Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's center is out of sync

Still Waters

We all know that the Earth rotates beneath our feet, but new research from ANU has revealed that the center of the Earth is out of sync with the rest of the planet, frequently speeding up and slowing down.

http://phys.org/news...enter-sync.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Setton

• lightly

• Still Waters

• Ashotep

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad its always done this and it isn't something new to worry about.

They have been researching this for 50 years and have found that the center has different rotation speeds, I wonder if they compare these times to the times of natural disasters which have happened over the past 50 years too?

I wonder if they compare these times to the times of natural disasters which have happened over the past 50 years too?

not only that freet, but the earth's magnetic field variance could have something to do with global warming too maybe.....?

They have been researching this for 50 years and have found that the center has different rotation speeds, I wonder if they compare these times to the times of natural disasters which have happened over the past 50 years too?

I doubt there would be any connection. Core processes have next to no effect on the surface. Some people link them to intraplate volcanism (Iceland, Hawaii etc.) but that's dubious at best and unsupported.

not only that freet, but the earth's magnetic field variance could have something to do with global warming too maybe.....?

Probably not. The magnetic field exists because of convection in the outer core around the solid inner core. The field varies because convection varies. There's even less chance that the surface affects the core than the other way around.

hmm maybe the variance , and resultant friction, is what keeps the innards HOT ?

hmm maybe the variance , and resultant friction, is what keeps the innards HOT ?

The thing is, the core is not 'kept' hot. Any heat generated from friction rises into the mantle. Remember, heat always rises so the core is always cooling. Most of the heat in the core is from collisions during the accretionary phase of Earth's formation.

The thing is, the core is not 'kept' hot. Any heat generated from friction rises into the mantle. Remember, heat always rises so the core is always cooling. Most of the heat in the core is from collisions during the accretionary phase of Earth's formation.

Ok, thanks Setton, I'm just thinking that this newly discovered, additional, dynamic would probably create more friction, and therefore, more heat?

http://phys.org/news62952904.html

"We don't think this original heat is a major part of the Earth's heat, though," Marone says. It only contributes 5 to 10 percent of the total, "about the same amount as gravitational heat.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news62952904.html#jCp

http://www.scientifi...-earths-core-so

Quentin Williams, associate professor of earth sciences at the University of California at Santa Cruz offers this explanation:

There are three main sources of heat in the deep earth: (1) heat from when the planet formed and accreted, which has not yet been lost; (2) frictional heating, caused by denser core material sinking to the center of the planet; and (3) heat from the decay of radioactive elements.

Edited by lightly

Ok, thanks Setton, I'm just thinking that this newly discovered, additional, dynamic would probably create more friction, and therefore, more heat?

As Hilander said, it's not a new dynamic, it's just one we didn't know about before. The heat generated in the core is the same. Don't get me wrong, we can now account for more heat but it is still mostly transferred into the mantle.

"We don't think this original heat is a major part of the Earth's heat, though," Marone says. It only contributes 5 to 10 percent of the total, "about the same amount as gravitational heat.

It's not a major part of Earth's heat, no. But I was talking specifically about the core which has next to no radioactive elements and is cooling. As I said, it is not 'kept' hot.

Source: Professor Foulger, Durham University Earth Science Department.