Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Noam Chomsky on Media Bias

Ryinrea

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ryinrea

• Farmer77

• SilverCougar

• Caesar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments about how they are moronic, idiots, or nobodies that don't know what they're talking about in 4..3..2..1...

Video wouldn't work for me, so forgive me if im off base here but study after study has shown a liberal bias in the media. It's a fact that isn't really open for debate. Now not ALL media is liberal, nor does a liberal bias necessarily reflect intent on the part of the media to mislead the audience or misrepresent the facts.

UCLA study : http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/Media-Bias-Is-Real-Finds-UCLA-6664.aspx?RelNum=6664

Good article about bias in general: http://www.aim.org/aim-report/aim-report-new-evidence-of-liberal-media-bias-november-a/

NPR article :http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1919999

Another good link: http://www.mrc.org/biasbasics/biasbasics1.asp

Love this one: http://www.mrc.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp

This chart is pretty self explanatory http://www.mrc.org/biasbasics/images2005/MBBChar1D.jpg

The NPR article touches on a poll which I cannot seem to find at the moment. The poll was conducted anonymously in newsrooms all across the country asking what the media staff's political leanings were (2004ish if I remember) . Of course they were overwhelmingly liberal. The evidence is clear, there is a liberal bias in the media.

Have you noticed that Chomsky was never aloud on any msm? That in it self proves he is right.

The liberal bias, in media is a myth.

Edited by Ryinrea

Have you noticed that Chomsky was never aloud on any msm? That in it self proves he is right.

The liberal bias, in media is a myth.

LOL did ya bother to read any of the links posted? Could it be that Chomsky never got on MSM because listening to the guy talk is like watching paint dry?

Edited by bigtroutak

Of course journalists are liberal in their personal politics. Journalism requires a college degree.

So having a college degree makes you liberal? Dang skippy!

Of course journalists are liberal in their personal politics. Journalism requires a college degree.

Your attempt at insults aside I think you're onto something. I think its possible that those with a liberal point of view are drawn to career fields such as teaching and journalism while those with a conservative mindset are more drawn to careers in the business world and public service (police, fire, corrections, military etc.)

Not quite. There are libral public servents just as much as there is conservitive journalists and teachers.

Not quite. There are libral public servents just as much as there is conservitive journalists and teachers.

Exactly! This does not prove, that their is a liberal bias.

Oh and big I have seen every poll that you have posted before!

Of course there are, we're not talking absolutes here. But there are MORE cops who are conservative than liberal, just like there are MORE journalists who are liberal than there are conservative.

Exactly! This does not prove, that their is a liberal bias.

Oh and big I have seen every poll that you have posted before!

SO the 3 different polls where the media themselves admit they are liberal means nothing?

SO the 3 different polls where the media themselves admit they are liberal means nothing?

Yes it means nothing, because polls can be bias in themselves and wording changed ect...

Do any of you know who this guy is? this is kinda like Rush Limbaugh saying Fox News has a liberal bias.

Of course there are, we're not talking absolutes here. But there are MORE cops who are conservative than liberal, just like there are MORE journalists who are liberal than there are conservative.

Not true, at all I know a lot of cops, I would say a spilt in cops that are conservative and Liberals.

Do any of you know who this guy is? this is kinda like Rush Limbaugh saying Fox News has a liberal bias.

:rolleyes:

Journalism.org has a great article about how the press handled the 2008 election: http://www.journalism.org/node/13307

Once again , PROOF of a liberal bias.

(ya know whats funny is im a registered non-partisan)

So you've asked every publc service guy out there if they're libral or conservitive? I can almost actually bet that most will say moderate. (see what I did there?)

Yes it means nothing, because polls can be bias in themselves and wording changed ect...

SOOOOO basically you've made up your mind and no amount of facts will change your opinion?

So you've asked every publc service guy out there if they're libral or conservitive? I can almost actually bet that most will say moderate. (see what I did there?)

WOW thats a weak argument, but ill address it anyways. No i havent asked every public servant their political leanings. I have however spent the last 8 years working as a public servant , in the public service community and i am often given crap because of my left wing ideas

The problem with saying "won't facts change your opinions?" is that facts in this kinds of things are more objectives then facts. Any poll can be swung to any direction to the poller's desire.

The problem with saying "won't facts change your opinions?" is that facts in this kinds of things are more objectives then facts. Any poll can be swung to any direction to the poller's desire.

Exactly, any poll can be swung to any direction to the poller desires.

WOW thats a weak argument, but ill address it anyways. No i havent asked every public servant their political leanings. I have however spent the last 8 years working as a public servant , in the public service community and i am often given crap because of my left wing ideas

Not really weak. I've worked in the public servace as well, as well as the health service.. As well as have family members that are public servents along with many friends. Most are moderate.

So really, your point of "most public service leans conservitive" is something that depends on where you are.

Journalism.org has a great article about how the press handled the 2008 election: http://www.journalism.org/node/13307

Once again , PROOF of a liberal bias.

(ya know whats funny is im a registered non-partisan)

Saw it aging, bias is in the eye of the beholder. I too have family who works in the public service as well. We're mostly spilt on our political views. Read Response bias, on opinion polls.

Edited by Ryinrea