Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK warns gay travel'rs about US anti-LGBT la

LV-426

UK warns gay travellers about US anti-LGBT laws

I was slightly reluctant to post this one. It feels a little like rolling a powder keg into a room full of smokers :unsure2:

I'm already anticipating "Butt out of American affairs limies!", along with a massive range of views swinging from left to right with all the brutality of the titular torture device in the Pit and the Pendulum.

Me? I'll be stood outside the room with my fingers in my ears! Don't shoot the messenger!

It really does open up a whole load of interesting questions though; State Laws versus Federal laws, "religious liberty" - where do one person's liberties end and another person's liberties begin with "liberty and justice for all"? Does America have a responibility to lead the Western world by example, and if so what should that example be? Is it hypocritical to criticize religions such as Islam for intolerance when laws such as this can be passed in modern day America? Or has liberalism in the U.S. crossed a line, and we're now seeing the backlash?

Have at it, cousins! ;)

• Like 3

Don't worry, all you people with your prissy accents sound gay to us so we just figure you're straight. :gun:

Just kidding.

Seriously, this is a big overreaction. Ridiculous really. It's not like we're Saudi Arabia or North Korea. They should warn them that if they get sick they will have to pay for their prescription. That's much more applicable.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

IMHO, it's just a bit of piling on. It's another way to add pressure to those states to change their stances.

Honestly, how many gay couples in the UK were thinking of visiting Mississippi?

Edited by supervike
  • Like 7

Why should they be warned about the laws alone? the laws are passed in certain areas because the people demand it:

"The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes toward LGBT people differ hugely across the country," a travel advisory from the UK reads.

Newly passed laws in both states allow businesses to refuse service to LGBT people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36104879

They should be warning them about the area and the "attitudes" of certain people there, if they still decide to go, then it is at their own risk....TBO, I think it is disgusting that people have to watch where they go because people who do not know them...hate them!!

But this is not new news.

• Like 3

Nice bit of getting their own back for the way the State Dept always issue these warnings that Americans should not travel to here, there or anywhere .

• Like 2

Why should they be warned about the laws alone? the laws are passed in certain areas because the people demand it:

really?! Laws are passed because people demand it? You're going to try to tell us next that politicians are elected because the people demand it!
  • Like 1

I can't blame them for issuing a travelers warning. There are places that are aggressive, and I think it's wiser for them to say something than to risk their citizens meeting up with bad behavior when abroad. That's what traveler warnings are for.

• Like 2

Laws are passed because 1) people have damandes it, that is true. 2) Politicians Religious beliefs 3) lobbyists paying money to politicians to change te law

The Supreme Court helps protect people from infringements on thier rights.

• Like 1

really?! Laws are passed because people demand it? You're going to try to tell us next that politicians are elected because the people demand it!

There has to be a reason for this:

also protects dozens of forms of businesses and services from being prosecuted by the government for refusing to serve LGBT people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-36104879

actually, no you are right, they may not have demanded it as such, but I would bet a quid the peoples attitude in those areas towards gay people is the reason for it. :yes: (that's not even rocket science)

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

If there are laws that allow non-provision of service to a certsin group of people, it's their duty to inform travellers of those laws.

• Like 1

I guess I'm out of the loop a bit...Which law, and what does it specifically do, that is so appalling that it would cause a travel warning?

Is it just the bit about the 'boys must use the boys room, girls the girls room'?

• Like 3

How horrible we are for expecting a man to use a man's restroom and woman to use a woman's.

• Like 5

I guess I'm out of the loop a bit...Which law, and what does it specifically do, that is so appalling that it would cause a travel warning?

Is it just the bit about the 'boys must use the boys room, girls the girls room'?

I may be mistaken, but I think it's the bathroom thing and the "we don't serve your kind" laws. In combination, it can make for some tough traveling in some places for LGBTQ community..

And I'm not being mean, but dang, they gotta come up with a better name than that. Sometimes it's hard to remember what all letters are currently being included or not in that one.

• Like 2

A Bill that puts religious rights over personal freedom, sounds a bit like Saudi Arabia to me. I think the UK is has a duty to warn it's gay citizens that they will be discriminated against if they travel in the Southern United States.Personally, I hope they take heed and spend their cash elsewhere.

Come to Canada instead.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon
  • Like 3

Unless they're planning on having a marriage here, I don't think they'll have much problems with anti-gay laws. Discrimination maybe, depending on if you meet a gay-hater, but those types are in every country.

• Like 3

I may be mistaken, but I think it's the bathroom thing and the "we don't serve your kind" laws. In combination, it can make for some tough traveling in some places for LGBTQ community..

And I'm not being mean, but dang, they gotta come up with a better name than that. Sometimes it's hard to remember what all letters are currently being included or not in that one.

I've never liked how they lump lesbians, gays and bisexuals together with transexuals. One group are people who have non-standard sexual preferences in their partners while the other group genuinely believes they are something that physical reality says they aren't.

• Like 3

If TV and Internet doesn't dissuade them, government warnings won't do a thing.

• Like 1

I think it is disgusting that people have to watch where they go because people who do not know them...hate them!!

Then you would make a terrible American. The secret is to not give a flip what others think of you and also to make sure you're loud gross and opinionated at all times :lol:
  • Like 1

What the heck is the 'Q' added on there? Is that new?

But honestly, do the laws just give people the right to say 'we don't want your kind here', or is there more hoop jumping involved?

Does anyone know of a specific situation in which this law applies?

What the heck is the 'Q' added on there? Is that new?

But honestly, do the laws just give people the right to say 'we don't want your kind here', or is there more hoop jumping involved?

Does anyone know of a specific situation in which this law applies?

Well i know that in AZ there was a huge push to legally allow discrimination against gay customers but it kind of fell apart because there arent any real protections from it happening now as it is.

Good for the brits I think i would like a heads up if i were traveling to a nation which allowed for discrimination against me for any reason.

EDIT TO ADD: Ahh the south. An article just popped up on my newsfeed that the NBA is gonna pull the all star game from North Carolina due to their gay laws, apparently sodomy is illegal there : http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4702832-nba-all-star-game-charlotte-north-carolina-anti-lgbt-law-adam-silver

Edited by Farmer77

I was slightly reluctant to post this one. It feels a little like rolling a powder keg into a room full of smokers :unsure2:

I'm already anticipating "Butt out of American affairs limies!", along with a massive range of views swinging from left to right with all the brutality of the titular torture device in the Pit and the Pendulum.

Me? I'll be stood outside the room with my fingers in my ears! Don't shoot the messenger!

It really does open up a whole load of interesting questions though; State Laws versus Federal laws, "religious liberty" - where do one person's liberties end and another person's liberties begin with "liberty and justice for all"? Does America have a responibility to lead the Western world by example, and if so what should that example be? Is it hypocritical to criticize religions such as Islam for intolerance when laws such as this can be passed in modern day America? Or has liberalism in the U.S. crossed a line, and we're now seeing the backlash?

Have at it, cousins! ;)

Have at it, cousins! ;)

it seems that if your Christian, your rights stop at your door.

it seems that if your Christian, your rights stop at your door.

How so?

The Supreme Court helps protect people from infringements on thier rights.

not lately.

• Like 1

How so?

many on here say leave your religion at home or in the church. if your Christian. all other religions are excluded.

Edited by danielost

many on here say leave your religion at home or in the church. if your Christian. all other religions are excluded.

Example, please.