Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fontana, Ca. schools get high-powered rifles

Sakari

Fontana, Calif., schools get high-powered rifles

FONTANA, Calif. (AP) — The high-powered semiautomatic rifles recently shipped to school police in this Southern California city look like they belong on a battlefield rather than in a high school, but officials here say the weapons could help stop a massacre like the one that claimed the lives of 26 students and educators in Connecticut just weeks ago.

Fontana Unified School District police purchased 14 of the Colt LE6940 rifles last fall, and they were delivered the first week of December — a week before the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Over the holiday break, the district's 14 school police officers received 40 hours of training on the rifles. Officers check them out for each shift from a fireproof safe in the police force's main office.........................

more : http://news.yahoo.com/fontana-calif-schools-high-powered-rifles-184934771.html

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Sakari

How in the world did we get to the point we have to arm our schools with military-style assault weapons...not going to prevent future shootings on campuses. There's debates on "gun free zones" in schools and other public places are thought to lure in mass shootings in belief nobody else are armed in the very places. What if they read signs "military-style assault weapons present on campus!" and double taked their plans out of fear of police officers or site security guards are armed? :gun:

I don't know how I feel about this.

Because once armed guards are in schools with these weapons, then it's the malls. Then it's the grocery store.

The moment a grocery store gets shot up I'll have to go walking down the soda aisle with a man with an assault rifle watching my every move.

Security is not worth the cost of liberty.

Liberty provides security.

• Like 4

I don't know how I feel about this.

Because once armed guards are in schools with these weapons, then it's the malls. Then it's the grocery store.

The moment a grocery store gets shot up I'll have to go walking down the soda aisle with a man with an assault rifle watching my every move.

Security is not worth the cost of liberty.

Liberty provides security.

For now you would never have liberty without security. They go hand in hand, some give and take.

Maybe in the future when there's no crime you can have your liberty. But not anytime soon.

Well it's good that they're giving proper training and are safely storing the guns, but if you need to turn your schools into armed camps then there's something seriously wrong with your country.

• Like 4

Do the kids get to play with these toys?

At least there is one thing positive about this: The things are kept in a fireproof safe if not used on duty. There seems to be some control minded people in California.

• Like 1

Why dont they install automatic machinegun turrets inside the school while they're at it? :rolleyes:

I bet they could cut down running in the hallways and skipping classes to a minimum that way also.

These would be perfect, an NRA wet-dream>>

[media=]

[/media]

Ok Used by School Police which is a plus, usefull in a school shooting situation, unlikely. You have to get to the weapon, unlock the safe to get the weapon. Load and ready the weapon, then proceed to do CQC with who ever is shooting up the school.

But since they are there at least they are in the control of people who's job it is is to protect people. However they need hundreds of hours of training with the weapons to make them an extension of there body and not just a tool.

~Thanato

• Like 1

When I have kids, I want them to attend this school. I just feel bad for the guy who has to take down a kid because his parents obviously didn't spend enough time teaching him right from wrong.

and what will happen when after being forced to deal with bloody teenagers for a few years one of these guards snaps and opens fire?

• Like 1

Well it's good that they're giving proper training and are safely storing the guns, but if you need to turn your schools into armed camps then there's something seriously wrong with your country.

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Reason we have to have guards in school, is because they basically advertise them as free kill zones with the no-gun zone signs. For mass murders, they go for places with least resistance and allow for them to get high kill counts. Schools are perfect for this, because there is never anyone there with a gun to stop them, they are practically unstoppable until the police come, by then it is too late, so having trained individuals who are paid to protect our students from these type of people make sense.

Hopefully the guns in schools is something we can get passed as a society. But the last thing we want to see is another Sandy Hook incident.

When I have kids, I want them to attend this school. I just feel bad for the guy who has to take down a kid because his parents obviously didn't spend enough time teaching him right from wrong.

You can not blame the parents.....That is just stupid / ignorant....Both

Why a rifle? I'd think a MP5 style compact gun would suit a school much better and give the police better mobility than a rifle. This almost seems as an insurance plan rather than security to be honest.

I am sure they all ready carry hand guns. The assault rifles are for emergencies.

Wow. I can understand armed security, but wow. That's a lot of gun. It does suck that we feel the need to protect our children so heavily.. Sucks they need such protection.

Then again, 20 years ago when I was in high school, I thought it sucked that weapons were such a problem that metal detectors at the main entrances were required. Though at that time other weapons were as much of a problem as guns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of guarding arms in school. From police to hired security, and yes, handguns for staff that volunteers and goes through training. I'm even somewhat ok with shotgun lockers in staff only areas with authorized staff only having access. But dang, that sucks that such obvious heavy duty firearm action in carry around is required. Crap, most of the cops I've known of that had big guns strapped in their car carried some sort of shotgun rather than that kind of weapon.

You can not blame the parents.....That is just stupid / ignorant....Both

Well, you're wrong. Because I can. Instead of letting kids surf the internet all day (look what's on the internet...) take some time and go do things with them. Kids need attention, and they will do something to get it.

Well, you're wrong. Because I can. Instead of letting kids surf the internet all day (look what's on the internet...) take some time and go do things with them. Kids need attention, and they will do something to get it.

You can blame them all you want, but you are wrong. Not going to change the topic, so this will be my only ( of many ) examples.

I have a daughter and a son....

Both raised in the same house, same rules, same everything.

Daughter, straight A student, and got a scholorship.

Son, turned to drugs at 14, spent entire time in prison from 18 to 22.....14 to 18 in Juvenille Prison.....( he is now doing great though )

My son tells me all the time he wished he had listened to me, and all ways apologizes....I tell him to stop.

Just one example of many.

Blaming the parents is stupid, and wrong. How many waking hours a week are parents with their kids?......Kids are influenced, and spend more time with other people, not their parents.

• Like 1

I understand Sakari, children spend more time with peers than parents. But I feel parents should influence children to avoid negative criminal things and encourage them to study and work hard, condone good behavior over the bad to instruct children in becoming good citizens in society. Schools should discourage violence on campuses and remind students on formation of criminal gangs are not the best way to be around people.

I just had one of those "Boy, do I feel old" moments.

The only guards I remember at school were crossing guards. Also, a friend of mine (same age) grew up in a tiny rural school who tells me that he had to give the principal his .22 every morning and got it back after school so he could hunt grouse and not waste the walk, to and from school.

Maybe those were the 'good old days'?

/now get off my lawn!

• Like 1

I just had one of those "Boy, do I feel old" moments.

The only guards I remember at school were crossing guards. Also, a friend of mine (same age) grew up in a tiny rural school who tells me that he had to give the principal his .22 every morning and got it back after school so he could hunt grouse and not waste the walk, to and from school.

Maybe those were the 'good old days'?

/now get off my lawn!

Yes, those were the good old days. I grew up in fairly rural Florida, and when I went to high school in the 60's several kids had rifle racks and rifles in their pickup trucks. We never once had a shooting at school.

I don't think you should be breeding.