Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where Was Atlantis?

docyabut2

Atlantis could have been Thera,one of the expolsion around 1500bc does coincide with the king Checrops,1582,that was said to be in this war.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/cparada/GML/MythicalChronology.html

At Tell el Dab'a in Egypt, pumice found at this location has been dated to 1540 BCE, closer to the traditionally accepted date of Thera's eruption.

This was a Egyptian tale of a war the greeks forgot because of a great flood. I was veiwing a show about how the greeks( athens) had to send two young people to Crete every year by order of king Mino for sacifice to the minon bull ,so this powerful empire of the islands must have had some control over the greeks.This war was about 1000 years before Solon that the Egyptains remembered, but not the greeks.And there was that find on a island in the Agean ( the name I forgot) where they found this houre of weapons found buried.

• Like 1

Plato -Chritias

And this is reason why the names of the ancients have been preserved to us and not their actions. This I infer because Solon said that the priests in their narrative of that war mentioned most of the names which are recorded prior to the time of Theseus, such as Cecrops, and Erechtheus, and Erichthonius, and Erysichthon.

http://www.classicallibrary.org/plato/dialogues/18_critias.htm

Edited by docyabut2

I was under the impression Atlantis was a fictional place in some writings..Plato I think.

Either way it is a fictional place just like Avalon.

Ever noticed, when it comes to Atlantis, that this place seems to be found all over the world?

• Like 2

I am inclined to believe that Atlantis.. if it ever existed ...was more than likely on the island of santorini and part of the minoan civilization

• Like 1

I` am leaning towards Crete simply because of the time of the kings of Athens in the tale, that place atlantis a thousand years before Solon in the following years of the dark ages of greece when the greeks lost all arts of writing.

Chritias

(Athens )

For when there were any survivors, as I have already said, they were men who dwelt in the mountains; and they were ignorant of the art of writing, and had heard only the names of the chiefs of the land, but very little about their actions.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

It could of existed as many civilizations that have come and gone. Who knows where though and it could of just been a fictional story to entertain the wealthy.

• Like 1

I don't know where it was but I think they should keep looking - I believe they did find that Troy was more than the myth they had once assumed.

One of the things that I find interesting is that the Greek god Posideon, the "mythical" king/god of the sea and of Atlantis is always depicted with race horses. Plato mentions the Atlanteans love of racing and their race tracks in his narrative. Why would the god of the sea, Posideon, be shown with horses and not... say dolphins maybe ?

• Like 1

Chritias

All the outside of the temple, with the exception of the pinnacles, they covered with silver, and the pinnacles with gold. In the interior of the temple the roof was of ivory, curiously wrought everywhere with gold and silver and orichalcum; and all the other parts, the walls and pillars and floor, they coated with orichalcum. In the temple they placed statues of gold: there was the god himself standing in a chariot-the charioteer of six winged horses-and of such a size that he touched the roof of the building with his head; around him there were a hundred Nereids riding on dolphins,

Solon put the tale in greek form

Edited by docyabut2

Chritas

One kind was white, another black, and a third red, and as they quarried, they at the same time hollowed out double docks, having roofs formed out of the native rock.Some of their buildings were simple, but in others they put together different stones, varying the colour to please the eye, and to be a natural source of delight. The entire circuit of the wall, which went round the outermost zone, they covered with a coating of brass, and the circuit of the next wall they coated with tin, and the third, which encompassed the citadel, flashed with the red light of orichalcum.

Another thing that convinced me was that stone of gitter,and the colors of of the temple of knossos.:)

Most seem to think Santorini.....

I do too.

Can't be Crete/Santorini:

The time is wrong, the dimensions are wrong, the direction is wrong (where are those Pillars of Hercules between Athens and Crete?), and a lot more that doesn't agree with Plato's story.

What Abe told. Plus crucial fact. Thera eruption didnt wiped out Minoan civilizations. Only Akrotiri site. Elsewhere Minoans continued to live on.

Minoans probably fell due fall of Hittites. (although no one know for sure because as it usualy as it be there are more complex factors in decline period)

Edited by the L

If Atlantis was invention (which I dont believe) then Plato was probably inspired by Helike catastrophe. When tsunami hit the city Plato has 50 years.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

Proclus (5century) in his writting criticism on Timaeus wrote that others too saw Egyptian from which story of Atlantis was passed to Greeks. :rolleyes: Thats huge. We have witness account.

Edited by the L

What Abe told. Plus crucial fact. Thera eruption didnt wiped out Minoan civilizations. Only Akrotiri site. Elsewhere Minoans continued to live on.

Minoans probably fell due fall of Hittites. (although no one know for sure because as it usualy as it be there are more complex factors in decline period)

L . like the story says- Zeus, the god of gods, who rules according to law, and is able to see into such things, perceiving that an honourable race was in a woeful plight, and wanting to inflict punishment on them, that they might be chastened and improve.

The civilization didn`t end but was to be chastened and improve

Such was the vast power which the god settled in the lost island of Atlantis; and this he afterwards directed against our land for the following reasons, as tradition tells: For many generations, as long as the divine nature lasted in them, they were obedient to the laws, and well-affectioned towards the god, whose seed they were; for they possessed true and in every way great spirits, uniting gentleness with wisdom in the various chances of life, and in their intercourse with one another. They despised everything but virtue, caring little for their present state of life, and thinking lightly of the possession of gold and other property, which seemed only a burden to them; neither were they intoxicated by luxury; nor did wealth deprive them of their self-control; but they were sober, and saw clearly that all these goods are increased by virtue and friendship with one another, whereas by too great regard and respect for them, they are lost and friendship with them. By such reflections and by the continuance in them of a divine nature, the qualities which we have described grew and increased among them; but when the divine portion began to fade away, and became diluted too often and too much with the mortal admixture, and the human nature got the upper hand, they then, being unable to bear their fortune, behaved unseemly, and to him who had an eye to see grew visibly debased, for they were losing the fairest of their precious gifts; but to those who had no eye to see the true happiness, they appeared glorious and blessed at the very time when they were full of avarice and unrighteous power. Zeus, the god of gods, who rules according to law, and is able to see into such things, perceiving that an honourable race was in a woeful plight, and wanting to inflict punishment on them, that they might be chastened and improve, collected all the gods into their most holy habitation, which, being placed in the centre of the world, beholds all created things. And when he had called them together, he spake as follows: *

* The rest of the Dialogue of Critias has been lost.

One of the things that I find interesting is that the Greek god Posideon, the "mythical" king/god of the sea and of Atlantis is always depicted with race horses. Plato mentions the Atlanteans love of racing and their race tracks in his narrative. Why would the god of the sea, Posideon, be shown with horses and not... say dolphins maybe ?

He did it for love:

At one point he desired Demeter. To put him off Demeter asked him to make the most beautiful animal that the world had ever seen. So to impress her Poseidon created the first horse.

Source

Harte

SNIP

Zeus, the god of gods, who rules according to law, and is able to see into such things, perceiving that an honourable race was in a woeful plight, and wanting to inflict punishment on them, that they might be chastened and improve, collected all the gods into their most holy habitation, which, being placed in the centre of the world, beholds all created things. And when he had called them together, he spake as follows: *

* The rest of the Dialogue of Critias has been lost.

Or, as some think, was never finished.

The theory there is that Plato realized he was almost plagiarizing the Iliad from that point forward.

IOW, the story he was fabricating had already been told.

Harte

"Where Was Atlantis?"

The Pegasus galaxy?........

San Francisco Bay. :w00t:

cormac

• Like 1

If we go to the description of the metals as silver, gold and orichalcum. Who has any ideas on orichalcum? I have read some think it was copper. (If so, hope they had also invented Tarnex.) There is, however, one of the favored locations that had access to all three of those metals. I just don't remember which one. Does anyone ?