Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

Lucky7

I have seen the hat man a few times. Last time it was in broad daylight in someone's yard. I see shadow people alot too. I'm not sure why some people see them a lot but it could be alot of reasons. For example, My friend, Lori, Used to see shadow people all the time and soon after she would see one a friend of hers would die. She lost about 8 friends and then stopped seeing them.

EDIT: I wasn't really experiencing anything tragic or anything that I can think of when I've seen them. They are just there. They haven't caused any harm to me.

I would have screamed "I hate you!" at my friend after the second person died, and ran away crying like a little girl!

Friends and family members have seen him in my aunts house. I thought it was just a ghost(maybe an indian?) that died in the area long ago.

One night my aunt got up at 3am to prepare a bottle for her child. As she turned back she noticed a shadow of a man with a hat near the lamp table in the living room. She asked him what he's doing standing there in the dar, she thought it was her husband - to her horror, she soon realized it was much bigger and seemed almost menacing ...she ran screaming into her bedroom teling her husband she had seen a ghost.

If this matter(as it relates to the Hat man), that house has been plagued with problems. Not the actual house, but the people who live in it. Everyone cusses, everyone is rude - people do drugs, people cheat on each other, there's greedyness..fights, drama etc... the air is thick..there's tension. I've felt it and I don't like going to the house. My aunt has a collection of porcelain dolls too, not that it matters but- it adds to the creepiness factor. I think it's a sad house.

I don't normally believe in things like auras people give off, but I get bad vibes(not evil) from everyone there...the energy is bad.

You are close to home with the thought that they may be connected to Native Americans. Almost everyone who has seen the SP's down here in the Bog know that there are hundreds of Native American burials around that site.

Yet I still am not a firm believer that these SP's are negative or evil. I can still feel the exact emotions that buzzed my body after seeing them. Fear is a negative emotion and for anyone to tell me that they would not be scared out of their minds at least the first couple of times are either liars or have grapfruit sized nads.

For me ... evil would not run or zip away from a simple ole living human. Which is what they do, they run. If for the most part they seemed to come towards you or otherwise I would agree, yet most experiences with them they run. As I have stated and many before me have stated they seem to dart away faster than the person who saw them. For me in my opinion they are scared to death of us ... I have read many opinions which state that maybe we are spirits to them. Maybe they call us a ghost. Who knows??? :huh:

• Like 1

Like I said before I have seen these things twice. The first one I was 16, and it was in the shape of a dog, a huge dog, then it began shape shifting into just a blob. I was completely terrified, this might have been sleep paralysis. I'm not sure, but when it was over I was crying. Also I was able to scream for help (Usually my sleep paralysis consisted of just weight on me, and not being able to move or speak...I never saw anything near by, this was an only time thing, so I'm not sure if it was or not.) There was a lot of negativity in my life then. My parents were separating, I had a lot of resentment and anger bottled up inside. I question a lot of the things that happened around this time, because I was in such a dark time in my life. It made me believe that troubled youth are the cause for poltergeist.

The second time though, I was completely awake, and there was other people in the house. I had been experiencing weird stuff in my house, so we were having a seance. Around this time my life was completely peaceful, I had gotten a new house, me and my partner were happy, there was nothing negative going on and nothing strange had happened in years!!! This turned my world upside down because I had spent years in peace, so I believed that it was all the previous negativity in my life causing these things. Then out of nowhere paranormal things started happening. The night of the "seance" a SP appeared, it was the cloaked one... I just recently saw those sketches in another thread... When I saw it, it just looked like black mass in the shape of a woman with long hair.... That's exactly what it looked like to me. I was terrified!! It wanted to be seen, it just stood there completely still. I was telling it to leave, and it seemed to get stronger, it just stood there. Then my friend started praying and it disappeared. I know this is a ludicrous story but it is the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. It brought me here. I had completely left all the paranormal behind for good. I fixed my life, I didn't want any darkness around me, then this happened. Till this day, I have no clue what really happened or what it really was...There is one thing I know for sure, whatever they are they are horrible, evil. They cause instant fear, a fear that makes you want to run. A fear I had never experienced from any living thing.

• Like 1

You are close to home with the thought that they may be connected to Native Americans. Almost everyone who has seen the SP's down here in the Bog know that there are hundreds of Native American burials around that site.

Yet I still am not a firm believer that these SP's are negative or evil. I can still feel the exact emotions that buzzed my body after seeing them. Fear is a negative emotion and for anyone to tell me that they would not be scared out of their minds at least the first couple of times are either liars or have grapfruit sized nads.

For me ... evil would not run or zip away from a simple ole living human. Which is what they do, they run. If for the most part they seemed to come towards you or otherwise I would agree, yet most experiences with them they run. As I have stated and many before me have stated they seem to dart away faster than the person who saw them. For me in my opinion they are scared to death of us ... I have read many opinions which state that maybe we are spirits to them. Maybe they call us a ghost. Who knows??? :huh:

In both of my experiences I was totally terrified!! The dog shaped one was coming at me, really slow.... It was coming around my bed, as it turned the corner it started loosing it's shape and just becoming a big blob. The second one felt like it was staring me down, and wouldn't budge. I have to say, I don't fear it now, in my current mind state because I figure they can only have as much control as I give them. Whatever it is they feed off of our energy of this I'm sure!!

In both of my experiences I was totally terrified!! The dog shaped one was coming at me, really slow.... It was coming around my bed, as it turned the corner it started loosing it's shape and just becoming a big blob. The second one felt like it was staring me down, and wouldn't budge. I have to say, I don't fear it now, in my current mind state because I figure they can only have as much control as I give them. Whatever it is they feed off of our energy of this I'm sure!!

Right there with ya!!! The first experience where I knew for fact that I was awake was the worst. It was in college, went to the bathroom with stomach cramps. As I went back into my room I layed in bed, reached up to get my blanket and Mr. Hat was blackening in front of the window. I rolled out of bed, swinging my left hand for the light switch and kicking towards that window with my right leg. Terrified to say the least!!!

I also know the experience with the SP's losing their shape ... it seemed on one occassion to turn into just that a big blob. Funny how all these correlations seem to pop up. In my opinion there is no need to fear them. As I have stated before it they were out to "destroy" and eat me .. I would be a shadow tird by now, :lol:

I am also almost certain that energy has something to do with my "our" situations. It is ironic with how many places I have seen this SP. I have seen it where I grew up, my aunts, my grandparents and at college. Also seen a SP .. although in a differnt shape as stated before at the bog/swamp beside the river after fishing one night. All of my other experiences was a hatman. That one was more as you stated more like a blob of dark mist.

I have done much homework on this subject in the past. If you or anyone would like I would enjoy sending you guys/girls some links to information and opinions of science dealing with this situation. I have posted this info in the past many times dealing with SP's ... seems to all come down to Electromagnetic Frequencies. Hmmmm ... ;)

Can I just check - when you say shadow people do you mean actual figures that look like they're made of shadow (I see these fairly often and it's what i think when someone says shadow person) or shadows that look like people but with no source?

• Like 1

Can I just check - when you say shadow people do you mean actual figures that look like they're made of shadow (I see these fairly often and it's what i think when someone says shadow person) or shadows that look like people but with no source?

In my case, both :S

EDIT: To clarify, when it was in the field, it looked like a hooded shadow sliding across the ground, and when I saw it in the forest it looked more "physical" although it still looked "shadowy". Sorry, hard to explain, I don't really understand it myself, just trying to describe what I saw :huh:

I have seen one shadow person once (actually it could've been two, but if so, they both looked identical except the size).

I was outside at night, and noticed a huge shadow of a person wearing what looked like a cloak moving across the ground on a field, but the shadow had no source, nothing was casting it. I wasn't scared at all, in fact I was really interested in what this was, so I followed it for a few seconds, but it was ridiculously fast and quickly got away from me.

I went in the direction it was moving when I lost it, because I was really fascinated by this thing and wanted to find it, and eventually I saw it again, but this time it wasn't on the ground, it was floating in midair and was a bit smaller, but other than that it was identical to the one I had seen on the ground. It also looked REALLY weird, I can't explain exactly how, but it just seemed out of place, like it wasn't part of the world, it's like it was there, but at the same time wasn't. It "floated" around in the air for a few seconds, seemingly looking at the various trees and plants (this took place in a forest next to the field where I first saw it), then it suddenly "jumped" sideways ridiculously fast and vanished into thin air.

Also, I don't think it had anything to do with me whatsoever, because it completely ignored me, didn't even look in my direction (although it had no visible face, I could kind of see in what direction it was facing). Whatever it was, it was just minding its own business, and I just happened to witness it.

EDIT: By the way, I know my story sounds unbelievable, but that's exactly what I saw. And it was right in front of me, I didn't see it in the distance, I saw it clearly. I guess it could've been a hallucination or something, but I've never hallucinated before and have no mental illness. I don't drink or do drugs either.

Edited by Chronii
  • Like 1

In my case, both :S

EDIT: To clarify, when it was in the field, it looked like a hooded shadow sliding across the ground, and when I saw it in the forest it looked more "physical" although it still looked "shadowy". Sorry, hard to explain, I don't really understand it myself, just trying to describe what I saw :huh:

EDIT: By the way, I know my story sounds unbelievable, but that's exactly what I saw. And it was right in front of me, I didn't see it in the distance, I saw it clearly. I guess it could've been a hallucination or something, but I've never hallucinated before and have no mental illness. I don't drink or do drugs either.

Thanks. Just wanted to check I was thinking of the same things.

I tend to see shadow people quite often but only at home (I'm at uni now) They never do anything, they just stand and watch for a while then vanish when I turn my back. I don't think they're anything evil but I get a really weird feeling when I see them or even just thinking about them. I know it sounds strange but I feel almost like I'm about to cry. Not sad but I can feal tears welling up. I get the same thing when I look at some 'genuine' photos of ghosts or cryptids but not with others. Anyone know anything about this?

• Like 2

Quick question: Did the Hatman sightings start picking up steam before or after Phantasm came out? Or how about V for Vendetta? Because, honestly, this guy and the characters in those movies sound quite the same.

Quick question: Did the Hatman sightings start picking up steam before or after Phantasm came out? Or how about V for Vendetta? Because, honestly, this guy and the characters in those movies sound quite the same.

With my age ... I am quite sure "it" was around before these movies. I do agree however that it seems that so many people lately have had experiences with Mr. Hat. Yet again Mr. Hat has been noted historically way before movies were even around.

Hello Everyone, Welcome to my thread about the Hatman and shadow people. I have seen both the hatman and the shadow people. Many times and very clearly and in broad daylight each time. For those of us who have been visited, I am wondering what we have in common. Why are we being selected to have these visitations? Do we have anything in common, or is it just random?

If we can find some common ground, we might be able to figure out what it is that these shadows want from us.

I will start by telling you what I was going through at the time I saw these beings. I was living alone, I was renting a very large Victorian House in London. I was going through a divorce at the time and very emotional. I was crying every day and going over and over my life choices. I felt despair and emotional upheaval as the reason I was renting this house was because I had moved out of my own house.

What were you experiencing at the time in your life when you saw the shadows?

I've seen the Hat Man. I've also seen him in broad daylight, and my boyfriend at the time was with me and also saw him.

I was just out of high school and having some anxiety about my future and my relationships. It wasn't until after the "sighting" that things got really bad. I don't know if it was the cause of the bad things or not.

I see shadow people day and night, in every place I've lived, all my life. Human figures, all the same; cats; and a few times dogs. The human figures hang out mostly in the hallway and kitchen, the cats are seen in all rooms.

I've never been afraid as I have no reason to be. They never do anything but walk by or stand at a distance. The cats walk across furniture and a few times my bed as I've been lying in it - they carried no substance, I didn't feel anything.

I see them in cycles. Months may pass before I see anything, but as soon as one shows up, many do, and it becomes a daily thing. That may go on for months, it varies. Then just as suddenly as they reappear, they are gone again. I really couldn't tell you if it coincides with anything, but I caught glimpse of one, a human figure, last night after not seeing any for a while. I expect the cats to show up soon.

Personally, I don't think they are "things" really. More like, a thing, a phenomenon. I don't believe, nor have seen evidence to think they have a consciencenous or respond to the world around them. I also think they are separate from ghosts, as they are all the same, and seem to be attached to people instead of places (although I've heard that people can be "haunted" by ghosts too). The one thing that I think is the most interesting about them, is that the more time someone spends with me, the more likely they are to see them also. As I posted in the other thread, I've heard so many friends say, "Dude, I swear I saw someone standing in the hallway!" or "Your cats are sleeping? Do you have another one, I just saw a cat run across the bookcase!"

• Like 2

The only thing i ever seen was a small dog shadow on my ceiling that was sitting stood up and walked away. My cousin was near me and saw it. About a month earlier my cousins dog was hit by a car and died. Don't know if this has much to do with the topic.

All I can gather so far is that they are attracted to emotional turmoil. Thanks everyone for posting. Keep your stories and experiences coming....

• Like 2

All I can gather so far is that they are attracted to emotional turmoil. Thanks everyone for posting. Keep your stories and experiences coming....

No emotional turmoil in my experience...

I’ve seen several in the past year, though had seen none in the 50-something years before.

All were in broad daylight.

All were in a certain woods which has been full of odd things.

The first was standing by a tree near a trail. I thought it was some Goth kid hanging out, smoking a joint or something. He was dressed in black and wearing a hood. When I rounded the corner and came up to the tree he was gone. It freaked me out. Other things have happened at this tree.

The next time a small one, maybe 3 feet tall, rushed up to me from behind on a different trail. It came up right next to me and then vanished.

The next time there were 2 small ones up in the trees.

I felt nothing negative. I feel the 1st one was to get my attention. To get me thinking.

The one which rushed me from behind seemed curious and had a sense of urgency.

The 3rd time I felt they were just hanging out, watching me.

So, what has made these things become ‘visible’ to some of us???

The only shadow thing I seen was in dreams. Tall, stocky, pitch black with "spikey" hair.

No visible eyes but there was this air of immense energy from them.

Of course when you are young it seems overwhelming and scary and in some ways it still was but I doubt they were harboring malicious intent.

Of course it is most likely just a dream too.

I saw the Hatman shadow person once when I was about 11 years old.

I posted my experiance on the Collected facts about shadow people thread.

Here it is:

I must admit that I am kinda biased. I have seen ghosts and spirits all of my life. I was very used to them just "popping" up all the time. And I know the difference of having an evil entity present vs a positive, negative or neutral one.

So when I saw the figure that night I wasn't scared only because I was used to things like this happening, I guess. That, and I didn't get any evil or negative "feelings" from the figure. I got the feeling it was just observing me. It wanted me to see it, but I don't know why.

It looked like the shadow of a 1940's detective in a fedora type hat and long coat. But the figure was solid black. My hall light was on behind him, so I saw him very clearly and no light was passing through him. I didn't feel drained by him at all. So, I think that either it was a powerful enough entity that it didn't need my energy to be seen or it was getting it's energy from something or someone else.

To me it didn't feel like a ghost or spirit, it's vibrations were way different, if that makes any sense.

So, I laid in my bed for a few hours trying to decide if I had really seen it. Only because it was like nothing I had previously experienced before. I wasn't sure it really happened. I did decide that I did see it and I just tossed it in with all the other "weird" experiences I've had.

That was the only time I ever saw the Hatman. I've seen regular shadow people and shadow animals since then from time to time. In all of my experiances they never gave me any reason to fear them.

In my experiances I've never seen a shadow person/animal when my personal life was stressed. I only seem to notice them when my life is going well.

• Like 2

I dont know what hatman is, but when I was a kid there was a shadow man standing at the edge of the couch I was sleeping on, and he had a hat lol Thats all I got on him.

Not in my case.

k, i'll tell you though most is very personal even though i've been doing this forever it still sometimes scares me like the first day

oh yes, the shadows, i have many but after years i now try to ignore them, they do tricks like mess with the room lights, when i ignore them... the lightbulb of my room keeps getting burned and as I enter the room, my family pretends it doesn't happen, lights go on and off, i used to pay them attention but now i'm tired and they're becoming very rude.

They've protected me a few times, other people have seen them as well, I have no enemies here bad things happen to people who don't like me I have no idea if they read thoughts? but there's some people who actually blame me for their bad stuff and they run from me like i were death they think the shadows are things i control lolol if they knew i have no idea what they are and why they keep the attitude and that i TRY with all my might to keep an open mind, try to convince myself it could be group psychosis or whatever haha.

I read the tarot, sometimes I think they tell me or posess me somehow to tell the things i've told, i've tried every single evil practice when younger just to test because I was a non believer, well, I sure regret now trying divination so hard, reading in the water, the mirror painted black, all the games... I now read the tarot once a year when my mom begs me, only person I couldn't say no to in that department.

But that is not my only experience, when someone in my family dies I know it from before, but like, right when it happens, when my cousins killed themselves 30 minutes before the phone rang, I screamed their names and I felt them cry at my ear, I think it's something about our blood, I know when something's wrong with a familiar, specially on my dad's side.

And finally the scariest is when I have the sleep paralysis symptoms but they get mixed with messages, last time one of them became very real, but he didn't look like a person he looked all rotten, he got on top of me like he was going to rape me and kept saying in a mocking voice: Please sweety just one more time, give me one more time, I thought I was going to die... they were nasty and they said they belonged to my great aunt (it happened around the time I was visiting her)... who's like 108 and still alive, and I hope so cause the ones in my house were never that abusive... I managed to get out of that one, I hate them, they're a whole bunch of perverts lol ,.,.. if they're real, I still keep the hopes of being crazy,, when they stress me too much I just choose to believe whatever rocks my boat.

• Like 1

... Still waiting for the hat man to make an appearance ... :tu:

No emotional turmoil in my experience...

I’ve seen several in the past year, though had seen none in the 50-something years before.

All were in broad daylight.

All were in a certain woods which has been full of odd things.

The first was standing by a tree near a trail. I thought it was some Goth kid hanging out, smoking a joint or something. He was dressed in black and wearing a hood. When I rounded the corner and came up to the tree he was gone. It freaked me out. Other things have happened at this tree.

The next time a small one, maybe 3 feet tall, rushed up to me from behind on a different trail. It came up right next to me and then vanished.

The next time there were 2 small ones up in the trees.

I felt nothing negative. I feel the 1st one was to get my attention. To get me thinking.

The one which rushed me from behind seemed curious and had a sense of urgency.

The 3rd time I felt they were just hanging out, watching me.

So, what has made these things become ‘visible’ to some of us???

This is a very interesting encounter. So, you got the feeling that they were friendly? Well, they are visible because they also live on Earth with us. There is nothing other worldly about them, although they must know different information to us and live in a different form. I am convinced that they are just tired of being in the shadows and that they want to learn about us and possibly they want to have more human traits. Imagine living in the shadows your whole life... it must be a strange existence for them. They want to be seen. Did you feel that they were reading your mind? Did you have any other thoughts when you saw them?

... Still waiting for the hat man to make an appearance ... :tu:

Please do not wish for that. Be glad that you have not had these experiences. It really stays in your mind and causes alot of stress.

Firstly, I came here by using google search "shadow people forums".

I have had encounters with shadow people and i would like to know if we people that encountered shadow people have something in common.

I have been told that on documentaries they say they are from h*ll...

i have had 4 encounters with shadow people....

Alone in my room and a shadow person (full body shot) staring at me through a turned off tv.

I saw a shadow figure run past the corner of my eyes and i thought it was my brother but it wasn't, he was busy in a room doing something else

I was sitting down on a computer, i saw a shadow walking up to me, i was moving to see if it was mine but it wasn't and the shadow kept walking towards me (Gave me goosebumps), i looked back and there was nothing there

I was on the computer and my cat was next to me, it started to stare in the corner and It's eyes got big and i looked into its eyes and i saw a shadow figure in the corner

from my last encounter with shadow people i believe thats cats really are something like what the egyptians thought of them to be (or something)

but anyway.. I would like to know if we all have something in common, coming close to death? depression? there maybe has to be something

Btw, i think from that encounter with the tv i saw the hatman

Please do not wish for that. Be glad that you have not had these experiences. It really stays in your mind and causes alot of stress.

Also, If i could make a choice to encounter shadow people or not, i would choose not to. You have no Idea how scary it is.