM seem to have changed and the worst for me is spelling. It gets better, my spell check on UM no longer works properly and when it does it doesn't give me options to change the word it just puts a red line under my mistake. I know this is a very simple fix but I can't figure it out darn it. Can anyone tell me how to make my spell check work for me.

Thanks for any help offered. I bet I have a ton of spelling errors in this post so please forgive me.

I had some computer issues the other day and a few things on UM seem to have changed and the worst for me is spelling. It gets better, my spell check on UM no longer works properly and when it does it doesn't give me options to change the word it just puts a red line under my mistake. I know this is a very simple fix but I can't figure it out darn it. Can anyone tell me how to make my spell check work for me.

Thanks for any help offered. I bet I have a ton of spelling errors in this post so please forgive me.

I can't spell either what i do is just type what i think the word sounds like in to google in a new tab

I'm not sure about UM's own spell-checker (I didn't know it had one!) if that's what you're referring to, but if you're using Firefox to browse the web there's a quick little trick you can use to force it's spell-checker to check text from every field you type in on any website, which is very useful. This page describes how to use it.

Edit: You can't change your username and your avatar at once, I didn't recognize you! :P

Edited by Raptor

The spell checker is a third party application for IE called "ieSpell" so i'm not too familiar with it, the only thing I can suggest really is to uninstall and reinstall the checker to see if that fixes the problem.

I always use Google when I need to check my spelling, it's quick and easy to use.

• Like 1

The spell checker is a third party application for IE called "ieSpell" so i'm not too familiar with it, the only thing I can suggest really is to uninstall and reinstall the checker to see if that fixes the problem.

Ok I will try that maybe as I'm a bit nervous about playing around with my comp lol. I was showen how to change that application once befor but can't recall how to do it. I will try what you say.

Thanks guys.

Edit: You can't change your username and your avatar at once, I didn't recognize you! :P

Quit you, I'm trying to hide :w00t:

I always use Google when I need to check my spelling, it's quick and easy to use.

Ya I hear ya, thats what I have been doing but it's a pain in the butt lol

• Like 1

Quit you, I'm trying to hide :w00t:

now i see your spelling problems silver thong not the 1 :tu:

Awww man, what the hell, it's making my brain ache!

You have no idea how long it took me to work that one out :lol:

• Like 1

Awww man, what the hell, it's making my brain ache!

You have no idea how long it took me to work that one out :lol:

Crap this was about spell check. I had to kill Silver Thong.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Mozilla fire fox and it underlines all my spelling errors in red and when i right click on the word it gives me a few different options on how to spell the word correctly.

Try this:

Open up Mozilla firefox

Look at your tool bar

Click on Tools

Select Options

Go to Advanced Settings

Then look for browser option and click on check spelling when typing

(P.s My spelling is disastrous and English is my first language and im 23 years old... lol :blush:)

Edited by MsKatsipoulis

I use Mozilla fire fox and it underlines all my spelling errors in red and when i right click on the word it gives me a few different options on how to spell the word correctly.

P.s My spelling is disastrous and English is my first language and im 23 years old... lol :blush:

It's funny I was able to get spell check to work at home but I think the firewall here at work is set to high or something. I'll just have to edit more often LOL

• 4 years later...

My spell check works everyplace but on UM. Is there anything I can do about that?

Which browser and spell checker are you using ?

Firefox and I think its just the spellchecker included with it but it is a older version, 10, my other computer bit the dust. This computer is slow but it works everywhere else.

Do you have the "check spelling" option ticked when you right click on the editor ?

( you'll need to click on either the actual cursor or any existing text you've entered in the editor to bring it up )