Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jamais vu

8th_wall

The situation of experiencing a recognized situation that is unfamiliar. It's like a memory being "implanted" or unintentionally recalled you can easily recognize but have no familiarity towards. Curious to see what people think of this.

I'm experiencing this frequently recently :S, just having various scenarios that I'm sure I have experienced before but the sense of familiarity is completely missing.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8th_wall

• StarMountainKid

• Xanthurion2

• Keosen

I am sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. It's like describing Deja vu but in a different manner.

Perhaps I am missing something, could you perhaps elucidate?

i think i may have had something like this before. i can recall being in a house in louisiana when my mother moved there. i can see a couch and an entrance to what i assume is the kitchen and the lights are really dim. but i couldn't possibly remember this because i was only about 1 year old and we only stayed there for a week. i asked my mom about it and she said i was right with the description of the room except the lights weren't actually dim.

Edited by Xanthurion2

I am sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. It's like describing Deja vu but in a different manner.

Perhaps I am missing something, could you perhaps elucidate?

Haha all good, took me a bit to wrap my head around it also. I think the difference lies in the sense of familiarity. Deja vu feels very familiar and one is reminded of having experienced before where as jamais vu feels very unfamiliar. Both situations are recognized however. But yeah jamais vu would be like having a memory implanted with no sense of repetition in that you never experienced the memory but it is still there.

i think i may have had something like this before. i can recall being in a house in louisiana when my mother moved there. i can see a couch and an entrance to what i assume is the kitchen and the lights are really dim. but i couldn't possibly remember this because i was only about 1 year old and we only stayed there for a week. i asked my mom about it and she said i was right with the description of the room except the lights weren't actually dim.

If the experience felt familiar then this may have been deja vu :P.. Jamais vu is the same except it doesn't feel familiar. Like been plunged in deep waters and learning how to swim xD.

Recognizing a situation that is unfamiliar. Like entering a room, and you don't feel you've been there before, but you recognize the room?

I think it's more like entering a room you have been in before, yet for some reason it seems totally unfamiliar to you in that moment.

I have this feeling all the time! Situations occur in my life, and it seems as if they've happened before, but the moment I think about it the sense of familiarity is gone and I can't remember why I thought it happened before. I always assumed that it happened in a dream or something. What is the cause of this?? :huh:

I think it's more like entering a room you have been in before, yet for some reason it seems totally unfamiliar to you in that moment.

If it seems unfamiliar how do you now that you've been there before?

Recognizing a situation that is unfamiliar. Like entering a room, and you don't feel you've been there before, but you recognize the room?

I think it has to be unique in that it doesn't remind you of something else. Like the room you recognize is purely unique to that room, not some room you may have seen when you were 5. It's like you know you've seen it before but it's just completely unfamiliar, nothing to relate it to. This is what I think it means anyway.

Oh okay, yeah however I think what happens is in the moment of uncertainty, that moment it's jamais vu however after the moment passes and you recognize it for what it is it's just a memory of a previous scenario. Similiarly how a tip of the tongue is only a tip of the tongue experience while it remains on the tip of your tongue :P.

I have this feeling all the time! Situations occur in my life, and it seems as if they've happened before, but the moment I think about it the sense of familiarity is gone and I can't remember why I thought it happened before. I always assumed that it happened in a dream or something. What is the cause of this?? :huh:

Dude.. That's exactly what happens to me.. Just recently I saw a picture my half brother took of himself to see what he looks like, I recognized it but at the same time it seemed completely unfamiliar.. :S It wasn't him himself, it was the picture, the setting, just seemed like I SHOULD know something MORE about it but there's just no sense of familiarity.

Recognition is there yet familiarity isn't.

Recognition is there yet familiarity isn't.

I see, still i don't get it though.

I understand the "i lived that before" but cannot comprehend the "i know you are my brother by i don't know who you are".

I have experienced the opposite feeling of unfamiliar places/persons but with the feeling that they are familiar, especially in dreams,

ie. I see a total stranger woman in my house but i know it's my mother even though i haven't seen her ever before.

The deja vu it's a bug in our brain code so i guess the Jamais Vu it's another version of it.

Edited by Keosen

It's kind of like if you go on vacation, and come home, and your kitchen seems oddly unfamiliar to you.

Or like a musician playing a familiar song, and the music suddenly escapes them. Or when you are writing a word, and suddenly you look at it thinking that isn't a familiar word at all. I've had that one happen to me a couple times with the word off. Like I write it, and I look at it like did I misspell that, is it even a word? But then the moment passes and I laugh at myself.

Sometimes people that suffer epilepsy have moments of Jamais vu- as they are going into a fit, they have a moment of disconnect. Sometimes it's possible to trigger it with brain fatigue by repeating something over and over till you lose track of the familiarity of what you are repeating and it becomes meaningless to you.

The tip of the tongue sensation of almost remembering is called presque vu :)

Ok, now I'm starting to understand it better.