Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Preferred translation of the Oera Linda book?

Sukiari

I have started reading the OLB, Sandbach's translation, but I was wondering if there is another translation worth buying? I am also going to get Survivors of the Great Tsunami as well. After doing a bit of reading about the book on the internet, it appears that this forum has the most activity relating to it.

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Puzzler

• Sukiari

• Abramelin

Hi Sukiari, welcome to the UM forums.

Maybe you'd like you join the thread about the Oera Linda Book where we are giving alot of translations we think might be preferable to Sandbach's version.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227240&st=0

Survivors of the Great Tsunami contains an Englsh version by Tony Steele, who participated in the above thread for a while.

Alewyn's book is an interesting read, that's for sure, I have read it and enjoyed it alot, even if alot of it and the OLB itself continues to be debated.

I have started reading the OLB, Sandbach's translation, but I was wondering if there is another translation worth buying? I am also going to get Survivors of the Great Tsunami as well. After doing a bit of reading about the book on the internet, it appears that this forum has the most activity relating to it.

Thanks a lot.

From all the translations that are around, Sandbach's is the best.

But that doesn't mean it is good...

Tony Steele's version is flawed in many ways, and he admitted in part -1- of this thread (see my signature) it was flawed. Like Puzz said, Alewyn used Steele's translation for his book, but I understand that Alewyn dropped Steele's translation in the second edition of his book.

And Sukiari, if you need to find out about some expression or word used in the OLB, do this:

Google "KEYWORD(s)" AND "archived" AND "Oera Linda" AND "Unexplained Mysteries", and don't forget the quotation marks.

You can leave out the "ANDs", of course.

And when you read in Google results, "If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included" , then you click on that too.

Edited by Abramelin

Thanks a lot for the replies. I have been looking into the threads here on the OLB, but it is a pretty daunting amount of information to go through. 700+ pages in the one thread, 150+ in the other, it just makes my brain hurt thinking about it.

Good idea on the google search. I also acquired some dictionaries, which together with my admittedly small knowledge of various IE-family languages should help me as I read. I am trying to read both the English and the (old?) Frisian at the same time, in Sandbach as well.

Thank Wr-Alda for Google Books, what a great store of wealth we have on hand and instantly accessible.

Free free to jump in on any topic being discussed in the main OLB thread anyway, we always appreciate a new or different view there. It's a topic not many really want to get into but don't let the amount of posts disuade you, we are just passionate to discuss any part of it and it has continued for so long for that reason. Any of the participants would truly enjoy some new input, no matter how small it might seem. :tu:

Edited by The Puzzler