Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marriage after death

Katielou

Hi all,

I've wondered for a long time what happens when a married person dies and the person on earth remarries?

My mum died when I was young and my dad has remarried I've often wondered where that leaves her?

In one sense I understand he needs someone and wouldn't want him to be lonely but on the other I think what about my mum?

You can never say 100% what you would do until you were in a position yourself but I truly feel if it were me I wouldn't move on and I'd wait to be reunited in the after life....

Anyway any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Katie

Ps my dad doesn't believe in life after death so he thinks my mums gone n that's that but I believe that there's more that this life...

Whether we like it or not; whether we learn to accept it or not, life is about moving on. Some could view the phenomenon called death itself to be sort of one moving on from life on earth to the state of non-existence, to a life in heaven, hell or on earth as rebirth, or so on. I feel that if we can cherish every happy moment shared with our loved ones, even when they've left us, and still have the courage to deal with life when they're not around, it's perfectly alright. I can understand that the sense of separation can be very painful, but we need to learn to take things in our stride and deal with whatever life throws at us. Sometimes we may also need to turn a bad deal around, into something seemingly positive. I know it's easier said than done. But that's how life is. And this is how we grow.

I sincerely wish you the best.

• Like 1

Not sure if this will help but it's what I believe..best wishes.

Matthew 22:23-33

New International Version (NIV)

Marriage at the Resurrection

23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question.24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died.28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

Thanks for both of your thoughts on this subject and your well wishes. It's a Mind bender question for me I mean I've heard people say that people who have passed don't feel they miss people on the earth because there always around and that they can't feel any pain but I think if I passed and saw my partner with someone else how could I not feel pain and how could you not miss your children yeah maybey you see them but you can't have a chat or give them a cuddle so how could you not miss them?

Maybey there's someone on here in contact with the other side who could give their thoughts?

Thanks

It's a Mind bender question for me I mean I've heard people say that people who have passed don't feel they miss people on the earth because there always around and that they can't feel any pain but I think if I passed and saw my partner with someone else how could I not feel pain and how could you not miss your children yeah maybey you see them but you can't have a chat or give them a cuddle so how could you not miss them?

Well, we can only speculate, without ever knowing, what emotions we may go through after we cease to exist in the physical realm. There could be a possibility that upon death, one could pass on to a state devoid of all emotions, positive or otherwise, a state where the ego plays little or no role. But whatever our views maybe, they would be hypothetical at best. I like to imagine that those who pass on, continue to live among us, as fond memories of past experiences. And as long as we treasure those memories, we keep our loved ones alive. I like to imagine that our loved ones continue to love us, bless us, and wish the best for us. And that even though they aren't with us physically, they're still very proud of every good thing that we do. Even though they cannot comfort us physically, they stand by us when we need them the most, cheering us on. I like to believe that the best we can do for the ones we care about, is to take care of our self. We only miss that which is not with us.

Research the "Book of Mormon" on this subject. I think they adhere to "celestrial marriage" or something along those lines. I don't know for sure.

Hi all,

I've wondered for a long time what happens when a married person dies and the person on earth remarries?

My mum died when I was young and my dad has remarried I've often wondered where that leaves her?

In one sense I understand he needs someone and wouldn't want him to be lonely but on the other I think what about my mum?

You can never say 100% what you would do until you were in a position yourself but I truly feel if it were me I wouldn't move on and I'd wait to be reunited in the after life....

Anyway any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Katie

You shouldn't worry Katie. In the other places we do not have jealousy or the needs that we do here on earth. We shed our animal habits after a short while. Everything works out fine. You will see.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If you truely love another, you would want them to be happy - whether you are alive or not...

(Using the generic "You" not meaning You specifically)...

Edited by Taun

lest we forget even some of the vows given before God. "till death do us part" at that point, carry on, remarry, whatever right?

Yes, "till the death". But when somebody dies, you don't have to go with them. It's not your time yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi Katie,

Seeker79 is right - there is nothing to worry about. I have had your thoughts on this and have, based on observation, and seeing hundreds of spiritual readings by mediums to have formed what I believe is an educated opinion on this. For example, I've seen widows receiving messages from their spouse who died, more often than not they will give their blessing to them to move on and find a new partner, and new companionship in life.

I believe this is because the relationships that we form in life are meant to teach us things, to help our spirit grow and learn things. It is all part of the 'school of life'. Your mom and dad will always share a special bond, and no doubt they will have a joyful reunion in the afterlife, and continue to share a spiritual bond. But like seeker says, in our spiritual bodies - once we are reunited with God - I believe that we have a much bigger picture view of the universe and an enlightened understanding of life and love. As time goes on, I believe our spirits let go of those earthly desires that once drove us - but the love we felt, for our children, for our spouses remains - it is a purer kind of love, that is without jealousy, without sadness.

Our loved ones, after crossing over, are with us all the time and they do communicate with us in subtle ways. Perhaps they do not miss us because their concept of time is different from our own. In fact, I have heard time is only a concept created by our physical realm and in fact doesn't exist in the consecutive way we see it. Perhaps in their "big picture" view of things, our lifetime is only a blink of an eye to them and from their perspective they will be with us again momentarily.

You see you are viewing things from an earthly perspective, but I believe the spiritual perspective is far different from our own. My opinion (and of course it is only my beliefs and I cannot say for certain until in fact I cross over to the spirit world), but my opinion is that from your mother's perspective - it is like her children are away at school for the day - though she can watch you learning, she doesn't want to interrupt. She stands at the doorway, waiting for your class to finish only to greet you with open arms when the bell rings.

I Don't Think That Our Souls In The After Life Are Worried About Human Things We Do On Earth ..

Last Year My Best Friend's Father Died .. She Said "Oh No, Now My Dad Will See Me Smoke And Hear My Cuss" .. I Laughed Ans Said That She Shouldn't Not Be Worried, Because Her Dad Probably Doesn't Care And Has Better Things To Think of ..

Katie, true love does not change by anything, even death. It is unselfish, does not seek to possess, but will always only seek the happiness of those who are loved. Marriage may formalize love, but not define it. I imagine that after death partnership or marriage are no longer relevant as they are defined in this realm. The structure may dissolve, but the essential survives. It is true that the Bible says that those who pass away do not marry, but it also says:

" Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm; for love is strong as death... Many waters can't quench love, neither can floods drown it." (Song of Solomon)

Don't worry about the question of where does your father's remarriage leave your mom, the love your parents shared survives, as does the love she has for you.

When you truly believe you're going to die, you find yourself in a situation where you have to accept it without question. Something inside you resolves you to accept it on the best terms, to be at peace with the prospect as much as possible within those few days or few seconds or however long you think you have. Part of being at peace with it, means that you take stock of those people you love, and whatever is unresolved between them and you, and you just love them. There's no calculating, or planning, or giving permission for those people to move on and find people to replace you. Your ego vanishes. The only thing left is that you love them, and you want them not to suffer after you're gone.

Any relationship you have with another person, even one formalised by marriage, is a transient thing. When your death is imminent, rules like that don't matter. People you love will move on after you have gone, and if you love them, you want them to move on and be happy. Death is the great individualiser. You have to do it all by yourself, so it's unfair to drag someone else down with you, even if they're married to you.

Maybe we just reincarnate and our energy never really leaves anyway.

We won't know until then.