Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Happy Lughnasadh

Grandpa Greenman

August 1th is middle summer festival. It is a day of feasting on the fruits of mid-summer. It celebrates the Celtic God Lugh (loo) the many skilled. He is the master of crafts, warfare and magic.

My turn to be High Priest at my coven celebration wish me luck. grin2.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Grandpa Greenman

• Kismit

• mako

well yes happy 1th agust grin2.gif

and good luck with your priest duty thumbsup.gif

how about if you write something about your experience? original.gif

HUZZAY! It's Lughnasadh!

Again, the lack of conveniant transportation and a lack of mate caring about holidays of any kind... I am.. spending it alone. Which is nothing new X)

Happy Happy!

Hey SC Sorry to hear that and consider it his loss.

how about if you write something about your experience?  original.gif

The actual workings of a coven are generally secret. But I can tell you what happens at a Lughnasadh (loo na saw) celebration. You celebrate the summer harvest of berries, corn, and summer vegatables. So you put them on the alter. You make a cornbread man that represents the God Lugh (loo). As you pass Lugh around and eat him you talk about what you are thankful in your life. (I must say, I made the cornbread man and he turned out looking like Mr. Bill. "0000 Mr. Hand don't eat me OOOOO....) grin2.gif Different covens do different things. Some dance and sing. All in all it is fun and serious at the same time.

Edited by Darkwind

how about if you write something about your experience?  original.gif

The actual workings of a coven are generally secret. But I can tell you what happens at a Lughnasadh (loo na saw) celebration. You celebrate the summer harvest of berries, corn, and summer vegatables. So you put them on the alter. You make a cornbread man that represents the God Lugh (loo). As you pass Lugh around and eat him you talk about what you are thankful in your life. (I must say, I made the cornbread man and he turned out looking like Mr. Bill. "0000 Mr. Hand don't eat me OOOOO....) grin2.gif Different covens do different things. Some dance and sing. All in all it is fun and serious at the same time.

767468[/snapback]

This sounds so peaceful and enjoyable that it pains me to remember how many people think it is the work of the devil (Anything to do with this and other festivals/holidays/religions). Never knew corn bread was Satanic. tongue.gif

Is this a specific religion's holiday or just Celtic?

Edited by The Raven

Had a wonderful Lammas! I hope all fellow Pagans who celebrate Lammas had a great one! Brightest Blessings Everyone!

It is a holiday of the ancient Celts and Gauls. Remember the Celts were not just in Ireland, but in all the British Isles and in Europe. Ireland was the last strong hold.

Neo Celtic Pagans are bring back the old customs and the old religious holidays. So for me it is very much a religious holiday. It is a cross quarter holiday so it is not a high holy day like Samhain (sow win) but a holiday none the less. Lugh is a God and a hero and on this day he is worshiped, this is his day. To the Celts Mid summer is the beginning of the end of summer. The God is old and is beginning to die. The next holiday is Samhain when he enters the world of dead. The Goddess is very sad and winter begins. But there is hope, the Goddess carries the seed of the God in her womb. On Yule the the Goddess give birth to the God. The holidays follow the increase and decrease of the day. Which was very important to farm people. Our monthly worship follows the Moon, Full Moon and New Moon. The God is represented by the Sun and the Goddess by the Moon. There is more, a lot more but it has been a big day for me and it is time to take my meds and hit the bed. sleepy.gif

[qipte]Remember the Celts were not just in Ireland

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland huh.gif Maybe I'm just arrogant or something huh.gif

Anyway, sounds fun...although there is something morbid about passing around a little cornbread man and eating him tongue.gif

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland  Maybe I'm just arrogant or something

Sera, just remember the old saying, "God made the Scots, just a wee bit better!" LOL, as one Scot (even if I am the Yank variety) to another, the Scot is the epitamy of the Celt! yes.gif

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland Maybe I'm just arrogant or something

Like I said they were through out the British Isles. (In the States most people associate Celtic with Ireland.) I know one Celtic Pagan that follows Welsh traditions and they are different from Irish and Scot traditions. People of ancient times were much more regional than they are today. I don't know if Modern transportation is a curse or a wonder. On one hand I can jump a plane and go see Seraphina in a matter of hours; on the other hand we got McDonalds on every corner all over the world and unbreathable air.

So yes Seraphina my love, you are a Celt. yes.gif

Passing around a cornbread man and eating him is better than passing around a Christian and eating him. Becides Christians tend to be tough.

Edited by Darkwind

[qipte]Remember the Celts were not just in Ireland

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland huh.gif Maybe I'm just arrogant or something huh.gif

Anyway, sounds fun...although there is something morbid about passing around a little cornbread man and eating him tongue.gif

767574[/snapback]

Funny.. when I think Celtic.. I think Ireland, Whales, Isle of Man, little corner of France, thenScotland...

laugh.gif But maybe I'm just arrogant!

*cackles and runs*

(I should hope I don't have to place this "I'm Joking" sign up for some people)

*cackles and runs*

Ye better run, ye sassinach (forgive me Sera if I misspell it, but me heart is the the right place)! Ye'll have the Clans after ye! LOL laugh.gif

*cackles and runs*

Ye better run, ye sassinach (forgive me Sera if I misspell it, but me heart is the the right place)! Ye'll have the Clans after ye! LOL laugh.gif

768807[/snapback]

Good... My kilt collection needs some more in it. X)

*humms the Drunken Scotsman song*

Hey now, only I get to hum the drunken Scotsman song!

*smirks and sticks her tongue out* It's been one of my drinking songs for ages! Nothing like halloring the last lines while the bar door is wide open... X)

correction *Sassenach

As in (and not aimed at mako, for ye did a bonnie job your self lad); Now be gone with ya, ya foolish Sassenach, ya be brewin up a stramish.

Aye, Kismit's Scots is bonnie. yes.gif

Also, Lugh was an Irish god, which is possibly why Darkwind associated the Irish before the Scots.

For the shear heck of it....

The child Lugh was born, and in later life joined the Tuatha De Dannan, a race of divine warriors, in there battle against Balor ( a tyrant king of the Fomorians) Lugh was a great magician,warrior, harpist,poet and craftsmen, who eventually went on to kill Balor, by using a sling shot to put his one fiery eye out and turn it against Balor's own people. By removing the eye wich had parched the crops, in this way Lugh tammed the power of nature and protected the harvest. He became king, and prosperity returned after a long age of barreness. (abridged: courtesy of the Celtic book of living and dying, by Julliette Wood)

Edited by Kismit

laugh.gif Happy whatchamacallit....

There's something to learn every day... thumbsup.gif

I feel slightly outnumbered...

And there are still no kilts to be had!

You should see one of my LJ icons wink2.gif A friend made it for me because he knows the power of kilts...

XD

Look what I found.

The Celts in Ancient History

People referred to as Celts first appear, in Greek texts, during the period archaeologists call the Iron Age. This was the last phase of prehistory, which in Europe North of the Alps comprises roughly the last 600 to 800 years BC. The Iron Age conventionally ends with the gradual conquest of Western Europe and much of Britain by the Romans, which is taken to mark the beginning of recorded history.

During these centuries, the Celts, also known as Gauls or Galatians, became the most feared of all the 'barbarian' peoples beyond the world of Greek and Roman urban civilization.

Many of the peoples of Europe at the time, from Spain in the West to the Balkans in the East, and from Northern Italy to the English Channel, were regarded by Greeks and Romans as related to each other, under the names 'Celts' (Greek: Keltoi; Latin: Celtae), 'Gauls' (Latin Galli), or 'Galatians' (Greek Galatae).

Archaeology has shown that these peoples possessed vibrant cultures, and developed superb artistic styles. (Right: Greek lotus motifs, top, inspired early Celtic artistic taste, and were imitated and developed into the 'La Tène' style, used especially on metalwork; lower drawings.)

These peoples have another great claim to modern attention. The word 'Celtic' is used today of peoples whose (present or former) native tongues are related to those of the Ancient Celts.

Among the most interesting aspects of the subject are the difficulty in defining exactly who the Ancient Celts were (and equally, who they were not), and just what relationship they have with the modern peoples often called 'Celtic'.

Simon James

MORE

Archaeologist can be brutal. tongue.gif

Edited by Darkwind

Darkwind very kool very interesting all the best to you on your day. Namaste Sheri

It is a day of feasting on the fruits of mid-summer.

OMG! No...oh, no...I can't believe it! I am Pagan............I have been eating peaches .....

devil.gif

A friend made it for me because he knows the power of kilts...

You can't grillit till it's kilt. rolleyes.gif lame

*ties Joc up and puts him in a box marked "Send to Abudabi"*