Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Electronic cigarettes challenge anti-smoking

Still Waters

A new TV advert for a brand of electronic cigarettes marks the first time in decades cigarettes of any sort have been promoted on US television. Anti-smoking campaigners fear the rapid growth of tobacco-free cigarettes could undermine years of successful anti-smoking efforts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20583902

Anti-smoking campaigners fear the rapid growth of tobacco-free cigarettes could undermine years of successful anti-smoking efforts.

Of course they fear it. Tobacco-free cigarettes are very effective .. a little too effective. If people stop smoking cigarettes, the anti-smoking campaigners will be out of a job.

Edited by Vein Capital
  • Like 3

Once 'Nanny' has found something to ban, she's always reluctant to relinquish it!

• Like 1

Of course they fear it. Tobacco-free cigarettes are very effective .. a little too effective. If people stop smoking cigarettes, the anti-smoking campaigners will be out of a job.

The larger issue is taxes. Government stands to lose billions if these things really take off.

That's always been the little wink-wink when it comes to Government and the anti-smoking movement. In spite of what they say, Government needs a percentage of the population smoking in order to collect those tax revenues.

It's no different than gas guzzling autos - how much money does the Government make when I fill up my Suburban vs plug in my Volt?

Edited by Rafterman

If all those anti-smoking efforts were so successful, why do they fear electronic, tobacco-free cigars?

• Like 2

If all those anti-smoking efforts were so successful, why do they fear electronic, tobacco-free cigars?

Because, GASP, there's reduced health risks. It gets under their skin that smoking, which has been an anathema in most social circles in recent years, is now making a public come back as something people can enjoy without the numerous health risks. I'll agree that 'e-cigs' probably still aren't that safe, but I'm sure they're safer then the cancer sticks I smoke.

• Like 2

Who the hell really wants to walk around sucking on a battery operated water vapor machine? Maybe just people who really want to quit the real deal but these will never replace tobacco because no one is going to become an electronic smoker without first being a real smoker and either way unless you have a serious oral fixation complex nobody is going to become addicted to inhaling water vapor which btw I can't see being to good for your lungs in the long run either. These will only take off when someone figures out how to modify them into something that you can catch a buzz off of.

• Like 2

What about if we improve the design of these E-cigarettes to look like Asthma inhalers?

Tbh the current ones are getting very close to the general shape of them.

Surely the anti-smoking lobby will calm down with that kind of initiative.

Btw I'm a compulsive smoker and whatever trick they play this guy's not for turning.

I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime.

Edited by Walnut Whip

The anti smoking campaigns and the products used therein ,are owned by tobacco companies.

Smart huh. They own tabacco,and stuff used to quit ,so they make money either way .

It's obvious tobacco free ,isn't owned by them ,so they make no money at all .

Tut tut .

The draw back of electronic cigarettes is,they have been know to explode ,injuring people .

And before anyone says,OH NOES ,YOU'RE WRONG.I GOOGLED IT !

tabacco cos are completely tied in financially with the pharmaceutical companies that make the quitting adjuncts.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=195192

They are all very much in bed with one another,and they all make huge bucks ,wether you smoke,quit,or get heart disease or cancer from smoking .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

The anti smoking campaigns and the products used therein ,are owned by tobacco companies.

Smart huh. They own tabacco,and stuff used to quit ,so they make money either way .

It's obvious tobacco free ,isn't owned by them ,so they make no money at all .

Tut tut .

The draw back of electronic cigarettes is,they have been know to explode ,injuring people .

And before anyone says,OH NOES ,YOU'RE WRONG.I GOOGLED IT !

tabacco cos are completely tied in financially with the pharmaceutical companies that make the quitting adjuncts.

http://jama.jamanetw...rticleid=195192

They are all very much in bed with one another,and they all make huge bucks ,wether you smoke,quit,or get heart disease or cancer from smoking .

Yes but the tobacco only fund the anti-smoking ads because it was part of the settlement for the huge tobacco lawsuits a few years back. Unfortunately that was back when more people smoked, so there was more money for teh anti-smoking campaigners to extort. Now that the number of smokers is actually dropping, the well is starting to dry up, so the campaigners have to take their anti-business in a different direction if they want to stay anti-competitive. The campaigners don't actually want you to quit smoking, they just want you to feel miserable and guilty about it.

• Like 1

i have tried these electronic cigarettes and the only issue i had was that they are fairly heavy. other than that they curb the urge and there is no smoke inhaled

edit to add:

the one i tried looked like a cigarette, not like the barrel thing in the pic shown on the link

Edited by JGirl

Who the hell really wants to walk around sucking on a battery operated water vapor machine? Maybe just people who really want to quit the real deal but these will never replace tobacco because no one is going to become an electronic smoker without first being a real smoker and either way unless you have a serious oral fixation complex nobody is going to become addicted to inhaling water vapor which btw I can't see being to good for your lungs in the long run either. These will only take off when someone figures out how to modify them into something that you can catch a buzz off of.

they are inhaling nicotine, not just water vapor.

i have tried these electronic cigarettes and the only issue i had was that they are fairly heavy. other than that they curb the urge and there is no smoke inhaled

And you can take a couple of hits off it without feeling obligated to smoke a whole cigarette.

• Like 1

And you can take a couple of hits off it without feeling obligated to smoke a whole cigarette.

yes exactly - and i could also have a puff or two while in the house which is something i can't do with a normal cigarette. there is no smell and no smoke.

Seems to be a win-win for everybody.

Smoking is bad for you, we all know that, but some people just aren't going to quit.

This sort of thing allows them to still do it, and makes it much safer for everyone.

I think its a great idea.

Light em up! (figuratively speaking)

Why are the anti-smoking people upset?

Just a different way to get your nicotine fix. It may be healthier but hardly healthy. Shouldn´t be promoted on TV IMO.

Seems to be a win-win for everybody.

Smoking is bad for you, we all know that, but some people just aren't going to quit.

This sort of thing allows them to still do it, and makes it much safer for everyone.

I think its a great idea.

Light em up! (figuratively speaking)

Why are the anti-smoking people upset?

i think it's a great alternative for those who do not want to quit their nicotine addiction. the electronic cigarette is perfectly safe for one's body, does not give off any chemicals or smoke to anyone else in the area, does not smell, does not make a mess, does not hurt anyone.

my only problem with it was the weight of it. some might not find that a deterrant - i'm figuring they'll make them lighter in future.

What would happen though if everybody stopped smoking overnight?

They will increase taxes on anything that it isn't bolted down.

Then create an anti E cigarette group to keep us on our toes.

The government will attempt anything to fill the coffers.

Even after their little money spinner has bit the dust.

• Like 1

Just a different way to get your nicotine fix. It may be healthier but hardly healthy. Shouldn´t be promoted on TV IMO.

I don't know much about the health risk of nicotine, but it is nowhere near the main risk of smoking. When people talk about smoke-free policies and campaigns, they're don't mean nicotine-free. It's not nicotine that's the problem, it's the method of delivery that's the real killer.

So, as a previous poster wrote. What's the problem with advertising these? A less lethal method of nicotine delivery? God forbid.

I don't know much about the health risk of nicotine, but it is nowhere near the main risk of smoking. When people talk about smoke-free policies and campaigns, they're don't mean nicotine-free. It's not nicotine that's the problem, it's the method of delivery that's the real killer.

So, as a previous poster wrote. What's the problem with advertising these? A less lethal method of nicotine delivery? God forbid.

These devices keep you hooked both physically and psychologically as you are still getting your nic fix AND still engaging in the ritual of "smoking". Remember "popeye" cigarettes?

These devices keep you hooked both physically and psychologically as you are still getting your nic fix AND still engaging in the ritual of "smoking". Remember "popeye" cigarettes?

But, if it reduces health risks significantly, what's the problem?

What would happen though if everybody stopped smoking overnight?

They will increase taxes on anything that it isn't bolted down.

Then create an anti E cigarette group to keep us on our toes.

The government will attempt anything to fill the coffers.

Even after their little money spinner has bit the dust.

Why do you think Nanny Bloomberg in NY has outlawed, yes OUTLAWED, large soft drinks and not cigarettes? It's isn't about anyone's health. It's about 2 smaller drinks of equal size to the outlawed larger drinks cost more money therefor more tax revenue is gained. It seems ridiculous because I can't see a real significant boost in revenue but if he was so concerned over the "widespread" health risks of a large pop why on Earth wouldn't he be the most outspoken cigarette Nazi the world has ever known? I'm not trying to make sense out of liberal government here because that's like trying to figure out women but all I can see from such a thing is either a boost in tax revenue or just wielding power over the people. My guess is both.

I don't see any problem unless they're advertising them as a new product to try. Like The Patch and Nicorette, these should be directed at current smokers only and not something new to try for anybody else. They can't possibly be healthier for a non-smoker unless you have amphibious genes and your lungs require extra moisture or you have a desire to be hooked on water vapor because if they contain nicotine I guess they could be addictive which is contrary to what I've said before about them not being so. I didn't know they had nicotine. Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Brother and his girlfriend, both faifly heavy smokers since the 80's bought some of these about a year ago and quit like that *snaps fingers

• Like 1

Like Mr_Fes- said above, if they are marketing them as a new product to try then you are really just setting people up to eventually smoke. I´d like to see long-term statistics on how effective these are in getting people to stop smoking cigarettes permenantly.

Actually when my brother used these to quit he started off with the nicotene inserts and soon weened himself off and changed to non-nicoteen inserts, so still maintaned the feeling of smoking but without the harmful chemicals or terrible odor that comes from tobacco. Edited by OverSword