Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pagan beliefs included in school RE

Still Waters

Paganism has been included in an official school religious education syllabus for the first time.

Cornwall Council has told its schools that pagan beliefs, which include witchcraft, druidism and the worship of ancient gods such as Thor, should be taught alongside Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The requirements are spelled out in an agreed syllabus drawn up by Cornwall’s RE advisory group.

It says that from the age of five, children should begin learning about standing stones, such as Stonehenge. At the age of 11, pupils can begin exploring ‘modern paganism and its importance for many in Cornwall’.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• spud the mackem

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Kaikou

Cool, I always enjoyed learning about pagan religions as a kid more than the Abrahamic ones.

And why not? It's one of the most enduring religions, and an important part of history.

As long as it is done strictly for education then I think other beliefs should be mentioned.

R.E should include all forms of religion. I wonder what the Cathlic schools will have to say about it.

One snip from the article would have us believe that christainity was here first.

''But the council’s initiative has dismayed some Christian campaigners, who are alarmed that a religion once regarded as a fringe eccentricity is increasingly gaining official recognition.''

:wacko:

I don't think any religions should be taught about in schools... but if they're going to be I'm glad pagan religions made the cut

Since religions have been a very formative part of the human experience I see no problem at all with this course. I'd like to learn about it myself. It's interesting to see how mankind's understanding of God has changed over time. The most important lesson as I see it is that man HAS always looked for God, feeling He exists but not knowing how to make contact in an intimate way.

Since religions have been a very formative part of the human experience I see no problem at all with this course. I'd like to learn about it myself. It's interesting to see how mankind's understanding of God has changed over time. The most important lesson as I see it is that man HAS always looked for God, feeling He exists but not knowing how to make contact in an intimate way.

I agree, but beside somebody belief or cultural background or traditional heritage. Its positive, becuase it gives insight in the actual culture. And how culture has evolved. And that gives also a better insight in ancient history, about hows and why the behaved in a precise manner and did what they did. :)

thats awesome-i think if you are going to teach about religion, it should be all religions :) paganism doesnt get as much recognition as the others do, and theres so many misconceptions about it

Pity they didn't do this years ago

I wonder what the Cathlic schools will have to say about it.

Oh no, people will learn more and know we have taken more from the pagans than we can chew w00t.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

That's good to hear ~ Catholics schools educate the kids on most religions, so let's hope they are fair to our Pagan friends :innocent:

I wonder when will Roman polytheism get into school?

I want to believe in Jupiter and Minerva! :w00t:

Personally Im glad that Ceaser stop druidism. I never liked religions which involve human sacrifice.

Sorry but this is BS.

Edited by Melo

I wonder when will Roman polytheism get into school?

I want to believe in Jupiter and Minerva! :w00t:

Personally Im glad that Ceaser stop druidism. I never liked religions which involve human sacrifice.

Sorry but this is BS.

It gets in early, via Literature and World History.

I am quite pleased that Paganism will be included .

I wonder what the Cathlic schools will have to say about it.

Well they'll say (if the Australian ones are anything to go by) "any aspect of that Pagan belief or just the belief system in general?" Because as part of RE lesson we do explore other faiths.

I think teaching about world religions in school opens minds to understand we are not all the same. I have meet a lot of kids who think everyone in the US are Christians. I am always happy to enlighten them. Pagan religions are a part of the history of mankind and current part of society, awareness of them should be taught in school. Good for the Brits for doing that.

I think all religion should be taught from an educational perspective. How they influenced civilization, historic (actual) events.

As a pagan, all I can say is I am SOOOO happy that they are doing this. Pity that they are not doing it all over the world. I personally find it hard to relate to other who come from other background of religion. Im glad that they are educating the population. Pity its taken them a few 100 years to do this.

*waves pom poms*

Bout time !

Damn, you beat me to it!

but yeah you're right though. took them long enough.

We no longer live in a world (well at least in the United States), where one religion is so much a part of the cultural fabric that any other belief system would be a real threat to the stability of the state. I am glad those days are over. I think it a good idea to study the pagan path, I have done so for years and it was both mind expanding and allowed me to grow in understanding their life choices. We should never fear knowledge, ignorance yes, now that should be feared. To Study other religions and philosphies can actually deepen ones faith as well as seeing how there are points of connection with others who think and believe differently.

Peace

mark

Damn, you beat me to it!

but yeah you're right though. took them long enough.

Dark Enity, can't see you doing poms poms :su:st:su

Peace

mark

Because as part of RE lesson we do explore other faiths.

Where i come from any time we attended RE lessons in any school ... We never ever were taught about other faiths.. All they stuck with was - Christianity.. And I am not kidding

If you lived over here and wanted to learn about other faiths, you go to a library ....They may teach some other faiths in university but not the primary or secondary schools that are Christian.....

Dark Enity, can't see you doing poms poms :su:st:su

Peace

mark

Oh you haven't seen me on the weekends! :ph34r:

Just kidding :P

I came from the North of England a few years ago,to Darkest Somerset in the South West of UK,through work,so I thought I would have a go at educating the Natives HA ha,so far I've failed miserably as they still build Wicker Men,and dance around a fire in the local woods,chanting strange songs..Go into a local bar and unless you have someone in the local churchyard,you are considered to be a "furriner"(foreigner)".or a "Grockle"(not of these 'ere parts then),or outsider...Weird folk all

Where i come from any time we attended RE lessons in any school ... We never ever were taught about other faiths.. All they stuck with was - Christianity.. And I am not kidding

If you lived over here and wanted to learn about other faiths, you go to a library ....They may teach some other faiths in university but not the primary or secondary schools that are Christian.....

Hiya Becky's Mom,no offence meant but I t'aught all the world t'inks the Irish folk are "Pagans",so they do..ha ha.."slainte".