Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Update] Big Chat Room changes

Saru

The Unexplained Mysteries chat room has undergone a huge facelift today, our existing Java based Parachat system has been ditched completely and replaced with a shiny new Flash based chat system which is faster, easier to use and offers a number of brand new features.

The chat rooms can now be found - here.

To log in please use your forum display name, as oppose to your login name.

So what's new ? Here's a brief rundown on what the new chat room offers:

Multiple rooms

The chat room system is no longer going to be restricted to a single room, in addition to multiple rooms we now have a 'lobby' that will be the first thing you see when you log in to the chat. From here you can see all the available rooms and how many people are in each one, switching rooms is also now a simple process that can be achieved from a quick drop-down box. The off-topic room is back and unlike before you will not be forced to enter any given room by default, you can decide exactly where you want to go from the outset.

Media room

It is now possible to log in to our "Media Room" in which chatters will be able to watch and discuss a playlist of our featured YouTube videos live within the chat room itself, we'll be updating the list on a regular basis so there should be something new to see in there every day. Because its a chat room you'll be able to talk to other chat room users about any of the videos being shown in real time as you watch them.

Chat room size options

Our old chat room was rather on the small side with a fixed size, but with our new system you can now increase the physical size of the chat room from a menu at the top right of the page so that you are no longer confined to chat in a tiny space in the center of the screen. Sizes representing all the most common screen resolutions are available.

Configuration and forum integration

The new chat room offers a lot of new options to configure it to how you want it. A chat room history is available allowing you to view the transcript and save it to your computer without having to scroll your mouse over the entire thing in the main chat window. There are audio notifications (which can be disabled) and a selection of font, colour, avatar and background options to personalise your text and chat area. The chat room is also now integrated with the forum so that you can view a member's profile, posts, topics or send them a forum PM via the chat, you can also now click 'report' to let the moderators know about any troublesome members that you encounter.

An FAQ with additional information can be be found - here. I'll be updating the FAQ with additional commonly asked questions over time so if you have a question please check there first.

So go and log in, have a look around and give the chat room a go, hope you enjoy it. :tu:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• She-ra

• Cloudshill

• DrawingPics

SARUUUUUUUUUUUU
linked-image

Hoorah to Saru
for making chat all new

we can speak off topic
and act like a poppet

Hoorah to Saru
for making chat all new

so bow to the boss man
now we can have fun again

Hoorah to Saru
for making chat all new

Many thanks your way
Applauding you this day

Hoorah to Saru
for making chat all new

:wub:Your Chatter's :wub:

I bet I'm still "in the burn ward" and unable to connect... <_<

I bet I'm still "in the burn ward" and unable to connect... <_<

Try the link on my sig. They're correcting a few issues but the link is good :)

Blocked by my work proxy server darnit! :(

Blocked by my work proxy server darnit! :(

You're the IT dude fix ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt... pass itttttttttt

You're the IT dude fix ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt... pass itttttttttt

I don't control the proxy servers here for the county :(

Merged the two topics about the chat room in to one, thanks for your comments guys. :tu:

If anyone runs in to any specific problems (work proxies aside) give me a shout.

Well it's been "loading" for about 10 minutes now so I guess I still can't get in from work. :hmm:

Upside is I'll stay productive... yes I use that term loosely...

I fear the chatroom.

But with the many people inside it, very attractive. Still I must resist. I must resist.

Edited by AGoodWriter

Generally yes you need to be logged in in order for the chat room to recognise you.

:hmm: Not working for me :( All it's been saying is 'loading settings..' :mellow: Done a few things different, stood on my head, but nada :no: ... just not working.

Where are you connecting from i.e. home, college, work ?

Connecting from work...I'll give it a try when I get home.

If its still doing that, I'm just gonna :cry:

:P

A few people are having trouble connecting from work or college, it's a problem i'm looking in to.

A few people are having trouble connecting from work or college, it's a problem i'm looking in to.

So we'll be able to log in anytime after the problem is fixed?

:hmm: Not working for me :( All it's been saying is 'loading settings..' :mellow: Done a few things different, stood on my head, but nada :no: ... just not working.

OMG YOU HAVE TO COME CHAT WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

♥♥♥