Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bipedal Lizards

lizards reptiles cryptozoology cryptids anatomy

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    TroodonMan56

TroodonMan56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Skepticism and open-mindedness go hand in hand; Pseudoscience and arrogant, closed-mindedness also go hand-in-hand.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Hi, y'all! So, I was just now wondering whether it was possible for a lizard to become fully bipedal, like a theropod dinosaur. I'm not just talking about running on 2 legs for short distances to escape predators, or anything like that. I'm talking about full bipedalism. The reason why I asked this question is because I read a sighting report online of an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night. It was described as looking "lizard-like". Therefore, I was wondering if a highly-evolved, bipedal species of lizard could be behind that sighting.

So, does the anatomy of lizards permit them to evolve full bipedalism, reminiscent of the theropod dinosaurs? And also, is it possible for a lizard to evolve warm-bloodedness, as well? Thanks! :)

Edited by TroodonMan56, 23 January 2013 - 05:14 AM.

#2    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

While many lizards are capable of running bipedally, and there is no reason why bipedal locomotion could not evolve in lizards, this story is still weird. Lizards aren't nocturnal because they need the heat of the sun to keep them going (outside of desert climates, where there are a few nocturnal species), so seeing one at night would be nigh impossible.

#3    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I'm pretty sure lizard's legs come out of the side of their bodies, while raptors and other bipedal dinosaurs legs' came out of the bottom of their bodies. I suppose it would be possible to evolve like that, but they'd all be walking around like Charlie Chaplin...

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostTroodonMan56, on 23 January 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Hi, y'all! So, I was just now wondering whether it was possible for a lizard to become fully bipedal, like a theropod dinosaur. I'm not just talking about running on 2 legs for short distances to escape predators, or anything like that. I'm talking about full bipedalism. The reason why I asked this question is because I read a sighting report online of an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night. It was described as looking "lizard-like". Therefore, I was wondering if a highly-evolved, bipedal species of lizard could be behind that sighting.

So, does the anatomy of lizards permit them to evolve full bipedalism, reminiscent of the theropod dinosaurs? And also, is it possible for a lizard to evolve warm-bloodedness, as well? Thanks! :)

This is what I remember, but I don't know if it's about the same:

The "Arica Monster" from Chile:

Witnesses describe a run in with huge kangaroo-like, bipedal monster in the deserts of northern Chile. The sightings have occurred by people who were traveling by car on different days through the remote road that links the cities of Iquique and Arica through the Atacama desert, some 2,000 kilometers north of Santiago, Chile. The newspapers in those cities collected recent accounts from citizens who claim to have seen the rare creatures. In addition, a military officer named Hernan Cuevas says that he spotted two of the beasts while traveling with two other adults and two children in a vehicle. He was quoted as seeing, "a huge beast, much like a two-legged dinosaur, with huge thighs."

http://www.syfy.com/...s/arica_monster

I can't find it right now, but if I remember it right, the 'beast' was the size of an ostrich.

And yes, the witnesses knew the South American 'ostrich', the nandu (Rhea pennata). These birds don't have a heavy tail like a kangaroo has.

Edited by Abramelin, 23 January 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#5    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostTroodonMan56, on 23 January 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

(i) There's no biological reason why a lizard couldn't evolve full bipedalism. The frilled lizard can run on two legs and the Jesus Christ lizard can run on water!

(ii) I imagine if a lizard species had an easy supply of high energy food then it could evolve to move around at night and not be so dependent on sunlight for temperature regulation.

(iii) Do you have a link to the 18 year-old's cryptid sighting at all?

Edited by Rewlahool, 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostRewlahool, on 23 January 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

The Arica Monster was first spotted at the Atacama desert in Chile 1980.

http://www.primalcar...=4516&view=next

And here it was spotted in 2004:

http://s8int.com/phile/dino44.html

Plus some earlier reports from North America, but nothing 18 years ago, like TroodonMan56 said.

August 28 2004 at 12:08pm

Authorities in Chile are puzzled after a number of motorists reported seeing strange creatures resembling dinosaur kangaroos.

According to UOL Noticias Populares, the reports describe creatures more than two metres tall on a road north of Santiago.

http://www.iol.co.za...-chile-1.220570

#7    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

He said "...an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night" which sounded a different location to the Chile encounters you link to. (NB: not 18 years ago)

Edited by Rewlahool, 23 January 2013 - 03:19 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostRewlahool, on 23 January 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

He said "...an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night" which sounded a different location to the Chile encounters you link to. (NB: not 18 years ago)

LOL, you are right.

But I also mentioned earlier reports from North America (Colorado and Tennessee).

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 23 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,266 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Not this again

#10    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 23 January 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Not this again

Why? Did someone start a thread about this in the past?

#11    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 23 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

LOL, you are right.

But I also mentioned earlier reports from North America (Colorado and Tennessee).

Posted Image

Not sure about that picture: at a guess, he's holding up 15-20 pounds of meat and he's just not braced the way he should be to counterbalance the weight. Also, the critter ought to be hanging straight down from his hand but there's not much bend at all in the neck. I suspect a Photoshop job. The shadow on the rock is a nice touch, though.

#12    TroodonMan56

TroodonMan56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Skepticism and open-mindedness go hand in hand; Pseudoscience and arrogant, closed-mindedness also go hand-in-hand.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostRewlahool, on 23 January 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Yes, I do. The sighting was in the U.S. state of Georgia, and it occurred at 3:30 AM on Friday, July 25, 2008. Here is the link: http://www.paranorma...s_09_04_15t.htm

#13    TroodonMan56

TroodonMan56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

By the way, I'm not talking about the Arica Monster in Chile. The creature I'm talking about was seen in the state of Georgia, in the United States.

Edited by TroodonMan56, 23 January 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#14    TroodonMan56

TroodonMan56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

By the way, in my opinion, that picture of a guy holding up a dead lizard carcass is probably a hoax.

Edited by TroodonMan56, 23 January 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#15    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 23 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Not sure about that picture: at a guess, he's holding up 15-20 pounds of meat and he's just not braced the way he should be to counterbalance the weight. Also, the critter ought to be hanging straight down from his hand but there's not much bend at all in the neck. I suspect a Photoshop job. The shadow on the rock is a nice touch, though.

I posted it because that's what the OP made me think of, not that I believed it all.

Btw. I don't know how to handle a velociraptor or how it bends when you hold it in your hands. There are not many around here.

View PostTroodonMan56, on 23 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

By the way, I'm not talking about the Arica Monster in Chile. The creature I'm talking about was seen in the state of Georgia, in the United States.

Why didn't you say so from the start?

Also tagged with lizards, reptiles, cryptozoology, cryptids, anatomy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users